Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Uh oh, border shrunk HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/uh-oh-border-shrunk-help-t189730.html)

sandraa 05-22-2012 02:55 PM

Uh oh, border shrunk HELP

1 Attachment(s)
I am one of those that never wash fabric, so look at this mess. The blue border shrunk and pulled the whole quilt in. I was thinking the only way to fix would be to cut out the blue border and reattach the outside border to the purple inside border and do a kinda quilt as you go seam. Anyone have a better idea they care to share. This is a gift for a young man that works with me Thanks in advance. Sandra

ckcowl 05-22-2012 03:13 PM

WOW! i would remove the border- cut it to the correct size (if it can be pressed flat once it is removed from the quilt) then using sashing strips re-attach it straight. in the (quilt as you go) method.
it is a beautiful quilt- i hope it works out-
and it may have been the batting that shrunk---not the fabric- did you follow the laundering recommendations for the batting? Batik's really don't usually shrink like that- i would bet it was the batting- not the fabric.

joyce888 05-22-2012 03:35 PM

I guess because I can't see the actual quilt, it looks like the outer border is the one that shrunk. I would think if it was the middle border the first border would also be puckered. And I have had batik shrink after washing; it was a no-name brand. If it's the outer border you could take it off and maybe add a four-patch at the corners to make it fit.

dunster 05-22-2012 03:50 PM

Wow, I've never seen that happen. The first thing I would do is to try to block the quilt to see if you can straighten it out. Then if you can quilt it more densely it might stay straight. I think the problem might be that the quilting is not dense enough for the batting???

sahm4605 05-22-2012 04:00 PM

that is really bad. did you quilt the middle border? I have never ever ever seen shrinking in a quilt that weird. good luck. wish that I had an answer for you.

cassiemae 05-22-2012 04:21 PM

That is too bad about the border as the quilt is beautiful I just love your colors. Good luck and I hope you can salvage
the quilt.

Mariposa 05-22-2012 04:27 PM

The quilt itself is lovely. I do hope some of the suggestions above will work for you~

bearisgray 05-22-2012 04:33 PM

Wow - bet you couldn't get something to do that again if you tried.

I think it's one of the fabrics, too. If it was the batting, the whole thing should have been evenly puckered.

The colors are pretty -

Maybe you could remove the 'culprit' - repress the rest of the quilt - and applique a border in place of the offending piece?

crafty pat 05-22-2012 04:36 PM

I always wash my fabric first thing as I had that same problem years ago. Your quilt is so beautiful I hope you can fix it. I was lucky to have enough fabric to cut a new border.

QuiltnLady1 05-22-2012 04:50 PM

I would do what you suggested -- remove the border that shrunk and then add another border as a QAYG. I have made a quilt, quilted it and decided I needed another border and added it as QAYG successfully before I put the binding on.

I would be sure and wash any new border fabric and batting before adding it since the new stuff needs to shrink up before you attache it.