Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread clippings

I recycle my threads. Instead of throwing them away I keep them and put them outside for birdies. I just used a bright green and tossed abunch outside. I'll be seeing it in birds nest pretty soon. Last year I had some bright orange and seen in 2 nests. Birdies love thread

Great idea. I would be afraid my cats and dogs would eat them, though. Maybe if I toss them into the trees.

I chop up my left over cotton fabric and put it out. Makes colorful nests and is biodegradable.

That is such a good idea....I never would have thought of that. I think I am going to start. Heaven knows I always have tons of thread and fabric clippings!

What a great idea and to think you see the results of it!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Just make sure your clippings aren't long enough for birdies to get tangled around their wings or legs! :)
    I am a vet tech at a wildlife facility and we've seen some songbirds who have been entangled in the past. Cute idea for colorful nesties though!!
    :)

I put little bits (like teeny) of cotton batting in our lilac trees last Spring, and the blue tits and great tits went mad for it. I pulled it apart a bit for them so's they could see how good it was!! I also put the combings from my Yorkies on the same twigs, and they love to collect that as well.
    The birds are very cheeky though, I've seen them tugging at threads on towels on the line too.

That is what I do with dryer lint. I save it in a bag at dryer, in spring, I place it out on ground in yard. It is fun to watch the birds picking it over to get soft nesting. Even the sqirrells have taken some.

Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    Just make sure your clippings aren't long enough for birdies to get tangled around their wings or legs! :)
    I am a vet tech at a wildlife facility and we've seen some songbirds who have been entangled in the past. Cute idea for colorful nesties though!!
    More great ideas. Thanks. I did forget to mention I chop
    them up before putting it out for them. Thanks for that tip.
    Wouldn't want to hurt the little ones. You have an awesome
    job. :thumbup:

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I haven't put any thread out... but I have used scrap trimmings (selvedges, etc) to wrap around the canes of my blackberry bushes to keep the rodents from chewing the bark off during the winter.

From Baltimore, currently live in Charlotte, NC
    Love those ideas ... thread, dog hair, and dryer lint. Who'd a-thunk it?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I think I once saw a TV spot about a lady who used dryer lint for paper mache!

I love the dryer lint idea. . . heaven knows we have enough of it!

My mother used to do that with yarn. I loved knowing that the birds had a soft nest.

Our squirrels love them too. Also leftover pieces of batting. I cut it into strips and put them in a basket this time of the year for nest building. I would recommend cotton though.

Great idea!! I love it! I might start doing that. :)

Blog Entries
    I heard many years ago that fabrics were not good for birds nests because it stays damp too long after a rain, causing the young birds to get sick (pneumonia???). Things like straw and grasses do not absorb water the way fabric does. Have not been able to corroborate this in recent years. Do you have any idea if this is true? As I recall, it was an ornithologist who posted the warning about putting out fabric scraps for birds, but I could be wrong about that.

Wow that is an awesome idea! I am going to do that for sure!!!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I heard many years ago that fabrics were not good for birds nests because it stays damp too long after a rain, causing the young birds to get sick (pneumonia???). Things like straw and grasses do not absorb water the way fabric does. Have not been able to corroborate this in recent years. Do you have any idea if this is true? As I recall, it was an ornithologist who posted the warning about putting out fabric scraps for birds, but I could be wrong about that.
    That is a really good thought. Young hatchlings can be very sensitive to things like that. Fortunately, I have an Ornithology lab that is right down the street from my workplace...I will contact them and ask them thier thoughts on this!

I do this with the hair from my pyr. Oh my how they shed! Dh gets annoyed as I brush him in the yard and just leave it for the birds.

Blog Entries
    Thats a pretty great idea!

i save mine up all winter and then rotary cut them up for the spring. i use a tray feeder so i just throw some bits in each day til they're gone. they really go.

What great ideas. I would never have thought of any of them.

That is a really good thought. Young hatchlings can be very sensitive to things like that. Fortunately, I have an Ornithology lab that is right down the street from my workplace...I will contact them and ask them thier thoughts on this!

I'm interested in what they say! I was just thinking about this growing basket of tiny trimmings and I'd love it if it could be "recycled" like that!

I was told not to give birds yarn a string because when it gets wet the nest stays wet and the babies don't need a wet bed. I was told to put out hair ( from the dog and beauty shop for the birds.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast