Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: sewing room built into the garage...my dd idea

sewing room built into the garage...my dd idea

We are in dire need of a sewing room for me. As of now my sewing has ground to a halt because of space and time. My DD said that we could make a room out of a corner of the garage. I am all for a room just for me but there are many concerns. Im afraid that all the dust from his woodworking will make its way into the room. I dont know if the cost of doing this is worth it either. Has anyone else tried to creat a room in your garage and do you think it stays clean?

I think your concerns are legitimate. I'll be interested in seeing what others suggest.

lol I mean to say that my DH suggested this, not my dd

Blog Entries
    I would only consider it if the space was enclosed, not shared with the wood shop. Then you can control the dust, but now you have to deal with H/Vac. YOu will need to control the humidity also. The only Garage to sewing space conversions I've heard of is where they have converted the space to living area first.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Similar to PaperPrincess my neighbor did convert part of his garage to a controlled environment for his wine collection. Later on it was converted into an extra bedroom with it's own half bathroom. It was beautiful and clean.

This is something you would need a good contractor to do for you. If it works for you go ahead. Remember to put in extra electrical and good lighting.

Am looking forward to knowing what you decide to do.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Have you considered one of those storage buildings?? They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, with insulation and walls it should be a great place. Should be easy to cool and heat also AND it will be yours only.

delma

I had a friend who had her long arm and fabric, etc. in her garage. She had improved the lighting and there was indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor. It was very clean whenever I saw it. I don't think anyone did any woodworking in there, but it does seem to me that a car was parked on the other side some of the time. She must have had an a/c unit, because that was in a very hot climate.

When we built our house we built a large shop out back which my DH did not use that much for woodworking. He just had it more as a storage for his "junk". So he enclosed about a third of it for me a shop. It is completely contained with roof, walls, windows, ac, heater and TV. I love it, it is not fancy, but then neither am I. It is 11X17. He put inexpensive paneling on the walls, shelves, pegboard for hanging, 4X8 design wall, very large cutting tables. The cutting tables are large enough to put a 24X48 large ironing board at one one and still have plenty of room for a large cutting mat.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I turned my attached garage into my sewing room. It had heat in there already and I just added a lot more lights, outlets, did the drywall and threw a new floor in there. I still have to work on the ceiling. I don't mind if that takes a long time to get done. It's so nice to have the extra space to work.

If you put a room in there that is completely enclosed, I don't see there being much of an issue.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I'd also worry about the woodworking dust. If there was a way to separate your sewing stuff from his wood working stuff then it would be a good idea - as long as you can heat and cool it. Nobody wants to quilt in the summer in a 100 degree room Do you have a dining room that you can take over instead? We ditched the whole dining room designation and turned it in to a video game room

If he is going to enclose part of the garage (make a separate room) just for your sewing room - go for it. My sewing room is actually above our garage, and when my husband is working down there, I don't have any problems with dust, smells, etc. Sometimes he can be noisy, but I just turn up my radio.

Blog Entries
    I know what kind of mess wood working machines make, and your absolutely right. I also know what kind dusty mess my sewing room is by itself. I am always shocked to see just how much dust created from thread. Likely not a great combo.

My DH is in the process of building a shed, with shop...he suggested making the shop area larger so I will have a special sewing room...but this was my EXACT thought..with all of the dust, and then not having my own space with quiet included would be interrupted and create more stress than peace. I declined - and have accepted one room in our home as my sewing room. Some day, I'd like to have my own little building - and a long arm quilter - sigh...I can dream!

Blog Entries
    Do you have a spare bedroom that is rarely used?? I ousted the bed and turned my spare room into my sewing room and I love it!! Also I have a garage workshop that is reserved for woodworking and sewing only - no vehicles allowed. The sawdust is a problem. When woodworking, I cover my garage fabrics with heavy plastics. Main problem is I have to do some planning and finish the wood stuff before resuming the fabric stuff.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I gave my spare bed and dresser and nightstand away and turned the spare room into my sewing room. Alas, my kids have been horrified! Now, when they come to visit, I put them up in a hotel and they don't like it. They want to stay with me. I tried to explain that the room sat empty 360 days a year and I now use it every day sewing. They feel like orphans. It use to be my daughter's bedroom. The other bedroom is our computer room and my husband's room he uses to get ready for work...he's a railroader and carries a lot of things and wears a lot of clothes. But, my kids can't get over the fact that I love sewing so much that I took out the bedroom. Even though I put them up in a nice hotel.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I took over the spare bedroom for my sewing room, but there is a roll-a-way bed in there. I put one end of the bed up, and on there I hang projects I'm currently working on. (Or hope to be soon. LOL) The flat side is storage for quilts, batts and such. When someone wants to sleep in there, everything gets piled onto my cutting table, and they have a good sleep. Then when they leave it takes very little to put it back to working condition. This last August, my son came over during the quilt show. I said at least it will be easier to "find" the bed, as a lot of the quilts were at the show.

