Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Virtual Quilt Retreat - March Edition 3-22-13 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/virtual-quilt-retreat-march-edition-3-22-13-a-t216483.html)

Yosamitesa 03-22-2013 12:16 PM

WOW!!! I'm hitting the fabric shop in the morning. Hubby will help me cut (I'm down after cutting my finger on Tuesday) and then I get to sew!!! I'm SO excited for this one!!! :)

Ashjoy 03-22-2013 12:54 PM

My center patch is finally finished, moving on to seing the braids.
I do need some Poitiers on making my circles nicer. I'm thinking I might have Ben better off doing a hexagon.

SheriR 03-22-2013 02:00 PM

If I didn't have this many matching colors, how would it look in rainbow 30's prints?

vickig626 03-22-2013 02:03 PM

So Far, So Good

2 Attachment(s)
I have to say I'm pleased with how this ombre fabric worked. Made selecting fabrics so much easier (and faster).

I had a problem with the center square by not doubling checking my math before cutting strips but happy with the "mistake". The pinwheel center was supposed to be one big pinwheel but I had cut up all the pink fabric into 2" strips so didn't leave enough to make a bigger pinwheel. In hindsight, though, I wish I would have pieced a tiny maroon square into the dead-center of that block.

I think I'm going to add about a 3" border in the maroon and bind in the same color. Not sure what I'm going to put on the back yet.

At least I can say I'll bust about 2 yards of fabric from my stash when done.

vickig626 03-22-2013 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch (Post 5946451)
OK I started this this morning. First I did a paper pieced block for the center. That was a first for me, not sure I like doing PP, it seems to take a lot more time to do them but it could be me. Now I did my strips 2 1/2" because I had them already in my scraps and I'm trying to use them up. One strip is only 2", LOL I really wanted to use that piece and that's all I had of it.

Now that I'm done with half of it, I realize it's going to be way to long for any table that I have so I think I'll turn this one into a small quilt.

I am so glad that we have 3 days to work on these because now i have to start over and try to find colors for a smaller version. Here's what I did this morning.

Looks great! PP is lots of fun once you get used to doing it. I might do something PP'd in my next one and plan my fabric better so I have enough. LOL

You've also given me some inspiration on making a neutrals for my step daughter. Wasn't sure how it would turn out but you gave me some ideas of color choices.

Ashjoy 03-22-2013 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not using the suggested variation of colors. I'm using a fat eights bundle I had and I'm loving how it looks. It's bright and cheery:). I will have to pick up fabric for the backing.

I'm so excited, the first half of my runner is done!

Ashjoy 03-22-2013 02:49 PM

Before I go any furthermore , my center square looks a little plain should I add something else to it?

CarolynMT 03-22-2013 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ashjoy (Post 5946835)
Before I go any furthermore , my center square looks a little plain should I add something else to it?

Wait till you quilt it, you can do some decorative stitches in the center when quilting it. I would do a box around that circle in the center, just one or even two rows of stitching in the center would give that a huge punch ;) great job

CarolynMT 03-22-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626 (Post 5946788)
You've also given me some inspiration on making a neutrals for my step daughter. Wasn't sure how it would turn out but you gave me some ideas of color choices.

Uh oh! addiction has set in :) this design is so easy to get addicted to, and produces some stunning results. Great job, love the colors!

CarolynMT 03-22-2013 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR (Post 5946765)
If I didn't have this many matching colors, how would it look in rainbow 30's prints?

The colors dont have to match. You may do what ever makes you happy. I personally like matching, but that is me. A rainbow of 30's prints would be nice I think. Just start with either side of the rainbow and go through to the other.
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. :)