Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Turning living room into sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turning-living-room-into-sewing-room-t206027.html)

lalaland 11-18-2012 01:08 AM

I think that's a great idea! I would do exactly the same thing, we never use the living room. The only reason I don't is the master bedroom is in the front of the house too, I do most of my sewing at night and stay up pretty late, the noise would keep my DH awake.

maryel 11-19-2012 06:33 AM

I think that it's a great idea, you will be so much happier with the larger space to sew and create!

mjhaess 11-19-2012 06:50 AM

Go for it...You don't have to share your space with anyone but yourself.....That is what is nice about living alone....

Becky Crafts 11-20-2012 03:22 AM

My DH & I have talked about needing more space & I've already told him that I do want a sewing room to store fabric, tools, etc., but that I will always be happier in the same room as him so we can talk whenever we want to & I can hear the TV. I don't watch it much, but I listen sometimes! Have a wonderful time making your sewing room in your livingroom!! I say it's the best of all worlds! Go for it!! :-)

Pat G 11-27-2012 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by BeckyB (Post 5657996)
my single friend turned her living room into a sew room, now we go to her house and do SEW DAYS at her house because there is room for the three of us to sew together, it is a great idea! You only go around once...make it the best once!

I totally agree with BeckyB. Your home is your "world" so do whatever works for you in it.

VickieW 12-03-2012 06:12 PM

If I had my own place I would totally do this! I spend most of my extra time in my craft room. He goes to be a lot earlier than I do so I am on my own most of the evening. He would have a coniption fit if I turned the living room into a studio! But, if I had my own place I would do it in a heartbeat!

gail-r 12-05-2012 03:32 AM

i live in a one bedroom apt, with a good sized den which I have setup for my sewing room and a couple of months ago I have dish network come out and move the tv from the bedroom to the sewing room. Now I seldom have the big tv in the livingroom on or spend much time in the livingroom. Sounds like a great idea to me.

rekrug 12-08-2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 (Post 5661363)
I would like to use our master bedroom as a sewing room, and move our bed and dressers to a smaller room that my sewing stuffings in now. If it were just me, I SURE WOULD!!

My hubby and I are both crafters/sewers, etc. We have often talked about making the upstairs master bedroom into a combined "play" area. We have a bedroom downstairs that was formally our master, so we know our stuff will fit without issue. We are still toying with the idea!

jlm5419 12-08-2012 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 (Post 5659740)
I say go for it. I am thinking of doing the same, if I can figure out how to get the furniture to fit in the den. Oh, and a screen of some sort so you don't see the mess from the front door. The Formal living room is the largest room in the house, and my sewing room is the smallest. Makes sense to me.

I DID IT!!!! I have transformed the den into my sewing room. It is still a mess, while I figure out where to put stuff. DH has promised to find a screen/divider to block the view from the doorway, so visitors don't have to see my mess when they come into the house. Okay, I admit, my sewing area is usually messy.

clsurz 12-08-2012 01:04 PM

Go for it!