I never thought of taking over the garage It is a triple so I would have enogh room for friends to quilt as well. However in MN the garage does not have a very long season........

Blog Entries
    I hear you, jcrow! When my daughter moved out for the second time (it's a long story) I thought, oh boy, I can now have a craft room! The other spare room we have is small and used for storage (mostly dh's stuff). However, now that craft room is full of boxes and bags of who knows what and needs a hurricane to come and clean it all out!
    When dd and her bunch come for a visit, they stay with HIS kinfolk! I wish we HAD a garage I could turn into a sewing room, but for now, my little sewing corner is in our bedroom.
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Great idea and completely do-able. Clearly you are going to put in a room, not an area so therefore you will have an enclosed, private place. I would guess you are going to construct this yourself, otherwise you would place the burden of making sure the room is sealed upon the contractor. How you will enter is really where that problem comes into play. If you are planning to enter through his work space, then you are definitely going to have dust and dirt issues. If you are going to make a separate entrance then the point is moot. If you must enter through his space, a good mat outside your door, long rug inside and be sure to use the proper type of foam insulating strips around the door. I'd throw down a rolled up towel or one of those draft blockers too as an extra measure.

You need to be sure that you insulate well, have plenty of electrical outlets and good lighting. If noise is a problem, then you would double sheetrock on the adjoining walls, it blocks noise better than doubling the insulation. A skylight might add the extra light you need. If you are doing this yourself, doing a little at a time helps with the expense and if you have a Habitat Restore near you, check it out for inexpensive materials. Good luck, and enjoy it.
    Patti
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.
    ~Mark Twain

Other than the dust, can you create the type of inviting envirnment that would enhance your time spent sewing? I amnot sure where you live but climate control would be on the top of my list of concerns.

I think I would look for a better place in the house. Too much dust for a sewing room. You will have dust in your fabric, on your quilts and in your sewing machine. Unless you enclose it totally, by then it will probably be too small if this is a shared space. I don't know where you live but you will need to consider, heat/AC, lighting, flooring, concrete floors are cold in the winter. Any space in the house already has these things, so consider the expense as well.

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is built into our garage. No problems so far. Just make sure you have it well enclosed.

Blog Entries
    My first sewing room was in the garage. The attached workroom ( 8'w x length of garage) originally was for wood working and when I moved in the first thing i did was to convert it to a sewing room. DH Put a wall to wall table in the back of the room. I set up my shelving and added a carpet. DH put in a few light fixtures. The guy that built the garage was very smart cause he put double doors in the wall that seperated the WR from the car area. I covered the doors with white felt and split it down the center of the doors for a design wall. I was ready to go! I did hve to mouse proof the room by adding rubber strips at the bottom of the doors. Never had problem with car smells or dust from DH work area.
    I loved that room but outgrew it.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I gave my spare bed and dresser and nightstand away and turned the spare room into my sewing room. Alas, my kids have been horrified! Now, when they come to visit, I put them up in a hotel and they don't like it. They want to stay with me. I tried to explain that the room sat empty 360 days a year and I now use it every day sewing. They feel like orphans. It use to be my daughter's bedroom. The other bedroom is our computer room and my husband's room he uses to get ready for work...he's a railroader and carries a lot of things and wears a lot of clothes. But, my kids can't get over the fact that I love sewing so much that I took out the bedroom. Even though I put them up in a nice hotel.
    Good for you!! Why keep a room for them and do without using it most of the time. Tell them they are grownups now and just need to get over it. All my kids within a half hour drive from us and never spend the night. I share my small sewing room w/four cats and use my dining room when I need to.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

We built an oversized garage last year and I got a 10' x 19' sewing room completely contained. I have a pocket door that I can close when not in use, and thankfully, my husband does not do woodworking in his part of the garage.

I have two windows, wall to wall carpeting and I purchased 2 china cabinets, a dry sink, and another curio cabinet at an estate sale to store fabrics, etc. I use shelf units also to store fabric. Everything seems to stay clean except for the occasional "dust bunnies". I have a ceiling fan, cam lights, a TV, radio, and 4 sewing machines. The only thing I would like to add is a window air conditioner for the warmer months. I am very happy with my "woman cave"!!
    heberstitcher
    I am Always In Stitches in AZ