Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thinking of selling fabric. Need your help.

I was thinking of sell fabric on the web. It will cost alot to get started. I can't stand it when you got get fabric and you tell them 2 yards and don't get a little extra for straitening up. They give you what you ask for. So I thought I would sell fabric. What do you think good idea or not. Aslo will have charm packs . Please give me your ideas.

Well, truthfully now's a hard time to get started with that. Cotton is rumored to go up, and I've gotten emails from suppliers saying as much. Get ya a business plan with a budget. Where are you gonna come up with the money? If it's credit, you're betting on folks knowing you exist and spending the dollars. How are they going to find you? And know you're legit?

Other people that sell fabric on the web don't really know what you will use it for. You order 2 yards and you get two yards. Any extra breaks into their profit, and that is why they are in business to begin with. I wish you good luck in your plans.

Quote Originally Posted by JanetWall
    I was thinking of sell fabric on the web. It will cost alot to get started. I can't stand it when you got get fabric and you tell them 2 yards and don't get a little extra for straitening up. They give you what you ask for. So I thought I would sell fabric. What do you think good idea or not. Aslo will have charm packs . Please give me your ideas.

Depends on whom your purchasing from...one Ebay seller I frequently purchase from always gives you at least 3 - 4 extra inches. The people I have purchased from on this board have always been extremely generous with giving you even more than that so I have really been happy purchasing from them.

There are numerous online shops that do give you a bit more. I think it's mainly the big box stores/LQS that are more likely to cut the exact yardage or maybe a tad bit more so they are not cutting into their profit.

That said, I agree that today might not be the best time to open a shop unless you have the finances that can comfortably get through the time establishing your business and being able to get through the lean times without creating a debt burden on yourself or your family.

the main thing you have to decide is, How will your customers find you? Google "fabric" and see how many millions of sites come up. What will make yours different?

Blog Entries
    If you do sell fabric on here, let me know! That is one of my pet peeves when I buy fabric is they don't give you enough to straighten up.

I also thought of this and checked into it. There is so much competition out there. Be sure you check it out first. We decided not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Well, truthfully now's a hard time to get started with that. Cotton is rumored to go up, and I've gotten emails from suppliers saying as much. Get ya a business plan with a budget. Where are you gonna come up with the money? If it's credit, you're betting on folks knowing you exist and spending the dollars. How are they going to find you? And know you're legit?
    Just yesterday I was having a conversation with an aquaintence that is in the clothing manufacturing business and he said the cost of cotton went up $.70 from Monday to yesterday, he said he had a contract with a manufacturer in India for a set price for 2 weeks and when he faxed back his signed agreement the declined it and said the price had already risen.

I know Fabric is going up. Not going to be credit. I guess I would just have to take to chance on people finding me. If I dont make it I will have a big stash.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetWall
    I know Fabric is going up. Not going to be credit. I guess I would just have to take to chance on people finding me. If I dont make it I will have a big stash.
    now is the time to start this adventure! it is a tough industry and even the big guys are feeling the punch!

Blog Entries
    I think the it's too risky at the present time unless you are independently wealthy and can stand a loss in your liquid assets.

Many small businesses fail within the first three years because they don't have all the components in place -- a written plan, sufficient financing, ability to advertise, ability to manage, ability to control costs, quality control, etc.

i've been thinking about selling fabric online and at local shows.

the main reason i'm thinking about it is because fabric prices are so high and i'd like to buy it wholesale for me to use and then sell some off to cover costs and make a few bucks (nothing major).

i think if you're looking to make serious money from selling fabric and quit your day job you might want to wait and see what happens over the next year or so before you jump in.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy

the main reason i'm thinking about it is because fabric prices are so high and i'd like to buy it wholesale for me to use and then sell some off to cover costs and make a few bucks (nothing major).

i think if you're looking to make serious money from selling fabric and quit your day job you might want to wait and see what happens over the next year or so before you jump in.
    sounds like an EASY thing to do right?? NOT, most wholesalers require a minimum opening order of $2,000 or more now..with continuing orders totaling another $2,000 through out the year!
    then there is the biz/tax ID, filing the taxes, trust me, it sounds like fun...but it is a huge headache at the end of the day!

I am in the process of closing my online store and still have $40K in inventory to move some how!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy

sounds like an EASY thing to do right?? NOT, most wholesalers require a minimum opening order of $2,000 or more now..with continuing orders totaling another $2,000 through out the year!
    then there is the biz/tax ID, filing the taxes, trust me, it sounds like fun...but it is a huge headache at the end of the day!

I am in the process of closing my online store and still have $40K in inventory to move some how!
    i'm already a self employed artist so this would just be an add on part of my existing business.

the $4000 a year or so is not a problem for me.

i work full time as an artist and have the assets to support the that kind of out lay.

Personally, I think an online business is just too risky. There are so many things to consider:

Are you going to take credit cards? If so, you will need to figure in the fees you will be charged for transactions.

How much does your bank charge for a business account? How much will the bank charge for nsf checks and return charges?

Don't forget shipping charges to you as well as to the customer. Plus you will have shipping supplies to purchase. That can run a few dollars too.

How will you handle a customer that states they have not received their order? How will you handle returns?

Then, if you do give a few extra inches on each cut of fabric, it won't be long before you have given away a couple yards from each bolt of fabric.

And I'm sure there are many more things that need to be considered as well.

You really need to put a business plan together before doing something like this. Talk with some shop owners and ask them the pitfalls of the business. Ask how long it was before they had an actual profit from the business.

I can understand your discouragement with poorly cut fabric. When the fabric is being cut, if you see the fabric is uneven mention it to the person cutting the fabric. Fabric distorts being wrapped on the bolt. Most of the time I just order 1/4yd more than I need. I feel this will allow for shrink factor and squaring the fabric.

The way people are right now they are looking for bargains, and the higher the cost the less you sell. I have started several businesses and kept my costs down by not over stocking things right away. Look around your area how is the economy and will you be able to compete if there is another store like yours. If you are looking at selling on line just have to say there are many online stores to compete with. I took a business classes that really helped me learn how things work there is so much that needs to be accounted for. Learn before you lip!

I have done market research, market surveys and written business plans for clients for many years--get some help before you jump in and lose $$$$.

If you want some help on research or a plan, send me a PM.....

I have my stuff on Etsy.com SSStitches