Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thinking of selling fabric. Need your help. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thinking-selling-fabric-need-your-help-t101348.html)

JanetWall 02-20-2011 05:50 AM

I was thinking of sell fabric on the web. It will cost alot to get started. I can't stand it when you got get fabric and you tell them 2 yards and don't get a little extra for straitening up. They give you what you ask for. So I thought I would sell fabric. What do you think good idea or not. Aslo will have charm packs . Please give me your ideas.

Rebecca VLQ 02-20-2011 05:53 AM

Well, truthfully now's a hard time to get started with that. Cotton is rumored to go up, and I've gotten emails from suppliers saying as much. Get ya a business plan with a budget. Where are you gonna come up with the money? If it's credit, you're betting on folks knowing you exist and spending the dollars. How are they going to find you? And know you're legit?

Maride 02-20-2011 05:56 AM

Other people that sell fabric on the web don't really know what you will use it for. You order 2 yards and you get two yards. Any extra breaks into their profit, and that is why they are in business to begin with. I wish you good luck in your plans.

quiltmaker 02-20-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by JanetWall
I was thinking of sell fabric on the web. It will cost alot to get started. I can't stand it when you got get fabric and you tell them 2 yards and don't get a little extra for straitening up. They give you what you ask for. So I thought I would sell fabric. What do you think good idea or not. Aslo will have charm packs . Please give me your ideas.

Depends on whom your purchasing from...one Ebay seller I frequently purchase from always gives you at least 3 - 4 extra inches. The people I have purchased from on this board have always been extremely generous with giving you even more than that so I have really been happy purchasing from them.

There are numerous online shops that do give you a bit more. I think it's mainly the big box stores/LQS that are more likely to cut the exact yardage or maybe a tad bit more so they are not cutting into their profit.

That said, I agree that today might not be the best time to open a shop unless you have the finances that can comfortably get through the time establishing your business and being able to get through the lean times without creating a debt burden on yourself or your family.

ptquilts 02-20-2011 06:13 AM

the main thing you have to decide is, How will your customers find you? Google "fabric" and see how many millions of sites come up. What will make yours different?

Izaquilter 02-20-2011 06:32 AM

If you do sell fabric on here, let me know! That is one of my pet peeves when I buy fabric is they don't give you enough to straighten up.

Tinabodina 02-20-2011 06:35 AM

I also thought of this and checked into it. There is so much competition out there. Be sure you check it out first. We decided not to.

Terryl 02-20-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Well, truthfully now's a hard time to get started with that. Cotton is rumored to go up, and I've gotten emails from suppliers saying as much. Get ya a business plan with a budget. Where are you gonna come up with the money? If it's credit, you're betting on folks knowing you exist and spending the dollars. How are they going to find you? And know you're legit?

Just yesterday I was having a conversation with an aquaintence that is in the clothing manufacturing business and he said the cost of cotton went up $.70 from Monday to yesterday, he said he had a contract with a manufacturer in India for a set price for 2 weeks and when he faxed back his signed agreement the declined it and said the price had already risen.

JanetWall 02-20-2011 09:01 AM

I know Fabric is going up. Not going to be credit. I guess I would just have to take to chance on people finding me. If I dont make it I will have a big stash.

jaciqltznok 03-27-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by JanetWall

I know Fabric is going up. Not going to be credit. I guess I would just have to take to chance on people finding me. If I dont make it I will have a big stash.

now is the time to start this adventure! it is a tough industry and even the big guys are feeling the punch!