Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Turning living room into sewing room

Question Turning living room into sewing room

I need others thoughts and ideas of making my living room into a sewing room. It's only me here,and hardly any company at my apartment. I think if I move sewing room to living room and visa-versa, I would work more on my quilting. What are your thoughts?

Thank you
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    I say go for it. Please yourself. I would if I could. Better lighting. The TV, and computer. Have everything I want in one place. As it is now, I move from one room to another to do things. Back and forth and so on. Good exercise, yes, but, it wastes a lot of time.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

I sew in my living room as my husband does not like to be alone. I have everything stashed in the living room, machine, cabinet, cutting table. huge fabric shelf and everything except the frame and some day that might come out there also. works well for us. If visitors come they see the real production line. go for it

I so agree. I'm in much the same situation but have a garage-family room that I turned into my sewing room. Now it's the favorite room in the place for sewing, reading, relaxing & my pets enjoy it too.
    margaret

Blog Entries
    I wish I could turn my living room into my sewing room. But my husband would not allow me to do it. So I used the guestroom, put a TV in there and take a nap when I get tired.

Blog Entries
    I say go for it.

It sounds like a great idea to me. You can arrange it any way you want without having to consider what "others" think. Good for you!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    my single friend turned her living room into a sew room, now we go to her house and do SEW DAYS at her house because there is room for the three of us to sew together, it is a great idea! You only go around once...make it the best once!
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

Banned
    Hi Sharon
    My ex and I bought a 2 family house together and moved up here to New Hampshire in the mid-90s.
    The house had been lived in by college students, so needed a lot of work.
    I was already a quilter so here's what I did: the living room became my big sewing room.
    I had the renovator put in a huge closet across most of one wall with shelves for my fabric collection.
    I had a door I didn't need (went into a front hall) removed and replaced with a wall, giving me space for a design wall.
    I had shades made for the 3 windows of some special meshy material that kept rays out (so fabric wouldn't fade from sunlight)
    I spend most of my time in that room and have never had a moment's regret.
    My smallish dining room became my living room.
    Last edited by gollytwo; 11-15-2012 at 04:20 AM.

I agree. Change it. It's your apartment, it's your life, and it's better a room be used rather than not. Go for it.

Blog Entries
    I think it is a wonderful idea. I would spend more time with my husband but with two GGS around most of the time I am glad to have a small room of my own..finally....

Your house should work for you and sometimes conventional use does just not suit or reflect your way of living. Our living room is just now having another remodel. For years it has been a giant office with desks, filing cabinets and computer stations for my family (homework and work had to come ahead of a showpiece living room). My last student has just graduated, I have recently retired and DH is down sizing his business. The living room will now be a "study" with some comfortable seating, one desk, some bookshelves and no filing cabinets or computers! Eventually it may be a living room again but who knows?
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Blog Entries
    My husband has finally come to the realization that my sewing room is really a fabric storage facility. I sew in my dining room. Up side is when we entertain, I have to clean the whole thing out, so I keep reorganizing.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I love all the thoughts on using space. That's what are homes are - spaces for use. If it works best to use a small bedroom as a cozy den/living room and the spacious living room for sewing then so be it. Your sewing friends will love it, room to be with you when they come visit. Everyone doing their thing in comfort. happy stitching
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

Of course you should create YOUR sewing room wherever you want. Bet once you do this, you'll be smiling each and every time you create there!

There's lots of wonderful organizing ideas/pictures in a special section here at quiltingboard. Just let us know what you end up doing and how you make it work for you.

I would so do that is I lived alone.

Hi Sharon - I too live alone in a 1-bedroom apartment and currently sew in the "dining area". What I did was to buy some tall kitchen wall cabinets from Ikea, laid them on their sides, attached the door hinges so that the doors lift down and not up, then added a second stack. I can store my sewing machines and fabric for current projects. But I hate having to put my sewing machine away on the rare occasions when someone comes to visit, and to keep my living room basically unused except for those occasions when my children sleep over (twice a year) makes little sense. I'm loving your idea more and more.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I know of a single lady who lives in a lovely home backing up to a lake - and her quilting machine and all her goodies reside in the living room - right as you walk in the front door. I have thought of it myself but the downstairs family room is longer and mine fits there better altho I would prefer it upstairs. It is YOUR home. Enjoy it.

Blog Entries
    I have a 20x24 family room that I found was rarely used with no family home....I turned the 12x18 dining room into the living room and put my grace quilter and DH treadmill in the big room along with all the dining furniture in the big room...we rarely use the table as we have a kitchen bar...so much more useable space now.
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Why not? My husband wants to do this. He will turn the extra bedroom that I use for sewing into a TV room. Works for us. Your home should reflect your lifestyle. A lot of artists live in their studios ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    I agree with others, go for it.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

My living room was turned into my studio about two years ago and I have never regretted it for a second. I spend much more time sewing, designing, and creating than I ever did before. The room is open, bright, comfortable, and a real joy to be in. I work with less stress, fewer mistakes, and more enjoyment of the whole process. As a result, I think the quality of my work has improved...and I'm certain that the quality of my time has.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

It is your space to use as you like. I have sort of taken over our dining room - I can pull the door closed. I like the big table and need some of the chairs, but there is no place else in the house for the rest of the chairs where they wouldn't be in the way. So far, any company has been happy to eat in the kitchen. And if they aren't happy, well, then, there's my answer!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon59 View Post
    I need others thoughts and ideas of making my living room into a sewing room. It's only me here,and hardly any company at my apartment. I think if I move sewing room to living room and visa-versa, I would work more on my quilting. What are your thoughts?

Thank you
    Sharon
    I too live alone in a small apt; I say do what you want ! I have a sewing machine set up on "dining room" table, where it stays almost ALL the time. I have a small non conditioned "sunroom" that I use for storage; I have a small desk in there that I use for my cutting table; it is about 2 steps away from my sewing machine so that is convenient. Just this week I bought a 6' folding table from Target for $32 (sale price, wheeeee!) that I'm going to set up my bedroom in order to use as a cutting table; the bedroom has sliding glass doors to the sunroom so it will all be convenient.

Sometimes I feel that my living room is one big craft room, since I not only sew, quilt but am an avid knitter also; therefore I always a project or two (or four or more) lying around......my thoughts are, IT IS YOUR APT, not a show room and you should do what makes you happy !
    Sandy

Blog Entries
    I agree, use the space the way you want to use it. I almost did the exact same thing, but instead I turned my master bedroom into my office/sewing room. It works really well for me and I love it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast