Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A very easy way to make ruffles..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-easy-way-make-ruffles-t204715.html)

bakermom 10-31-2012 02:25 PM

I was taught to use 3 rows to avoid the little pleats you can get when sewing gathers.

pinecone 10-31-2012 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5625581)
I was taught to do two rows of basting (similar to this method), for gathering. Pin each end, to seam line. Then fold to center of ruffle, matching center of seam line. Pin. Then fold to center of each piece, between pins. Match and pin. Depending upon the expanse to be sewn, this may be done several more times, before adjusting ruffles and sewing together. Been sewing over 50 years.

My method too and I had to think, I too have been sewing over 50 years!! *gasp*

piney

Neesie 10-31-2012 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by pinecone (Post 5626324)
My method too and I had to think, I too have been sewing over 50 years!! *gasp*

piney

Let's just say we both started very, very young! :D

Maribeth 10-31-2012 03:52 PM

I use the ruffle foot on my Bernina, however I have only used it a few times in the three years I have been sewing. The directions where a little confusing at first, but then the sales person showed me how to use it.

Ioftheneedle 10-31-2012 04:00 PM

I will only add to be sure you have a full bobbin.

NanaCsews2 10-31-2012 04:01 PM

One way to gather is to have a long bobbin thread when starting. Needs to be the same length or longer as the fabric length you are ruffling. Bring that bobbin thread up over the top of the fabric and lay it the length of the fabric toward the direction you are sewing. Put down the presser foot. Using a loose zig zag stitch (adjust your stitch length-I use a 2) and a width of 4-6, sew over the bobbin thread. Leave a long bobbin thread tail at the end. Pull the bobbin thread and gather up the fabric. Done!

barny 10-31-2012 05:12 PM

I'm 83 and I sew 2 rows also and sew my main line between the two basting rows after you have it pinned in of course.

petpainter 11-01-2012 04:21 AM

I'm with everyone else!! With the ruffler, you can't just work the gathers in the space allotted if working on a garment pattern. I use the zigzag technique when I make broomstick skirts and there are yards of fabric to gather. The serger and ruffler are good to use when you can gather a piece ahead of time like on a handbag or separate piece that is attached.

#1piecemaker 11-01-2012 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5625581)
I was taught to do two rows of basting (similar to this method), for gathering. Pin each end, to seam line. Then fold to center of ruffle, matching center of seam line. Pin. Then fold to center of each piece, between pins. Match and pin. Depending upon the expanse to be sewn, this may be done several more times, before adjusting ruffles and sewing together. Been sewing over 50 years.

This is the way I have done it too. Very simple!!

Beebee 11-01-2012 05:01 AM

looks like us " old timers" stick to the lessons taught years ago...GO GALS...GO!!