Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which is the weakest link? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/weakest-link-t197070.html)

liont 08-08-2012 01:47 PM

Which is the weakest link?

Which is the most likely to give way first and need mending, assuming the quilt is well loved and used?
- Top piece (fabric worn out or torn at the seams?)
- threads used for piecing
- batting
- backing
- binding

Let's hear your experience.

sewmary 08-08-2012 02:03 PM

Usually all of the above when the dog is trying to get her bone from under the quilt!!!!

Seriously, I have a quilt from when my daughter was a baby (35 years ago) and none of the above is true. It is/was a well-used quilt still going strong so I can't be much help.

If I had to guess, I would say the binding only because of wear on the edges.

bearisgray 08-08-2012 02:07 PM

Assuming there are no tears or burns -

The binding is showing wear on my quilts

The fashion-fabric I used on my daughter's quilts was lighter weight than the Kona cotton I also used - that wore out - but she had big dogs climbing on the bed.

The seams are just fine, held together with Coats & Clark cotton covered Dual Duty thread - and these are all over ten years old!

ghostrider 08-08-2012 02:19 PM

None of the above if it's well constructed, of quality materials, not abused, and well maintained. I have several that would prove that, some even withstanding a small, polite Sheltie for many years. "Well loved and used" does not mean treated neglectfully.

quiltsRfun 08-08-2012 02:19 PM

For me it's usually the binding.

JustAbitCrazy 08-08-2012 02:28 PM

In classes on care and appraisal of vintage quilts, we were taught it is always the binding.

xxxxxxxxxx 08-08-2012 02:32 PM

well I can say, if you buy it from wal mart, the seams will fall apart

my son is also 35, The baby blanket we made now has woren holes in it...not one thread has let go.. but then it's not chinese thread sewn on a chinese machine..

the kid is a little weird, but the quilt is still here .

ckcowl 08-08-2012 03:08 PM

i have to agree with ghostrider on this one- my granddaughter's have quilts that they take everywhere with them- have picnics on- build forts with, take to the beach- car quilts, sleep overs, on the go & their quilts seem to go with them- the oldest (16) has the oldest one- and it has not needed any repairs- it is fading a bit & definitly doesn't look like it did 10 years ago- but no holes, worn out areas, areas needing any (fixing)
her bargello ocean quilt has (seems like a million) seams- and lots of appliques- has held up really well for 4 years now- no sign of any problems.
i did make a raggy though that wound up with a couple holes in a couple seams---my fault- since them i always stitch the joining (construction) seams twice for raggy's .

Jan in VA 08-08-2012 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bindings. It's one of the reasons I decided how to do a double layer binding.

Jan in VA

Favorite Fabrics 08-08-2012 08:03 PM

From repeated washings, in my experience it is the binding that takes the beating.

But... from lying on, sitting, and "spending time with"... the quilt I made for my kids' bed when they were small... there are squares completely worn through. No worries though, it was a quilt that was made to be used up.