Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there something wrong? >

Is there something wrong?

Is there something wrong?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 AM

My love of fabric is the reason I quilt. After a while new fabric takes the place of....and another new fabric....etc.
The new wears off and I can give it away without too much effort.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:39 AM

I make some for people. My kids really but then some I just want to make. ;) Nothing wrong with having quilts. Tell him that Angie from KY was in the ice storm and everyone was without power for a min. of 4 or 5 days some much longer and into a month or more. Quilts keep you warm. ;) We had our 5 kids, my mother in law and a couple staying with my husband and I with our 2 dogs. FULL HOUSE! We didn't freeze. ;)
Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Originally Posted by BrendaK
Is there something wrong with just making a quilt because you like the pattern. When I start a new quilt my DH asks, "Who gets that one"? Does it have to be for someone special? I don't have a lot of space to store quilts. It seems that he thinks that I need to give away a quilt as soon as it's done or have a time limit when it will go. Is it selfish to just want to make them? Do they always have to go? Thanks for your replies. BrendaK
Perhaps he's just making conversation and being interested in the quilts!
Maybe he's hinting for a quilt for him. ;)
Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 AM

I too like to just make a quilt without a particular person in mind. In fact I hand pieced and quilted the triangles that make the swirls on the quilt show opening. Thought I would made it wider but got tired of doing so many black triangles. Finished it off and DH asked who is it for? I said me. Too narrow for my anatomy so I told him to save it for my casket and not buy flowers. He thought I was crazy but I'm serious. Pieces of fabric give me piece of mind.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I give away lots of the quilts I make, some are kept for our bed and some are kept until I find someone that needs a quilt. Always my choice of fabrics, colors and pattern and I decide who gets which one.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Maybe hubby is just trying to have 'open communication' with you, not really expecting you to make the quilt for someone special?

I love to make quilts just for me, or grand kids. Just make em cuz you love to.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:23 PM

I make them all for me, usually because I like the pattern. But allow me to correct myself. There are couple that when quilted will be for my daughter, my sisters, and I already gave one to each of my grandkids. The current one is the works is for my son in law. Hubby will get a Kokopelli dresden plate design. I have a closet full, all mine!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:50 PM

My husband asks me what I'm going to do with that one too. I don't make large quilts, I've been making wall hangings and mini's. This way I can play with the designs, fabric, quilting and I have them hanging all over the place. And it keeps me sane! Well i think it does LOL
Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 PM

Maybe DH is just making conversation??? Trying to show interest in what you are doing?? Just be honest and tell him you make them because you like to, and thanks for being interested in what you are doing. Ask him what colors he likes best. Ask his opinion on certain patterns, and does he have a favorite. My hubby likes what I do, and I found out he likes the geometric designs, and autumn colors.... He appreciates that quilting is my "therapy". We have been married for over 59 years. If all else, just smile sweetly and wink at him. ;)
Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM

When I first started quilting......I think it was my fourth or fifth one was a "trip around the world". I made it in black,brown,rust,gray,white etc......It took me a long time because I wanted it to be big enough for two people to snuggle under.......he(hubby) watched me and several times I asked him how he liked it.....very nice he said. When I finished it I walked into his tv room and covered him up with it. He had this puzzled look on his face. When I told him it was for him...the look he had on his face was priceless I will never forget it. He said he was afraid he would spill something on it. I told him I had made it in dark colors for just that reason. He asked why I had made it so big and I told him I just might want to join him under the quilt. He could not believe I had spent all that time making it for him. He has used it every day since. So try making one for your husband and surprise him with it. It looks pretty faded and worn as it has been washed many times. I am going to try to surprise him with a new one for Christmas.