Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: When do you use a walking foot?

I've been in a quilting slump, but this morning I made myself attach my walking foot and sew some seams in a pillowcase I had cut out for my grandson. I know that the walking foot is designed to keep the fabrics from moving, but when does one really improve the finished product. Strip quilts? SID?

I use a walking foot on all my kids charity quilts. I follow the seams and make them like a comforter. Yhis way they stay togrther when washed and get hard use. I have never used it for anything else.

Banned
    I use my walking foot for anything over 2 layers of farbic, unless I am specifically FMQ'ing.

The only time I use my walking foot is when I'm attaching the binding to the front of a finished quilt so that I can turn it to the back and hand stitch it on.

A walking foot is designed to keep the bottom layer and the top layer moving along at the same pace. Think of a walking foot as an upper set of feed dogs.

I use mine for just about everything but FMQ, where feed dogs are not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    A walking foot is designed to keep the bottom layer and the top layer moving along at the same pace. Think of a walking foot as an upper set of feed dogs.

I use mine for just about everything but FMQ, where feed dogs are not needed.
    This. My machine (Pfaff) has a built in walking foot that I use all the time. The only time I can't use it (other than FMQ) is when I use the programmed decorative stitches. I know some machines sew the deco stitches with the walking foot, but mine can't, which gives me some difficulty when I want to use a stitch for a binding.

Blog Entries
    Straight stitching, binding, sewing bulky things like purses/totes.

Blog Entries
    I use mine for straight-line quilting and for sewing the binding to the front of the quilt. I don't like using it to piece with as it is rather large and bulky.

I use mine when sewing long pieces of fabric such as borders and binding and when doing straight stitch quilting.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It also comes in handy when trying to lign up a pattern or plaids.

I'm in the middle of making a Bargello wall hanging for my step daughter. I discovered that using my walking foot when I'm sewing the rows together gives me more control in matching up everything....probably because it's not stretching or pulling the fabric. I also used my seam guide attachment that came with my machine to get better 1/4" seams when I was sewing the strips together for my tubes.

Blog Entries
    the walking foot is not to keep the fabric from moving but to keep the top and the bottom fabrics moving together...it 'walks' the top fabric along with the feed dogs moving the bottom fabric; so any time you want help keeping both even you could try the walking foot.

My Pfaff has the IDT. It is like a built in walking foot you can engage or disengage. I always have it on. It helps with piecing too.

I use mine for many things and just hemmed some jeans for a friend and since it was on, used it....worked much better than using the reg. foot, went right over the side seams...

I know this isn't about your conversation but could you tell me how you like your Pfaff? Also what other machines have quilt foot that will work with other stitches.

My Pfaff machine has a built-in walking foot. I leave it down for most of my sewing. Love it!

I love my Pfaffs- I have 3. I've been using them since I was about 14, and not sure I could buy anything else! ;) Ok, maybe that's not true, but I do love them. They're straight forward to use, very consistent, and I don't have problems with them breaking down.

As for what other machines have a built in walking foot, I've not needed to research buying a new machine, so I can't answer that for you, sorry.

To put on the binding or do stitch in the ditch and that is it.

What is IDT? Is there a place on the Quilting Board that has a list of all the abrreviations used here? I know some of them, figured out some of the others, but there are still several that I have to sit and really try to figure them out.....I have only been quilting a year and a half and some of these abbreviations - I just don't know. I started a list of a lot of them with the meaning beside it, but there are some blanks......Thanks

IDT is Integrated Dual-feed Technology. That is what Pfaff calls their built-in walking foot/even feed system. It isn't a quilter's abbreviation, it is specific to the Pfaff sewing machines.

Okay - thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure to learn it if I needed to know it....