Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thinking of getting a embroidery machine >

Thinking of getting a embroidery machine

Thinking of getting a embroidery machine

Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM

I am thinking I might like to get an embroidery machine. Would like to hear from others who have them, if they like them and what in your thinking is the best one to consider and is it worth having? Thanks for any input from all of you.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

I have a couple and I totally think that they are worth it. I am partial to the brother. There are several different models.

I recommend that you get as big an embroidery field as you can. The 4x4 doesn't give you much space. 5x7 minimum.

I do know some people that never took to it but me personally took to it and I spend almost as much time doing that as sewing and quilting.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by busygranny
I am thinking I might like to get an embroidery machine. Would like to hear from others who have them, if they like them and what in your thinking is the best one to consider and is it worth having? Thanks for any input from all of you.
I was at a sewing store yesterday,which I won't name.
I saw a large hoop, looked like a 16 x 16 or there abouts. lol
Anyway, I ask about the prices of the two machines in front of me. One was 6500.00 and the other was the newest Viking out and it was around 10,000.00, which the large hoop belong to. Not me! For that price I will buy an industrial machine and a cheaper sewing machine for 500.00. My embroidery machine was 4,000.00 and I don't think it is worth that much money, but again, I don't think any of the machines are worth that much money anyway. If you are not going to do embroidery as a business, I would find one for around 600. Brothers are user friendly.
Syl Just my opinion.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM

I have a Janome 350E and love it. I find it very user friendly, it does 4x4 and 5x7 sizes. It has 3 built in fonts as well as some designs. So long as a design is in the JEF format, my machine's 'language', it will work. It has a USB port that you use with your computer, flash drive or an external hard-drive, which is what I do. I began with a brother combo and quickly realized that I would prefer to have two machines instead of one. I also learned that I wanted a larger field, 5x7, than the 4x4 that I was limited to. I make Maxine dishtowels, everyone's favorite, personalize handmade items, even make my own quilt labels. For me, it was a great investment of a part-time nanny job that I worked to be able to buy my machine.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 PM

We just got a brother 2800d about 2 months ago...my DH has actually used it more than I have. I have sewn with it and enjoyed it, but still use my older Pfaff out of habit.

I'm glad we got the brother but with summer coming up it won't be used until it cools off more I'm sure.

If you have a friend with one, maybe you can play with theirs some first and see just how many projects you will be doing.

Remember, patterns can add up pretty fast and you generally can not do your own designs without mucho training and big bucks...how much time & money do you want to invest?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM

WOW!!!! I certainly didn't know they cost thousands. I am coming up on 75 years young. Don't know if I can justify spending that much on a machine this late in life. Have to give that a lot of thought.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 PM

I have 3 brother machines. I moved up with each machine. So buy as large an embroidery field machine as you can afford. My last one is a 4000D and It has the Big Micky Mouse The machine also does quilting. and stitches 1000 stitches a minute. I have had mine 4 yr. and I love it.
Busy Granny My DGF also has the same machine and she got hers a yr before mine she is 84. She does all kinds of thing with hers.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 PM

I would like to have an embroidery machine, but there is NO way I could possibly come up with the money to get one. So, I say God bless anyone that can afford one and enjoy it for me!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 PM

I bought a Janome Memory Craft 10001 on ebay for less than $800. It was a steal, but they CAN be found. Keep your eyes open and be patient. My seller had Janome spelled wrong and another error-don't remember what it was. I just had several saved searches with partial information to find just that kind of error. Then lurk until the bid time and bid at the last possible minute, and I do mean the VERY last possible minute, with the most you'd be happy to pay. You'll be surprised at how well that strategy works!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Banned

I have a Pfaff 2144 and absolutely love it for embrodiery. My Pfaff 7570 did great to for embrodiery. These are both a little older machines now but I am more than happy with them. I guess it depends on how heavy you want to get into embrodiering. I would check with your local Pfaff dealer and see if they have either of these for you to try - the price would be alot easier to justify.

Good luck,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

PS - the quilt in my avatar I did on my 2144