Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread clippings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-clippings-t37072.html)

Sharon - NC 02-16-2010 11:11 AM

Love those ideas ... thread, dog hair, and dryer lint. Who'd a-thunk it?

Favorite Fabrics 02-16-2010 12:04 PM

I think I once saw a TV spot about a lady who used dryer lint for paper mache!

cminor 02-16-2010 12:28 PM

I love the dryer lint idea. . . heaven knows we have enough of it!

Boston1954 02-16-2010 12:31 PM

My mother used to do that with yarn. I loved knowing that the birds had a soft nest.

cuppi duke 02-16-2010 04:21 PM

Our squirrels love them too. Also leftover pieces of batting. I cut it into strips and put them in a basket this time of the year for nest building. I would recommend cotton though.

fluffbug95 02-16-2010 04:22 PM

Great idea!! I love it! I might start doing that. :)

Prism99 02-17-2010 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
Just make sure your clippings aren't long enough for birdies to get tangled around their wings or legs! :)
I am a vet tech at a wildlife facility and we've seen some songbirds who have been entangled in the past. Cute idea for colorful nesties though!!
:)

I heard many years ago that fabrics were not good for birds nests because it stays damp too long after a rain, causing the young birds to get sick (pneumonia???). Things like straw and grasses do not absorb water the way fabric does. Have not been able to corroborate this in recent years. Do you have any idea if this is true? As I recall, it was an ornithologist who posted the warning about putting out fabric scraps for birds, but I could be wrong about that.

Bailey's mom 02-17-2010 05:46 AM

Wow that is an awesome idea! I am going to do that for sure!!!

RatherB Quilting 02-17-2010 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
Just make sure your clippings aren't long enough for birdies to get tangled around their wings or legs! :)
I am a vet tech at a wildlife facility and we've seen some songbirds who have been entangled in the past. Cute idea for colorful nesties though!!
:)

I heard many years ago that fabrics were not good for birds nests because it stays damp too long after a rain, causing the young birds to get sick (pneumonia???). Things like straw and grasses do not absorb water the way fabric does. Have not been able to corroborate this in recent years. Do you have any idea if this is true? As I recall, it was an ornithologist who posted the warning about putting out fabric scraps for birds, but I could be wrong about that.

That is a really good thought. Young hatchlings can be very sensitive to things like that. Fortunately, I have an Ornithology lab that is right down the street from my workplace...I will contact them and ask them thier thoughts on this!

ginnie6 02-17-2010 06:29 AM

I do this with the hair from my pyr. Oh my how they shed! Dh gets annoyed as I brush him in the yard and just leave it for the birds.