Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Trying to understand

  1. #1
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    Can someone tell me how you edit the heading after you have created a topic. I need to update prior postings for items for sale & don't want to do something else wrong or agtainst the rules again.

  2. #2
    Super Member mommamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    3,110
    top left - there should be an 'edit topic' button

  3. #3
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Did you find it?

  4. #4
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    No! I just went to one of my prior postings, & I can't find anywhere, where you can edit the topic heading.

    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Did you find it?

  5. #5
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    The "Edit topic" area does not let you edit the topic heading.

    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    top left - there should be an 'edit topic' button

  6. #6
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Above bookmark box, in small letters it should say edit topics title.

  7. #7
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Oh, it is in blue on my computer, very tiny. You click on it and you can edit the title.

  8. #8
    Super Member mommamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    3,110
    look above your avatar - not at the way top

  9. #9
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    16,254
    Blog Entries
    2
    it's small and above your avatar in your posting. in blue. edit topic's title is what you should see. click on that, edit and update.

  10. #10
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    Thanks Nancy,
    I guess I need better glasses. If I update a topic title, is that considered "bumping". If not, what is bumping? I spent 1/2 hr. reading the rules this a.m. & I'm trying to understand the proper procedures when posting an ad.

    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Oh, it is in blue on my computer, very tiny. You click on it and you can edit the title.

  11. #11
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,192
    Blog Entries
    3
    the rules encourage you to use the Edit Topic Title option instead of update bumps.

    you are doing very well.

    besides ... nobody is going to get chunked into the dungeon for a mistake or two here and there. we know there will be an adustment period.

    chillaaaaaaaaaaaaax. ;-)

  12. #12
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,156
    No you can edit your title no problem

  13. #13
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,156
    Patrice beat me to it!!

  14. #14
    Super Member mommamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    3,110
    my understanding is bumping is when someone adds to their 'ad' after they posted so it appears at the top of the list again.

    If you are just clarifying in your topic & it's a one time thing I don't think that's bumping.

  15. #15
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Thanks Nancy,
    I guess I need better glasses. If I update a topic title, is that considered "bumping". If not, what is bumping? I spent 1/2 hr. reading the rules this a.m. & I'm trying to understand the proper procedures when posting an ad.

    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Oh, it is in blue on my computer, very tiny. You click on it and you can edit the title.
    You are doing great. Took me a long time to find that link the first time I closed a sale. Updating the title is encouraged. When someone posts to your topic, it goes to the top of the list. Bumping is when you write something as a reply to deliberately bump yourself to the top. You are not supposed to do that, but it happens.

  16. #16
    Super Member azwendyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    2,076
    Blog Entries
    1
    Is the "edit topic" only available on posting in the classified section? I've had a couple of spelling errors in my titles that I would have loved to have been able to correct. I've looked back at my topics and just plain do not have an "edit topic" anywhere...

  17. #17
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    I spend literally hours each day reading posts & answering questions when I can, so I was very dismayed this a.m. when my posting in the Classified section to sell a couple books was immediately deleted. I had only been posting one a week in the Classified Section, but have made thousands of reply posts.

    I think I spent half an hr. reading the new rules, but will have to go back as I still don't see why some posts are o.k. when they are not quilt related.

    I still do not understand what bumping is. Thanks for helping to explain.

    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    the rules encourage you to use the Edit Topic Title option instead of update bumps.

    you are doing very well.

    besides ... nobody is going to get chunked into the dungeon for a mistake or two here and there. we know there will be an adustment period.

    chillaaaaaaaaaaaaax. ;-)

  18. #18
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,156
    It is just in classifieds send a moderator a Pm and they will help you.

  19. #19
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,156
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I spend literally hours each day reading posts & answering questions when I can, so I was very dismayed this a.m. when my posting in the Classified section to sell a couple books was immediately deleted. I had only been posting one a week in the Classified Section, but have made thousands of reply posts.

    I think I spent half an hr. reading the new rules, but will have to go back as I still don't see why some posts are o.k. when they are not quilt related.

    I still do not understand what bumping is. Thanks for helping to explain.

    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    the rules encourage you to use the Edit Topic Title option instead of update bumps.

    you are doing very well.

    besides ... nobody is going to get chunked into the dungeon for a mistake or two here and there. we know there will be an adustment period.

    chillaaaaaaaaaaaaax. ;-)
    Most of your new postings are classified I do believe that is why you got dropped

  20. #20
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg
    Is the "edit topic" only available on posting in the classified section? I've had a couple of spelling errors in my titles that I would have loved to have been able to correct. I've looked back at my topics and just plain do not have an "edit topic" anywhere...
    You can edit the title of any topic you post. Look again, it is very small, no box around it.

  21. #21
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,192
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg
    Is the "edit topic" only available on posting in the classified section? I've had a couple of spelling errors in my titles that I would have loved to have been able to correct. I've looked back at my topics and just plain do not have an "edit topic" anywhere...
    if you'd like a title fixed and either don't have or can't find the option to edit the title, a moderator can help you. :-)

  22. #22
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,028
    you can only do it for a while, except in the classifieds section. just looked at one of my older non-classified topics and it is not there.

    has anyone else noticed the lack of new topics in the classifieds since the new rules went in? Looks like we will all be able to save some money and not buy so much, lol!

  23. #23
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    O.K. Nancy,
    I think I got the bumping issue resolved. At least I'm not guilty of that one. I don't think I ever replied to my own posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Thanks Nancy,
    I guess I need better glasses. If I update a topic title, is that considered "bumping". If not, what is bumping? I spent 1/2 hr. reading the rules this a.m. & I'm trying to understand the proper procedures when posting an ad.

    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Oh, it is in blue on my computer, very tiny. You click on it and you can edit the title.
    You are doing great. Took me a long time to find that link the first time I closed a sale. Updating the title is encouraged. When someone posts to your topic, it goes to the top of the list. Bumping is when you write something as a reply to deliberately bump yourself to the top. You are not supposed to do that, but it happens.

  24. #24
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I spend literally hours each day reading posts & answering questions when I can, so I was very dismayed this a.m. when my posting in the Classified section to sell a couple books was immediately deleted. I had only been posting one a week in the Classified Section, but have made thousands of reply posts.

    I think I spent half an hr. reading the new rules, but will have to go back as I still don't see why some posts are o.k. when they are not quilt related.

    I still do not understand what bumping is. Thanks for helping to explain.

    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    the rules encourage you to use the Edit Topic Title option instead of update bumps.

    you are doing very well.

    besides ... nobody is going to get chunked into the dungeon for a mistake or two here and there. we know there will be an adustment period.

    chillaaaaaaaaaaaaax. ;-)
    Most of your new postings are classified I do believe that is why you got dropped
    The new rules are not about how much you post on topics created by others. They are about how many topics you create. I post a lot, but I don't start that many. I will not be able to sell until I start more topics either. And I think the new posted rules are great. I can think of meaningful topics that I can start to contribute to the community as a whole.

  25. #25
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,804
    It would be nice if we could also edit our topics in Main and Pictures.
    Sometimes a poster would ask for suggestion and a few pages later has
    made her decision, finished his/her project but will keep getting 100 more
    suggestions. Would be nice to edit that topic to say "Update: see page 4 for
    final decision" etc. Just a thought. :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.