Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Wedding quilt will not be ready for wedding, how should I handle this >

Help! Wedding quilt will not be ready for wedding, how should I handle this

Help! Wedding quilt will not be ready for wedding, how should I handle this

Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 AM

Default Help! Wedding quilt will not be ready for wedding, how should I handle this

I am doing a quilt for a co-worker of my husband for his wedding. It is on the quilting machine ready to be quilted, but the wedding is Saturday - due to my full time job, and new medication that makes me tired, I don't see any way that it will be ready. It is a NFL team inspired - not your traditional wedding quilt.

How should I handle this? I know many have been in this jam - what did you do? Give a card with an IOU inside? Make up some pillow cases to match and give them as a precursor to the real gift. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cheryl in CT
Old 09-28-2016, 11:43 AM

*** Give them a "Promise Quilt Card".
*** Then they can anticipate what is coming.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:45 AM

I like the idea of the making matching pillow cases with a card indicating that there is more to come.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:56 AM

I think the card and pillow cases are a perfect way to let them know there is more on the way. I ran into a similar circumstance for my niece-in-law's wedding shower and wrapped up the top with some of what would be the backing. They were delighted as both are math teachers and I used fabrics with lots of math on in their favorite color, blue. I believe it was Moda fabs but don't remember.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:01 PM

Don't worry about it, give a card and tell them inside that their gift isn't quite ready. If they get all upset about it then they don't deserve such a wonderful thoughtful gift.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:35 PM

I would do what my body and mind could handle. The couple may not even open their gifts until after the honeymoon, so I wouldn't feel compelled to rush pillowcases either. They will have the quilt as a keepsake and won't remember that it was late. I certainly don't remember what gifts came late...I was too busy enjoying my groom! Take care of yourself and it'll be appreciated when you present it.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Like the others have stated with the card and pillow case. you may also want to enclose a photo so they know it's in production.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:59 PM

A wedding quilt is such a grand gift! They should be grateful whenever you give it to them! The idea of a card stating it will be coming is all I would do!
Old 09-28-2016, 01:34 PM

It seems like anymore most of the weddings I go to just involve people bringing cards. Any gifts are shipped to the bride & groom's house either before or after the wedding. I would just bring the card with to the wedding with a little note that art takes time and that your gift to them will follow, along with warm wishes for their marriage.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:43 PM

I, too, would simply take a card with a note explaining their gift has been delayed. Particularly if they have no clue a quilt is coming, you could simply say it's been delayed in shipping. If they know a quilt is coming and you'd like to be a bit creative, you could include snippets of fabrics and batting to whet their appetite. I believe per proper ettiquete rules you actually have a year in which to deliver a wedding gift.