Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thread clippings

Blog Entries
    That is an excellent idea, however, I remember an incident where a bird got caught in a length of thread and had to be cut loose. So, remember, keep your thread clippings no longer than 3 inches long.

Using Misty Fuse and your small scraps and left over thread you can make interesting fabric. Use it for making journal/book covers, fabric purse, cell phone holders etc... It's a quick fun project.

What a wonderful idea. Hope my cats don't eat any. My mom used to put out yarn, but I never thought about threads.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    Great idea. I would be afraid my cats and dogs would eat them, though. Maybe if I toss them into the trees.
    I recycle dog fur, batting, scraps of fabric and thread clippings for the birds by putting them all in the little suet baskets that you see very cheap at stores. I make sure to cut the thread into smaller pieces because birds can get their feet caught up in them. My birds love my nest building materials and I love watching them hang on the cage trying to decide what to take. Almost like we quilters, minus the cage.

Wow. Thanks for all the great ideas. More to recycle. Soon can cancel the trash man. lol

Blog Entries
    Ah, if we could only cancel the trash man and the expense, life would be good. Up here in Maine we pay a person to pick it up.

ultimately, we all do. either directly or in taxes. so reuse, reduce, recycle.

What a great idea!. I will begin doing it right away. We should see our first Robin in a few weeks here in Colorado.

OMG!!!!!!!!! i do the same thing!! i do it at home by putting the pile out on my deck and i'm sewing when headed out for a camping trip,i let the thread fly out the window. i call it 'birdie string'. my 3 1/2 granddaughter is doing the same thing though she doesn't quilt she watches me, 'hamma' do it. so cute

Absolutely never gave it a thought. How nice. I have tons of birds, chimpmunks, squirrels, etc. here, including, deer, bear, foxes etc. I'll save all my stuff and next month set it out. Waiting for the snow to be gone!!!

When our Malamute was still alive, the Tit Mice were always going in her doghouse (even while she was in there) picking up her fur for their nests. I never thought about the dryer lint and clippings...great idea!

what a great idea! I love to feed the birds never thought my clipping would help them out. I did try the dryer lint thing and the Mississippi birds didn't like it, get it's too hot here for lint.

i read that the dryer lint can get stuck in their throats and beaks and they can't get rid of it by coughing it out.

My mom had alzheimer's. She lived with us for 2 yrs. She went to an adult camp for about 5 hrs a day. They did lots of activities, one of them was threading cheerios on yarn and throwing them up on the tree branches for the birds.

She loved doing this

Junec, I think I'll try threading some cheerios for the birds, thanks

I use my thread clippings on my artist quilts. The last one I made had a bird nest in it and I used the thread clippings to form the nest. I think it turned out great with just some quilting to hold it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by dian
    I use my thread clippings on my artist quilts. The last one I made had a bird nest in it and I used the thread clippings to form the nest. I think it turned out great with just some quilting to hold it in place.
    What a great idea. I'd like to see some of your art quilts as I have just started making them. It's fun to see what others are doing.

I collect all my scraps and take them to my quilt guild. One of the members makes animal beds out of them for the Humane Society.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2