Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wash a baby quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wash-baby-quilt-t92489.html)

Rebie 01-21-2011 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay newbie question. I'm finishing up a baby quilt for my niece and was wondering if I should wash the finished product before I give it? Should I just give it to her new and let her wash it? I haven't quilted it yet and have all the pieces. Should I wash the backing and the quilt top before quilting because of possible running? Oh so many questions. This is my second quilt and first baby one, so I'm still working out all the kinks. Help plz. I'll post a pic of the quilt top so you can see the colors.

sewwhat85 01-21-2011 09:06 AM

i have done it both ways if for a little one i would wash it

kathy 01-21-2011 09:07 AM

you definately don't want to wash the top! you'll have a mess of threads like no other! I always wash my finished quilts before they leave (if they fall apart I want to be the first to know!!!) :shock:

littlehud 01-21-2011 09:23 AM

I would wash it, but wait til it's quilting and the binding is on. Wash it with a color catcher and you should be OK.

katier825 01-21-2011 09:26 AM

I'd wash the finished quilt with a color catcher (or 2) and some gentle soap (unscented, baby soap, woolite, etc.).

crochetetc 01-21-2011 09:28 AM

I would wash it before giving it to them with directions to re wash it again with their baby soap.

My daughter is sensitive to different brands of detergent and has been since she was a newborn. I didn't wash quilts made by my mom because it was mom and she had washed them and we had a rash for a while.

Lynn Luker 01-21-2011 09:34 AM

I always wash mine before giving away also. (after it's quilted and bound) I keep a bottle of baby laundry soap on hand. I tell them I've washed it, but of course, they may want to rewash. I'm like Kathy, if there is a problem, I want to be able to fix it before I give it away! Congrats on making a lovely baby quilt!

Sadiemae 01-21-2011 09:35 AM

I wash it when it is totatlly finished, before gifting.

Rebie 01-21-2011 09:45 AM

Thank you, thank you. So glad I found this site. I'll hopefully have it finished this weekend? (fingers crossed) and can send it out. My first quilting job also. I figured 'it's small, it won't be bad', we'll see. My DH went out to buy me a walking foot yesterday cause I've been complaining about not having one all week so I couldn't finish the quilt. He asked the salesman for a 'floating foot' and then proceeded to tell him what it was for and came home with the right thing. He's adorable.
K, so wish me luck :). I'll post the finished product...as long as it turns out okay.

ckcowl 01-21-2011 09:48 AM

do NOT wash your quilt top before it is quilted and bound...you will wind up with a very big mess and a ruined quilt top. I always wash my quilts when they are finished before giving or letting go anywhere, it removes any marks i may have made, any oils/grime from working with the fabric and allows me to make sure everything is ok...if you give it before washing and something does run or come apart the reciepient will be crushed and very stressed...it is better for you to find out those things before the quilt goes anywhere.