Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Wedding quilt will not be ready for wedding, how should I handle this >

Help! Wedding quilt will not be ready for wedding, how should I handle this

Help! Wedding quilt will not be ready for wedding, how should I handle this

Old 09-29-2016, 11:26 AM

I just had this same scenario in August. My niece asked for a quilt for her wedding, a king size. Unfortunately, we had some major home expenses; New HVAC and a tax bill that had to be paid prior to the wedding date. We could not afford to buy all the supplies to have the quilt done. We gave a card, enclosing a small check and a note that they would be getting their quilt before their first anniversary. The bride and groom understood perfectly and it also gave me the opportunity to see what things they used in their wedding theme - butterflies, sunflowers, and arrows - that I could incorporate into the quilting designs to make the quilt more personal and special for them.

Don't sweat it.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:38 AM

I have three daughters who are married. During the process, I learned that it is accepted that guests have up to a year after the wedding to give a gift. I also learned that gifts should NOT be brought to the wedding so that the bride and groom do not have to worry about handling the gifts after the ceremony and reception. After all, it is not a birthday party or shower where gifts are opened on the spot. If you feel that you must do something on the day of the event, your idea of the pillowcases is a good one, but then could you use the time making the pillowcases to work on the quilt?If it were me, I would simply finish the quilt in the next few weeks and give it to them when finished.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:29 AM

I don't think newlyweds expect to receive all of their gifts on their wedding day...I'm sure the they will be elated when you give it to them. I think a card is perfectly acceptable.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

I would take a picture of a small portion of the quilt and place it in the card with a cute note like, "Here is a preview of things to come" or something clever like that and then a little note about you giving them the quilt as soon as it is finished. Sometime life gets in the way of living.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:06 AM

I had that exact situation. I gave a card with a picture of the pattern and fabric samples enclosed.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:07 AM
mac

Don't you have a year to give a wedding gift? Or is it something I made up in my mind?

I agree with most everyone that you shouldn't really worry about this. A card letting them know that a special gift is on its way and will be sent to them as soon as it arrives should be enough. It is a polite way of letting them know that you didn't forget their special moment. I can't imagine the couple even realizing that your gift is not there. Besides, opening all the wedding gifts must be mind numbing and with all the fuss of opening the gifts, I think that special gifts kind of get lost in the shuffle. This way when all the excitement is calmed down, your gift will show up and they will be totally focused on your gift.

Your health is more important and you should safe guard it at all costs.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 AM

I'm with taking a card with a note that the gift is in progress. I wouldn't go into much detail with it--when it was finished, arrange a time to hand deliver and enjoy when they receive.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Okay I am a bit weird on this - but you have a year to send a wedding gift (according to Emily Post) and you you don't have to tell them something is coming. They may not even notice you didn't even send a card. I would finish the quilt and give it to them with the card when it is done. Don't stress over it. The fact you are making them a quilt when you could have just bought something off a registry speak volumes.

Enjoy the wedding, no one is going to know if you sent something, gave them a gift card or a check or anything else. When you deliver the quilt, then you can explain why it's late, only if you want to because I am sure they will not care.
I totally agree with this. You have up to a year after the actual wedding date before it is considered "late". Quite honestly, I think they will be so thrilled with the quilt that when it actually arrived won't even enter their minds.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:45 AM

Lots of great suggestions. What about quickly putting together 2 mug rugs as a way to give them their fabric samples from the quilt?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:55 AM

I gave a card with a note, that upon their return from their trip, please give me call so we can get together for something special. They will not use the quilt before then, and make it special when they get home.