Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing room built into the garage...my dd idea >

sewing room built into the garage...my dd idea

sewing room built into the garage...my dd idea

Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 AM

If he is going to enclose part of the garage (make a separate room) just for your sewing room - go for it. My sewing room is actually above our garage, and when my husband is working down there, I don't have any problems with dust, smells, etc. Sometimes he can be noisy, but I just turn up my radio.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 AM

I know what kind of mess wood working machines make, and your absolutely right. I also know what kind dusty mess my sewing room is by itself. I am always shocked to see just how much dust created from thread. Likely not a great combo.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:35 AM

My DH is in the process of building a shed, with shop...he suggested making the shop area larger so I will have a special sewing room...but this was my EXACT thought..with all of the dust, and then not having my own space with quiet included would be interrupted and create more stress than peace. I declined - and have accepted one room in our home as my sewing room. Some day, I'd like to have my own little building - and a long arm quilter - sigh...I can dream!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:03 AM

Do you have a spare bedroom that is rarely used?? I ousted the bed and turned my spare room into my sewing room and I love it!! Also I have a garage workshop that is reserved for woodworking and sewing only - no vehicles allowed. The sawdust is a problem. When woodworking, I cover my garage fabrics with heavy plastics. Main problem is I have to do some planning and finish the wood stuff before resuming the fabric stuff.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I gave my spare bed and dresser and nightstand away and turned the spare room into my sewing room. Alas, my kids have been horrified! Now, when they come to visit, I put them up in a hotel and they don't like it. They want to stay with me. I tried to explain that the room sat empty 360 days a year and I now use it every day sewing. They feel like orphans. It use to be my daughter's bedroom. The other bedroom is our computer room and my husband's room he uses to get ready for work...he's a railroader and carries a lot of things and wears a lot of clothes. But, my kids can't get over the fact that I love sewing so much that I took out the bedroom. Even though I put them up in a nice hotel.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 AM

I took over the spare bedroom for my sewing room, but there is a roll-a-way bed in there. I put one end of the bed up, and on there I hang projects I'm currently working on. (Or hope to be soon. LOL) The flat side is storage for quilts, batts and such. When someone wants to sleep in there, everything gets piled onto my cutting table, and they have a good sleep. Then when they leave it takes very little to put it back to working condition. This last August, my son came over during the quilt show. I said at least it will be easier to "find" the bed, as a lot of the quilts were at the show.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:25 AM

I never thought of taking over the garage It is a triple so I would have enogh room for friends to quilt as well. However in MN the garage does not have a very long season........
Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 AM

I hear you, jcrow! When my daughter moved out for the second time (it's a long story) I thought, oh boy, I can now have a craft room! The other spare room we have is small and used for storage (mostly dh's stuff). However, now that craft room is full of boxes and bags of who knows what and needs a hurricane to come and clean it all out!
When dd and her bunch come for a visit, they stay with HIS kinfolk! I wish we HAD a garage I could turn into a sewing room, but for now, my little sewing corner is in our bedroom.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 AM

Great idea and completely do-able. Clearly you are going to put in a room, not an area so therefore you will have an enclosed, private place. I would guess you are going to construct this yourself, otherwise you would place the burden of making sure the room is sealed upon the contractor. How you will enter is really where that problem comes into play. If you are planning to enter through his work space, then you are definitely going to have dust and dirt issues. If you are going to make a separate entrance then the point is moot. If you must enter through his space, a good mat outside your door, long rug inside and be sure to use the proper type of foam insulating strips around the door. I'd throw down a rolled up towel or one of those draft blockers too as an extra measure.

You need to be sure that you insulate well, have plenty of electrical outlets and good lighting. If noise is a problem, then you would double sheetrock on the adjoining walls, it blocks noise better than doubling the insulation. A skylight might add the extra light you need. If you are doing this yourself, doing a little at a time helps with the expense and if you have a Habitat Restore near you, check it out for inexpensive materials. Good luck, and enjoy it.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 AM

Other than the dust, can you create the type of inviting envirnment that would enhance your time spent sewing? I amnot sure where you live but climate control would be on the top of my list of concerns.