Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Ideas for turning garage into a sewing room? >

Ideas for turning garage into a sewing room?

Ideas for turning garage into a sewing room?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 AM

Default Ideas for turning garage into a sewing room?

[COLOR="#FF0000"]I am buying a smaller home which doesn't have any room for my sewing, but does have an extra garage - soooo I plan to convert it - can you help?

I tried to post a picture, but no can do YET. Anyway, the walls and ceiling has chipboard, the floor is concrete and it is a one car garage. I wanted to put floor to celing shelves on which to store my many many totes of fabric, etc, Paining the chipboard a light color would seem great, and the floor, I am not too clear on - laminate, indoor.outdoor carpet, or what?? I would like to put my big tv in there with a couple recliners.....any thoughts?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...1&d=1383054025

I MUST be a comfortable space - heck, I will be there MOST of the time! THANKS
Attached Thumbnails garage.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 AM

Oh! this project must be budget friendly! (I don't want much, huh?)
Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I now have the garage as my sewing room, love it. We insulated, drywalled, ect. it is attached to the house so it is wonderful!!! Good luck and enjoy!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 AM

It looks like a great space. I know you'll have fun putting it together and using it. I like your idea for shelving along the walls. I would want the best flooring I could afford, something comfortable for standing on .... like a cushioned flooring or cushioned pads strategically placed. Do you have a number of electrical outlets for all those machines and accessories? I look forward to seeing your work in progress and finished project.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

It depends on where you live. If it is where you get cold winters, you will need to insulate. If it is where it is moist/hot in the summer you will want air conditioning. Machines like comfortable living conditions to operate well. A coat of paint on the chip board will brighten it up and if you put in floor to ceiling shelves, you won't see it any way. The flooring again, will depend on where you live. A laminate wood floor can go down on cement but it needs a vapor barrier and insulation.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:12 AM

As Tartan says, depends on where you live. Comfort and climate (as well as insect) control is first and foremost. What are you going to do with the garage door? If it looks out on a pleasant scene I would put in a patio door for nice light and easy access. A door will let you spirit new stash right into the sewing cave without leaving scent in the house. I would look for inexpensive kitchen cabinets and counter tops for storage. then I would install narrow depth bookcases for storage of fabric on comic book boards. Can you just paint the concrete floor? Makes for easy rolling of a chair. I'll be watching because I have dreams some day of converting our twocar attached garage into my sewing cave.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:32 AM

Needless to say, you'll need insulation, regardless of where you live. When dh converted a shed for my sewing, he found some flooring on sale, at either Lowe's or Home Depot. It's just vinyl 'planks' but they look nice, are easy to clean, and my chair rolls effortlessly. You'll also need to work on the lighting. We chose 'daylight' fluorescent lighting, which works for me.

Can you replace the garage door with a wall and door? A LOT of heat/cooling escapes, through a garage door.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:18 AM

Is the other garage attached to the house? If so I would take that one and use it instead and put the car in here. Much better to go in and out of the house in the winter with out a coat and not heat another garage.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Like the others ... where you are will determine some of what you will do.
Be sure to factor in all the seasons, and weather changes ... and the effects they will create for the short term while you are in there, and the long term, such as humidity and dampness potentially creating mold.

Another factor to check ... any bylaws and/or regulations for you to make the changes you want. That might determine whether the garage door could be removed and a patio door installed. That being said ... you could always leave the garage door, and open it on nice days. Screening might be a good consideration as well.

There is so much more that is do-able ... you really need to think it all thru as to what your needs and wants are. You can get so many ideas from the previous threads where others have shown their sewing areas and what they have done. Make your wish list and do some graph paper work, to determine the layouts and how things might fit in.

Have FUN as you make your plans and see it come into being!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 AM

We just had a bathroom put in our basement (floor is unlevel of course) so we put down those rubber squares they use for play areas for the kids. We found the tiles in black and it makes it so nice to walk down there. They fit together like tongue and groove. I think they are about 3/4 inch thick. We painted the walls a light yellow and it looks really nice.