Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing before selling? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-before-selling-t92920.html)

Raggiemom 01-22-2011 05:11 PM

I saw another thread about washing baby quilts before giving them away. In the same vein, should I wash the quilt before I list it for sale? I was thinking the same thing a couple ladies said--if it's going to fall apart, I want to know while I still have it! And if I wash it, should I put it in the dryer?

Thanks!

NanaInVirginia 01-22-2011 05:14 PM

I would wash and dry it using detergent that is fragance and dye free. I always use Shout Color Catcher sheets to catch any dyes that may wash out so that I don't end up ruining my project because of fading.

LovinMySoldier 01-22-2011 05:19 PM

That's a toughy. I think that any fabric once washed looses it "new" look and feel. If I was buying something, even handmade, I would want it to look new!
But I wash everything after I am done making it. I want it to bleed or get destroyed or whatever else may happen while I still have it. Once you gift it or sell it, it's theirs. I want the bad stuff to happen while its still mine.

carolaug 01-22-2011 05:19 PM

I gave a few away as gifts and did not wash them...I regret it now...I find when I wash them they look great...and one of the ones I first made was not sewn correctly. I still need to fix it. Thankfully it was mine. I hope the ones I made are ok and I hope they tell me if not...in the future...I will wash them before I give them away.

Annaquilts 01-22-2011 05:20 PM

No I do not always prewash before I give it away. I do tell people if it was washed or not and give them laundering/drying instructions.

dunster 01-22-2011 05:24 PM

Good fabric still looks and feels good after it is washed - if it didn't there would be no point in making quilts. I use starch while I'm quilting, and I want it gone before I gift a quilt. Many people have smokers, cats, dogs, or other critters in their homes while they are quilting, and the recipient may have allergies. I can't think of a single reason why a quilt shouldn't be washed when it is gifted, even if the fabric was pre-washed.

I put most quilts in the dryer under low heat and take them out when they're still just a little damp. I then lay them on a clean surface (e.g. a sheet on the floor) for blocking, if that's necessary.

Ceil 01-22-2011 05:27 PM

Interested in this topic.

ghostrider 01-22-2011 05:29 PM

Whether you wash them before giving them away is up to you, but if you're going to SELL it, yes, by all means, wash it first. If for no other reason than you want it sparkling clean! :shock:

Moonglow 01-22-2011 05:30 PM

I always wash my quilts after completing them to get rid of any marks and to fix up any 'errors' that show up. Yes it loses its 'new look' but I would prefer that than the recipient receiving a 'shabby' gift. I also print out instructions for washing and care of the quilt.

Candace 01-22-2011 05:34 PM

I wash all quilts after finishing them *except* for wallhangings.