Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thinking about getting a  machine for FMQ  - need help please >

thinking about getting a machine for FMQ - need help please

thinking about getting a machine for FMQ - need help please

Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 AM

I am thinking about getting another machine to help with my FMQ. My current one has a small 'arm. Iwould like some suggestions ( and approx cost if you can) . . . I am also thinking of going to the Knoxville Quilt show . . would I be able to try different machine there? I have never been to a quilt show before. there are not a great deal of options in the Nashivlle area . . . Or would I be better to take a drive to Paducah??
Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 AM
MTS
Banned

Most, if not all, of the big players of longarm quilting machines will be there, as well as a mid-/short- arm makers are well.

And you can play on all the machines. Do as much research as you can before you go so you're not dazzled by the (very able) salespeople. ;-)

Here's the vendor list:
http://www.americanquilter.com/shows...ndors/list.php

Enjoy the show!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 AM

At the quilt shows you will have the opportunity to try all different long arms, Sweet Sixteen, etc. I did this at the Paducah Show. As far as Paducah NOW, there is nothing to try other than English Sewing where they carry Pfaff and Brother machines.

Here's what I came away with after trying everything. I have no desire to do quilting for hire. I just wanted something that would "work" whenever I wanted to finish a quilt out with FMQ.

The long arms are BIG, they're nice with the stitch regulator, and very expensive. $4500 and up. I just could not justify that kind of $ for the little FMQ I would be doing. Plus, I would have to give up a very large part of my sewing room. I have a bed in there, and it would have had to go.

I ended up buying a Brother Nouvelle 1500S. It has a 9" arm and 6" heighth. I am using it solely for FMQ. Tension set for the thickness of my sandwich. So far it is working just fine. No broken threads, or birds nest on the back. It is my lack of ability that is the only problem. Got to keep practicing.

My FMQ
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204670[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204664.jpe  
Old 05-31-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps look into getting an old Singer for FMQ. Will be easy on the budget too. I'd look for one that will drop its feed dogs, and one that has reverse too-that's just me!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 AM

I bought a used Janome 6500P for a larger area. I like the scissors button when I am in the center so I don't have to lift up the whole quilt to snip. There is a quilt mode that is nice. The space made it a lot easier to fmq.

It made a lot of sense for me because it fits so nice in my older Parson cabinet. I have a flat surface except behind the machine. The extension table is nice, but seems to be a little too high for me (I am short).

I do not like it very much to mend jeans however. I miss the free arm at that time for fixing knees. It doesn't seem to have the power for the thick part of the jeans.

You do have alphabets to use on this machine. I had an 1980's Janome with that option and so I was familiar with the operation. Amazon has one for $1200 and free super saver shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Memory-...6853825&sr=1-1

The 6600p would be a better choice with the accufeed and start/stop button. Allbrands has one for sale http://www.allbrands.com/products/ab...ogle&ovtac=CMP

Good luck on your search,
Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 PM

The newer Pfaff's have a larger area under the arm.