Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread Addiction??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-addiction-t171395.html)

Havplenty 12-08-2011 01:16 PM

Thread Addiction???

1 Attachment(s)
I am attending an estate sale on Friday and I have never seen this much thread in one place. Along with 5 sergers and 8 other sewing machines, could this person possibly have had a thread addiction? I hope I am able to get some of these treasures tomorrow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]294140[/ATTACH]

DogHouseMom 12-08-2011 01:19 PM

Half of me wants all that thread, the other half doesn't want to store it all :)

thepolyparrot 12-08-2011 01:22 PM

Define "addiction." :D

If you do machine embroidery and you want your pieces to look as realistic as little paintings, you need as many colors as they make. ;) Look at the DMC embroidery floss racks next time you're in Hobby Lobby and you'll see what I mean about the number of colors.

Hope you find some great deals there - you can never have too much thread! :)

lfstamper 12-08-2011 01:25 PM

Agree with the polyparrot. For machine embroidery, you want all the colors you can get! Enjoy!

gramajo 12-08-2011 01:25 PM

With 5 sergers & 8 machines, the owner probably had a serious sewing addiction. LOL and probably had at least one spool of thread for each project. :)

ka9sdn 12-08-2011 01:38 PM

I don't see anything wrong with LOTS of thread. Must be ready for any project.

CanoePam 12-08-2011 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo (Post 4763377)
With 5 sergers & 8 machines, the owner probably had a serious sewing addiction. LOL and probably had at least one spool of thread for each project. :)

Oooooh, I resemble that remark! I only have 1 serger, but I have 3 embroidery machines (two home machines and 1 pro machine), 3 "modern" sewing machines, and 10 or 12 vintage ones. Actually, it does look like the woman had an embroidery business from the look of the spools. Alternately she could have had an alteration business, something that also needs a lot of colors and types of thread.

Pam

3incollege 12-08-2011 02:39 PM

never enough! however, I don't own an embroidery machine because of the thread. to afraid of becoming a hoarder.

Crqltr 12-08-2011 02:47 PM

I have lots of thread...but not that much. Wish I could hit that sale..I would help put a serious dent in that stash!

Havplenty 12-08-2011 03:28 PM

do you have a special display/viewing room for all of your sewing machines especially the vintage ones? i have often wondered what collectors do with all of the machines they acquire.

i had always gifted a sewing machine or serger when i purchased a new one. i never fancied myself a collector. in the last 3 months, i have acquired a vintage singer 128 (in a brentwood case) and two singer 15-91's. there was a pristine FW at an estate sale recently that i bid on but didnt win. i keep thinking once i get the featherweight i am done "collecting" sewing machines. i plan to use the 15-91 real soon as i bought a vintage sewing cabinet for $15.00 to house it, i just need to get the machine serviced.

i may come home with one of her pfaff machines tomorrow depending on what the prices are but for sure i am going after thread if someone does not beat me to it.

Originally Posted by CanoePam (Post 4763528)
Oooooh, I resemble that remark! I only have 1 serger, but I have 3 embroidery machines (two home machines and 1 pro machine), 3 "modern" sewing machines, and 10 or 12 vintage ones. Actually, it does look like the woman had an embroidery business from the look of the spools. Alternately she could have had an alteration business, something that also needs a lot of colors and types of thread.

Pam