Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt for a wedding gift. What colors should I choose???

Hello all,
    I am planning on making a quilt for a couple that are very dear friends of mine. I want the quilt to be a big surprise, so I don't want to ask them what colors they like.
    I haven't seen the couple's new house, so I can't make my color choices based on their home.
    How do you wonderful quilters out there handle this situation?
    BTW, I'm thinking of doing mostly black and white as I feel that is pretty versatile.

Blog Entries
    Can you ask a common friend, or relative to find out color choices?? Or ask a real normal question...how are you doing your new home? Very innocent just in passing kind of question:)

Personally I wouldn't do black/white unless I know for sure they like that. I like the combination, but it wouldn't work in my bedroom or any room in my house for that matter. I would definitely try and get some color ideas. You can start up a conversation about the house and it's progress. Casually ask about color schemes - mention kitchen, bathroom, living room also so that you're not focusing on just the bedroom.I'm sure they will love anything you make, but if you want them to be able to incorporate it into the decor, I think you need to get some info. But, that's just my opinion!

I agree, you could try to go for neutrals, but maybe they like brights! Try to find out a color scheme first before you put all that work into a quilt...

Are they registered somewhere? you could check out their list and im sure find out colors from that. Good luck. Also are you making a wall quilt or bed quilt? might want to be sure you know what room it would be in.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Check their wedding registry to see if you can get any ideas there. Also one of their family members might be able to help

If they are traditional, they might light calicos in all colors. A dresden plate with calicos or a something with floral fabric with all colors of flowers for spring or fall, whichever there weddings are in.

last summer i made a log cabin quilt in white onbeiges and white on whites,,,,,,,, the newlyweds LOVED IT and the colors go with anything

Oh, I like that idea, too. White on white, what could be wrong with that?

Black and white is actually quite difficult to fit into a lot of people's decor. White on white works, but I would do a little innocent questioning of the couple or a close family/friend. Also, nothing too girly/masculine....tough assignment you have set yourself! Good luck and don't forget we love updates/pics.

I am making a quilt for my nephew and his fiance as a wedding present. I have decided to use their wedding color and build on that. I figured that way they would always think of their wedding day when they look at it.

I will usually check the couple's wedding registry for colors they will be using in their home. So far I have done a halfway decent job of getting the right colors.

wedding reistry or a couple of family/friends i agree b+w is hard to place

Quote Originally Posted by LauraEllen
    Hello all,
    I am planning on making a quilt for a couple that are very dear friends of mine. I want the quilt to be a big surprise, so I don't want to ask them what colors they like.
    I haven't seen the couple's new house, so I can't make my color choices based on their home.
    How do you wonderful quilters out there handle this situation?
    BTW, I'm thinking of doing mostly black and white as I feel that is pretty versatile.
    I'd be finding some way to see what their colors are. Can you just ask about the house and kinda mention you like blue (whatever) for a bedroom and wondered what color they've painted theirs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craft phanatic
    I am making a quilt for my nephew and his fiance as a wedding present. I have decided to use their wedding color and build on that. I figured that way they would always think of their wedding day when they look at it.
    I did the same thing for my DH's neice that got married in January, using black & white and beiges. I used various star patterns and called it Tuxedo Nights!

try to find some inkling of colors....I know I am pretty picky about stuff in my home. I hate browns - which can fall into that "neutral" category. And agree w/ the black & white isn't the best idea.

Blog Entries
    You cant go wrong with a scrappy quilt. That would it all the colors!!

I just bought fabric for a wedding quilt for my son and his fiance yesterday. I showed him the purple (her favorite color) fabric I was planning around and let him pick the pattern. He was ok with all of it. So, we'll see how they like it. Of course, it won't be a surprise, but that's ok.

Heres a photo of the quilt http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...39037944YsGRPb
    Quote Originally Posted by whinnytoo
    last summer i made a log cabin quilt in white onbeiges and white on whites,,,,,,,, the newlyweds LOVED IT and the colors go with anything

Blog Entries
    Heres a photo of the quilt http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...39037944YsGRPb
    like you, I thought of the beige and white for color choice, and the log cabin you used is gorgeous. My suggestion here would be think about the pattern as much as the color. Lots of the younger couples go for a very clean contemporary decor.

you probably already know their tastes since you are already dear friends with them. so I say go with your gut in terms of pattern and colors, infusing it with your love each stitch and I would think it will be gorgeous and loved

Ya see what you can find out. I once had someone ask me what my favorite color is. I said red. I even drove a bright red neon. I LOVE red red. But I do not wear red. I do not decorate with red. There is very little red in my home at all. But I do love the color. So a couple of weeks later I received the gift. Although the gift was very nice I wish I would have known what it was for because I would have really preferred to have a different color.

@ whinnytoo...
    Wow, that is gorgeous! I'm thinking those might me good colors for me to use

Thanks LauraEllen..... it was fun to make
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraEllen
    @ whinnytoo...
    Wow, that is gorgeous! I'm thinking those might me good colors for me to use