Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double Wedding Ring vs Twisted Bargello >

Double Wedding Ring vs Twisted Bargello

Double Wedding Ring vs Twisted Bargello

Old 05-30-2011, 06:29 PM

My son is engaged and will be getting married next April. I had always planned/dreamed of making each of my children a double-wedding ring quilt when they got married --- to me, that is the ultimate "traditional" quilt .... especially for a bride and groom.

Given my work schedule.... I will need to get started on this to assure it will get done before all the wedding activities begin. alas... it will take me that long as this pattern will be a new venture for me! ;-)

I learned today that the bride's two favorite colors are purple and yellow. Yay!!! That is a starting point for me (this quilt will be a surprise). My son will love ANYTHING I make and I believe my future DIL will too... but I really want it to be something she loves too. They are young (he is 26.... she is 22) and very fashionable.

I am contemplating foregoing the "traditional" double wedding ring to go with a more contemporary pattern of the "twisted bargello". Personally, I would love the double-wedding ring.... but it is not about me.

What do you think.......should I stick with the "traditional" double wedding ring..... or go more contemporary with a twisted bargello?

Thank you, dear friends, in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

The DWR is my all time fav......but I think I would go with the bargello. If you want to be sure to please have the couple help you choose. Just a thought:)
Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 PM

what is the taste and personality of the bride and groom - it should be what they would like.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:35 PM

I just got a book on ebay for a new way of doing a double wedding ring. It's a quilt as you go method and allows for more updating with cool striped fabrica and such. It's "Rings That Bind" by Cheryl Phillips and Linda Pysto. I got a bundle pack that had the book and special ruler ( Arc-Ease)
Old 05-30-2011, 06:37 PM

I'd say bargello if you want to get it done and still participate in wedding festivities! There are some amazing patterns out there! Though the DWR is a traditional pattern, none of my kids got one and were extremely happy with the patterns that were done. Personally I think it is a pattern that is a little old and outdated...
Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 PM

Since it is a surprise and if you have a good relationship with the soon to be DIL's mother, why don't you get her input on what her daughter would like. After you swear her to secrecy of course. :)
Old 05-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

There is a new way to do the double wedding ring from Quiltsmart and Eleanor Burns more of an applique- makes it faster :thumbup:

Is there anyway to show the kids some pics of different quilts and see their reaction ? and by showing them multi pics they won't know which one you are making - maybe just say I am stuck on my next project, what do you think about this one or that one ? :wink:
Old 05-30-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
There is a new way to do the double wedding ring from Quiltsmart and Eleanor Burns more of an applique- makes it faster :thumbup:

Is there anyway to show the kids some pics of different quilts and see their reaction ? and by showing them multi pics they won't know which one you are making - maybe just say I am stuck on my next project, what do you think about this one or that one ? :wink:
I did that with my friend Karen. I showed her some pictures of quilts I had made, and when she got to the log cabin, her eyes lit up. More rustic looking for their house. She said the Bargello was "nice" too, but she asked me to show her the L.C. again.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:36 PM

Having made both a bargello and a double wedding ring I would go for the bargello. Cheryl Phillips paper pieced method is the way to go though (in my humble opinion) if you want to do the DWR.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Power Poster

I personally like the DWR but I think I would consult them as to their preference.