Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   traditional or art Quilts??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/traditional-art-quilts-t25524.html)

Ninnie 09-15-2009 04:33 PM

Those are the cutest blocks!!
I am in love with them
Do you mind telling us where you found the patterns?

gramysews 09-15-2009 05:35 PM

Very cute quilt blocks!!You did a great job on those!
Guess I would have to call myself a traditional quilter as I mostly make the "old fashioned looking quilts" even though I do also like the more modern one's when I see them all made up. Just don't think I know how to pick the right color and fabric or pattern for the modern look. :cry:

janRN 09-15-2009 06:00 PM

Love your quilt blocks, especially Oscar (he was always my favorite). I like the embellishments-the fur and hair. Great job. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Please post a picture when you finish.

Lisa T 09-15-2009 06:19 PM

Your Sesame Street guys are adorable!! I love how you used the fake fur. Oscar is my fav, too!

ETA- For the person looking for a pattern for Sesame Street characters- I made my son an Elmo quilt and I used a coloring book and just enlarged the picture. Then I used flannels and fleece to cut the shapes out of and appliqued them on.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-15-2009 06:51 PM

Your blocks are GREAT! I adore them.

GailG 09-16-2009 03:53 AM

Wonderful Muppet blocks. Welcome from a traditional quilter whose goal is to make as many of the traditional blocks as she can. (I can dream, can't I?) I have made one landscape quilt wall hanging.

mpspeedy 09-16-2009 04:10 AM

Your blocks are adorable. I have been doing this for 40 years and have tried everything. I have boxes and trunks full of my work. It ranges from placemats to queensize quilts. While my greatest love is the handquilting process I also love playing with the decorative stitches on my machines and wonderful fancy threads etc. I have a twin size quilt I made with some of my collection of oriental fabrics that is done crazy quilt style using embroidered pieces as the center of each block. It is also embelished with everything I could think of. The last border is made of dimensional half circles of red sateen fabric to resemble oriental coins.
Quilting is what ever you want it to be. I have seen works that incorporated metal, plastic and even wood.
It doesn't have to be your grandmother's blanket.

Iluv2quilt 09-16-2009 04:45 AM

I just love your sesame street characters, you really captured them! They are wonderful!!

minstrel 09-16-2009 04:49 AM

I, too, am a more traditional quilter, but I LOVE your Sesame Street blocks. They are fantastic and you did a wonderful job. Love the different textured fabrics you used. Some child is going to be soooo lucky!

fabric=fun 09-16-2009 05:04 AM

First, your work is wonderful no matter what category it is placed. The embellishing lights up the characters!

I consider myself a contemporary quilter like Klue's term for herself - though don't claim to have her skill! I do a lot of contemporary interpretations of traditional quilting. That includes purses, totes, table runners, etc. as well as some arty wall hanging pieces.
I also have amassed a large amount of the Art Quilter's tools and embellishments to stretch my skills and enjoy more original creative design pieces. I feel fortunate to be able to - cross the lines - back and forth to admire and appreciate both worlds, as well as add my two cents worth of ability to each!