Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trying to understand (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trying-understand-t99143.html)

patricej 02-12-2011 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
Is the "edit topic" only available on posting in the classified section? I've had a couple of spelling errors in my titles that I would have loved to have been able to correct. I've looked back at my topics and just plain do not have an "edit topic" anywhere...

if you'd like a title fixed and either don't have or can't find the option to edit the title, a moderator can help you. :-)

ptquilts 02-12-2011 04:19 PM

you can only do it for a while, except in the classifieds section. just looked at one of my older non-classified topics and it is not there.

has anyone else noticed the lack of new topics in the classifieds since the new rules went in? Looks like we will all be able to save some money and not buy so much, lol!

donnajean 02-12-2011 04:19 PM

O.K. Nancy,
I think I got the bumping issue resolved. At least I'm not guilty of that one. I don't think I ever replied to my own posting.

Originally Posted by np3

Originally Posted by donnajean
Thanks Nancy,
I guess I need better glasses. If I update a topic title, is that considered "bumping". If not, what is bumping? I spent 1/2 hr. reading the rules this a.m. & I'm trying to understand the proper procedures when posting an ad.

Originally Posted by np3
Oh, it is in blue on my computer, very tiny. You click on it and you can edit the title.

You are doing great. Took me a long time to find that link the first time I closed a sale. Updating the title is encouraged. When someone posts to your topic, it goes to the top of the list. Bumping is when you write something as a reply to deliberately bump yourself to the top. You are not supposed to do that, but it happens.

np3 02-12-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Up North

Originally Posted by donnajean
I spend literally hours each day reading posts & answering questions when I can, so I was very dismayed this a.m. when my posting in the Classified section to sell a couple books was immediately deleted. I had only been posting one a week in the Classified Section, but have made thousands of reply posts.

I think I spent half an hr. reading the new rules, but will have to go back as I still don't see why some posts are o.k. when they are not quilt related.

I still do not understand what bumping is. Thanks for helping to explain.

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
the rules encourage you to use the Edit Topic Title option instead of update bumps.

you are doing very well.

besides ... nobody is going to get chunked into the dungeon for a mistake or two here and there. we know there will be an adustment period.

chillaaaaaaaaaaaaax. ;-)

Most of your new postings are classified I do believe that is why you got dropped

The new rules are not about how much you post on topics created by others. They are about how many topics you create. I post a lot, but I don't start that many. I will not be able to sell until I start more topics either. And I think the new posted rules are great. I can think of meaningful topics that I can start to contribute to the community as a whole.

EasyPeezy 02-12-2011 04:21 PM

It would be nice if we could also edit our topics in Main and Pictures.
Sometimes a poster would ask for suggestion and a few pages later has
made her decision, finished his/her project but will keep getting 100 more
suggestions. Would be nice to edit that topic to say "Update: see page 4 for
final decision" etc. Just a thought. :D

azwendyg 02-12-2011 04:25 PM

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time I need help. I wonder if there's something weird about Safari on my Mac that I don't have that option...

patricej 02-12-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by np3
The new rules are not about how much you post on topics created by others. They are about how many topics you create. I post a lot, but I don't start that many. I will not be able to sell until I start more topics either. And I think the new posted rules are great. I can think of meaningful topics that I can start to contribute to the community as a whole.

the new rules consider both ways a member contributes to our community. if you participate (comments) in a lot of quilting related conversations (topics) started by other members, that's active participation. BUT if the only new topics you start yourself are in the classifieds, or if more than half of them are in the classifieds, that's taking too much advantage of the privilege to sell.

our goal is to ensure that the classifieds are shared fairly by fully participating members. we also want to get the classifieds back to their original spirit ... occassional sales, at genuinely bargain prices, between members/friends.

if we can achieve that, fewer people will mistake us for an internet flea market for quilters. they won't join with visions of dollar signs dancing in their heads like christmas sugarplumbs.

we can properly focus on quilting, quilters, friendship and fun.

nativetexan 02-13-2011 10:00 AM

you should also "bookmark" your ad postings. makes it much easier to find them later. you go to your posting, then click "bookmark" and in the area that opens, you type the title you want in there and click save or update. what ever is says. then when you want to look it up again, to to My Bookmarks at the top of the page.
your list of bookmarks should show up there.

patricej 02-13-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
Sometimes a poster would ask for suggestion and a few pages later has made her decision, finished his/her project but will keep getting 100 more suggestions. Would be nice to edit that topic to say "Update: see page 4 for final decision" etc. Just a thought. :D

"back in the day", members could edit their posts anytime they wanted. the results were ... shall we say .... interesting. :lol:

i'm tickled pink to help with edits when you need them. the other mods can help, too.

EasyPeezy 02-13-2011 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
Sometimes a poster would ask for suggestion and a few pages later has made her decision, finished his/her project but will keep getting 100 more suggestions. Would be nice to edit that topic to say "Update: see page 4 for final decision" etc. Just a thought. :D

"back in the day", members could edit their posts anytime they wanted. the results were ... shall we say .... interesting. :lol:

i'm tickled pink to help with edits when you need them. the other mods can help, too.

I see. :D