Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So now I am curious. Do you use your walking foot for piecing?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-160386-1.htm

This post talks about using your walking foot or not. When I read through it, it appears some people use their walking foot when piecing. I have never done it, never tried it and was totally unaware of it. After 10 years of quilting I find out that is what some people apparently do.

What am I missing out on? I will have to try it out. I love my quarter inch foot though and I guess it would have to go if I want to try the walking foot to piece. I normally only use my walking foot for putting on the binding or quilting straight lines onto the quilt. So how many of you use a walking foot to piece?

Blog Entries
    My machine does the same thing as a walking foot is supposed to do, so I will keep using my 1/4" foot.

My walking foot is big and bulky, I only use it to bind and do rag quilts. I have sewn binding strips together with walking foot, but prefer the regular 1/4" foot.

Blog Entries
    Only if the pattern on the fabric (like a plaid) needs to be matched. Otherwise no. Now if I were using my Pfaff with the built-in walking foot, then yes.

Blog Entries
    On my Janome 6600 I use the walking foot most of the time. With the dual feed I love it for piecing. Have used my Janome 5024 with the walking foot for piecing also. Although I have 1/4" foot for all 3 Janomes I never use them. I have a mark on the presser foot that I use as a guide. Must admit I use my Memorycraft for embroidery ONLY.

Blog Entries
    I have just bought a 1/4" walking foot for my Janome. I'm going to see if it makes a difference sewing over really bulky seams, as a normal 1/4" foot tends to slide off, so you don't get a nice straight seam

I have used my walking foot to piece but really prefer my 1/4"foot.

Yes, I use my Pfaff for piecing and most of my sewing and quilting, it has a built in walking foot (dual feed) which I keep on all of the time. .

Nope. Mine is big, also, and gets in the way of my guage for my 1/4 in. And its slower, and I don't like the sound when its just sewing 2 layers of fabric.

Nope, I use my 1/4" foot, also.

I don't use a walking foot to piece. I do use it when sewing on a quilt that is sandwiched with batting.

not me. my walking foot came with the machine and its still sealed in the plastic wrap. i've never used it and doubt i ever will.

Blog Entries
    I have Viking machines, and Viking has a walking foot with interchangeable feet on it. So I can have my walking foot and 1/4" too. I just made 2 flannel quilt tops and used the walking foot. So much better than trying to sew straight on flannel without it stretching. Think I will use it for all piecing from now on, goes so nice over joining seams without any shifting. LOVE IT! I will try it on bias seams too.

Funny this should come up. Yesterday, my sister was sewing together the strips of her first OBW and was having problems. My first question was did you pin? Second, was are you using your walking foot?

I use my walking foot to piece alot.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyl
    Nope, I use my 1/4" foot, also.
    :thumbup: Me too. I only use my walking foot if I have several thick layers.

NO, I only use my walking foot for binding in quilting, also for regular sewing on velvets and corduroy and such.

I just use my walking foot for quilting.

I just use mine for quilting, it's pretty big and too noisy.

I have used my walking foot for piecing. It is a little bit harder to gauge the 1/4 inch but the results are nice. On short pieces like blocks or HSTs, etc there is not much difference. But if you're piecing two long strips for strip piecing it is nice because at the end everything is perfectly even.

On my machines with built-in dual feed (Pfaff, Baby Lock Quest Plus, Bernina 820), I use that. On my other machines, it depends. If I'm doing longer strips or tricky matching, I don't hesitate to use the walking foot. The Bernina walking foot has great 1/4" markings and installs easily.

Never used my walking foot for piecing but do use it for quilting my quilts and sewing on binding. Also use it when top stitching on a bag which usually is two pieces that already have been quilted.

mltquilt

I've never used it for piecing but my machine has dual feed (Janome 7700) and I was thinking of getting the accufeed 1/4" foot to use with it. A lady on my Janome board posted a video showing how she got greater accuracy with it.

At class last Tuesday, the lady in front of me was using her walking foot for piecing.

My machine.feeds "regular".fabric.very evenly without the.walking foot. It is for lots of layers, very slippery/stretchy or stripes, not cotton prints.

Blog Entries
    no, i don't use it for piecing. generally the pins hold it as it should

The only time I have used my walking foot for piecing is when I forgot to take it off. LOL Normally the only time I use it is when I am quilting or putting the binding on something. Now I have a Bernina 830 that has dual feed, so I have a 1/4 inch foot and the dual feed, and I use it for all my piecing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast