Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread Addiction???

Blog Entries

Thread Addiction???

I am attending an estate sale on Friday and I have never seen this much thread in one place. Along with 5 sergers and 8 other sewing machines, could this person possibly have had a thread addiction? I hope I am able to get some of these treasures tomorrow.

Name:  thread.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  77.9 KB

Half of me wants all that thread, the other half doesn't want to store it all
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Define "addiction."

If you do machine embroidery and you want your pieces to look as realistic as little paintings, you need as many colors as they make. Look at the DMC embroidery floss racks next time you're in Hobby Lobby and you'll see what I mean about the number of colors.

Hope you find some great deals there - you can never have too much thread!

Agree with the polyparrot. For machine embroidery, you want all the colors you can get! Enjoy!
    Linda

With 5 sergers & 8 machines, the owner probably had a serious sewing addiction. LOL and probably had at least one spool of thread for each project.

I don't see anything wrong with LOTS of thread. Must be ready for any project.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    With 5 sergers & 8 machines, the owner probably had a serious sewing addiction. LOL and probably had at least one spool of thread for each project.
    Oooooh, I resemble that remark! I only have 1 serger, but I have 3 embroidery machines (two home machines and 1 pro machine), 3 "modern" sewing machines, and 10 or 12 vintage ones. Actually, it does look like the woman had an embroidery business from the look of the spools. Alternately she could have had an alteration business, something that also needs a lot of colors and types of thread.

Pam

never enough! however, I don't own an embroidery machine because of the thread. to afraid of becoming a hoarder.
    Donna

Blog Entries
    I have lots of thread...but not that much. Wish I could hit that sale..I would help put a serious dent in that stash!

Blog Entries
    do you have a special display/viewing room for all of your sewing machines especially the vintage ones? i have often wondered what collectors do with all of the machines they acquire.

i had always gifted a sewing machine or serger when i purchased a new one. i never fancied myself a collector. in the last 3 months, i have acquired a vintage singer 128 (in a brentwood case) and two singer 15-91's. there was a pristine FW at an estate sale recently that i bid on but didnt win. i keep thinking once i get the featherweight i am done "collecting" sewing machines. i plan to use the 15-91 real soon as i bought a vintage sewing cabinet for $15.00 to house it, i just need to get the machine serviced.

i may come home with one of her pfaff machines tomorrow depending on what the prices are but for sure i am going after thread if someone does not beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
    Oooooh, I resemble that remark! I only have 1 serger, but I have 3 embroidery machines (two home machines and 1 pro machine), 3 "modern" sewing machines, and 10 or 12 vintage ones. Actually, it does look like the woman had an embroidery business from the look of the spools. Alternately she could have had an alteration business, something that also needs a lot of colors and types of thread.

Pam

Blog Entries
    Good luck-obviously they were a seamstress or something

Oh my golly ! She must have matched every thread to every piece of fabric! LOL

If that is embroidery machine thread I would drive there from Texas to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with LOTS of thread. Must be ready for any project.
    Absolutely correct!!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

It very easy to go into addiction when it comes to thread , so many great choices.... just in varigated, then all the mettalics, and the embrodery ... just so many beautiful spools! Thread is becoming my new addiction. I would love to have such a thread stash!

Power Poster
    Drool, drool.That doesn't look excessive!

Blog Entries
    you cannot see the entire five shelf bookcase. it is all filled with boxes, spools and containers of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Drool, drool.That doesn't look excessive!
    Last edited by Havplenty; 12-08-2011 at 10:12 PM.

My goodness, I thought I had a lot of thread! Gosh I am glad you showed those pics, makes me feel a lot better.lol Funny thing about estate sales, just because you want it doesn't mean anyone else does and you may get a heck of a deal out of it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

You can never have enough thread, it is like fabric, little jewels on spools
    Deb T

Buy every spool! What you don't want put up for sale to the rest of us. We can all use a bargain on our thread.

Oh please do share your experience with us all, let me live vicariously through ya!

holly macaroni.......it is enough for two lifetimes...maybe more.....lol good luck!!!!

Blog Entries
    freshly back from the estate sale. this home is every hoarder's dream come true. this woman was a hoarder for sure, there is no other way to say it. there was so much stuff in the house there wasnt much room to move around or shop. she hoarded everything. not only was there the thread that was in the posted pictures, but there were two more rooms full of thread and even some in the basement (i never made it that far but someone else mentioned it).

the estate sellers had everything priced way way to high so many folks were not buying anything. the thread was still there. i couldnt make it through more than 3 rooms because of all the stuff and no room to turn around. just about everyone was finding it hard to shop. i'm trying again tomorrow as there was so much stuff there is no way they can sell it all today at the prices they had listed. too bad.

to those who inquired about embroidery thread.... yes there was PLENTY of it in every imaginable color, brand new and untouched. i never even got to the pfaff sewing machines. they had the sergers priced at $400.00, can you believe that? i will go back tomorrow at 9am sharp when they open to seek some treasures. if i score embroidery thread at better prices tomorrow, i will certainly be willing to offer for sale as i do not have an embroidery machine.

I didn't know that I had a thread adsiction, but after looking at the thread pictures all I could think is I WANT IT - I WANT IT - I WANT IT! Storage? I could stash it behind the couch, put open shelving in the guest bedroom, stuff it in the atic with the Christmas decorations. Actually it would take me the remainder of my life to use 1/2 of the thread and I do not have sensible storage. But, I WANT IT, I WANT IT.... My name is Marguerite and I am addicted to all things to do with quilting and other sewing.
    With quilters for friends, I will always be warm.

Blog Entries
    hahahahahaha. lol. hahahahaha. hi nice to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by cheaha39 View Post
    I didn't know that I had a thread adsiction, but after looking at the thread pictures all I could think is I WANT IT - I WANT IT - I WANT IT! Storage? I could stash it behind the couch, put open shelving in the guest bedroom, stuff it in the atic with the Christmas decorations. Actually it would take me the remainder of my life to use 1/2 of the thread and I do not have sensible storage. But, I WANT IT, I WANT IT.... My name is Marguerite and I am addicted to all things to do with quilting and other sewing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast