Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there something wrong?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Is there something wrong with just making a quilt because you like the pattern. When I start a new quilt my DH asks, "Who gets that one"? Does it have to be for someone special? I don't have a lot of space to store quilts. It seems that he thinks that I need to give away a quilt as soon as it's done or have a time limit when it will go. Is it selfish to just want to make them? Do they always have to go? Thanks for your replies. BrendaK

I have a lot of "just for me" quilts. Does hubby not collect anything?

I try not to "store" my quilts - they're on display. They're artwork to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaK
    Is there something wrong with just making a quilt because you like the pattern. When I start a new quilt my DH asks, "Who gets that one"? Does it have to be for someone special? I don't have a lot of space to store quilts. It seems that he thinks that I need to give away a quilt as soon as it's done or have a time limit when it will go. Is it selfish to just want to make them? Do they always have to go? Thanks for your replies. BrendaK
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with making a quilt just because you like the pattern. Actually, that's the only reason any of mine have been made. Almost every quilt I thought I was going to keep has been given away.At least if you have one or two just hanging around, there's a convenient gift available when it's needed. One of my girls leaves presents until the last minute, then comes over and say "I need a present for ?SIL grandmothers 80th birthday" and magically there's one available. But, there are a couple that will never be given away. They're mine and I made them just because I can.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Your DH sounds waaaay too practical!! He doesn't appear to "get" our love of creating.
    Keep on!! :D

My dh collects computer parts .. I make quilts. I keep it untill I know who is going to get it. I like to look at them for awhile. After all It took awhile to make them. I like them to have a life before giving them away. You never know how its going to be treated.

Blog Entries
    Nah, I make quilts cause I want to! Sooner or later it will find a homel. Artist paint just because!!

Your married life is too predictable. Can you build some intrigue and mystery into your homelife? How about giving him a reply such as, "oh, it's a secret; you'll know one day..." or "I'm doing some experimentation with the colors; I don't have all the answers yet, but time will tell!"

nope tell him "this one is just for me to look at" Does he have his own quilt? Maybe he would like one of his own to cuddle on the couch.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yonnikka
    Your married life is too predictable. Can you build some intrigue and mystery into your homelife? How about giving him a reply such as, "oh, it's a secret; you'll know one day..." or "I'm doing some experimentation with the colors; I don't have all the answers yet, but time will tell!"
    Married 47 years so you might be correct. I like the color answer. BrendaK

I seldom have someone in mind when I make a quilt. I make them because I love to do it. I make string squares and/or quilts for donations just because it's relaxing.

Susan

Blog Entries
    All of the quilts that I have made are because I like the pattern. I've made two quilts that were for a certain person since I started quilting again last year. One was for my 5yr old grandson and the other for my newest granddaughter. Everyone always asked me the same thing; who's it for; I tell them I don't know; maybe I'll keep it. I just like creating and making it happen; it's a great feeling

I've recently done several quilts just because I loved the fabric. They aren't necessarily for me but I'm thinking at Christmastime I won't be nearly as stressed as I've been in the past.

I do it all the time. Creating is what I like. Right now in the spare bedroom there's 5 quilts layered on the bed because I've no where else to put them. My sweet man asks the same thing all the time. But he only makes things that he needs. I asked him when he goes fishing if he's bringing back supper and most of the time he says no. So in my eyes that's the same as me making quilts. You fish for no reason, other than to drink beer and stink. He says its relaxing, so is sewing, and let me tell you fishing can be just as expensive as quilting.

I make a quilt just because I like it. I have a stack of quilt tops now.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaK
    Sorry about hubby. But the quilt will be yours. Enjoy it as you wish.

I tell my hubby "it's another one for the girls to fight over when I'm dead." "The girls" are my 4 granddaughters and one daughter in law.

I have to like the pattern, no matter who gets the quilt. If I do not like the pattern I will not enjoy sewing and therefore the quilt will never be made.

The way I see it, why is it people think we have to do all this work to just give it away. Maybe we are doing it for ourselves or just for the pleasure of making it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all your replies. My DH is very supportive and will point out Quilt Stores when we are out and about. I guess since we are on a limited budget that I was beginning to feel quilty. But since I do pay for most of the fabric and supplies with my own monies he doesn't say too much. WOW just had an idea. maybe he is asking because if it's for one of his friends he will foot the bill. Should have thought of that sooner. I do have a panel that I will be making him his own quilt. We do have a quilt I made (Around the World) at the foot of the bed. My DGD went through my stash. Picked out quite a few pieces for me to make her some clothes. He asked me when I was going to start on them, told him I needed a pattern and he said well it's been a while since we went to Joanns so maybe we should plan a trip. Thanks all. BrendaK

I haven't been quilting long. But last fall I started my avatar, just because it seemed like a cool looking quilt. I was asked many times who is it for, what are you going to do with it. My answer was, I don't know I just want to make it.

As I was nearing the end of the hand quilting process, my nephew had just finished Air Force basic training asked if he would ever get a quilt I made. I asked if he liked the one I was working on and he loved it. So a home was found. Since then, I have found that whenever I start one just because it finds a home by the time it is done.

I quilt for my own pleasure. I enjoy the process as much as the outcome. Some get given away, most don't. I like to look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs
    Nah, I make quilts cause I want to! Sooner or later it will find a homel. Artist paint just because!!
    exactly.I may keep,sell or give away.or hoard in bins upstairs,lol

SVS your hubby doesn't seem to understand that sometimes a quilt isn't being made for someone specific but rather just "because." For me, it's a matter of liking a particular fabric print, wanting to test out a new pattern or sometimes because I need to make one (like a baby's quilt for a gift). Whatever the reason, the need to want to quilt is a personal choice like a hobby and not necessarily because you have someone that you MUST give it to before starting the project.

Tell hubby you are making the quilt so he won't have to pay for therapy.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast