Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to buy? or not to buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-buy-not-buy-t6078.html)

ddrobins1956 04-10-2008 03:19 PM

I'm not sure what to do and could use some advice. I have two sewing machines. One is my late step mothers a Singer, about 35yrs old. It's very temperamental and I've not really ever gotten the hang of sewing with that machine. My second machine is the one I use all the time. I've had it for three yrs. , paid under a hundred dollars for it and it's been a very good machine, for the money. It's a Europro. It's having a tension problem, which started when I was almost done machine quilting a small quilt. I'm going to have to pick out some of the quilting, because I can see that the tension was going haywire and I didn't notice.
Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should spend the money to get my cheapie machine fixed and my singer, tuned up, I really don't care for the Singer, or should I buy a new machine. If I buy a new machine, could I get a good machine with a deep throat for machine quilting for around $300.00 and if so, what would you ladies suggest that I look at buying. Tell me what you love about your machines or if you regret buying the machine that you have now. I'll be watching for your replies.

Knot Sew 04-12-2008 04:31 AM

I went through it to.......I would advise the list...........here is the thread............very helpful..........I did not need a main machine....as I have several old ones that work well......I just needed a few things that are not on the old ones...........I got a Kenmore

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/5593.page

Debra Mc 04-15-2008 01:52 PM

My very first machine was a Kenmore. Have had it about 38 years. Very good machine but didn't have a free arm and built in buttonholer. I hate to make button holes. My next one is also a Kenmore, nothing fancy but does have built in features that I wanted. Have had it at least 26 years. Made my first quilt on it. Machine quilted it and nearly killed myself because the throat was so small. Quilt was a queen size. So I started looking for a deep throated quilting machine. Boy was I fired up. Got all the brochures from the long arm machine companies. The one I wanted the Gammill(nothing fancy) cost more than my first 3 bedroom brick house built new from the ground up. I was so broken hearted. My husband told me he would buy me a new machine with a deeper throat so I started looking. The Bernia were so very expense. I found a Baby-Lock Quilter's Professional machine. It was just what I wanted. The only thing is, it doesn't do zigzag. The price is over $1000.00. I think it listed for about $1250.00 and that was about 2 years ago. I got mine on sale for $999.00. It has been worth every penny I paid for it. There may be some cheaper machines on the market but I couldn't find one. Sears-Kenmore doesn't make one with a deep throat. I couldn't afford Bernia. You might be able to find one that was a trade in. The Baby-Lock is a very good machine. I would highly recommend it. Just save your money.

Suz 04-20-2008 07:49 AM

Or you could go to a reputable dealer who has taken in trades and pick up a good used machine, one that may have some bells and whistles. Several ladies in our guild have had good machines and then trade up to a more sophisicated machine staying with the same dealer.

Perhaps a dealer would give you a good deal in trade for one of the malfunctioning machines you presently have for a much better machine. No need in keeping the one that does not work for you. The one you are presently using could be kept for a back up.

I often swap between two machines depending on which one has on the feet I need, i.e, straight stitch on one, zipper foot on the other. Works for me.

Good luck. Suzanne

Rose Marie 04-20-2008 10:12 AM

I have an H. Viking with a 10 inch throat, cost 1100. but has come down a few hundred since they came out with a new model.
It has eveything I need on it.
My only problem was the 1/4 inch foot did not work because the feed dogs were to wide. So I bought an edging foot that works the same as the 1/4 in foot except you have to move the needle all the way to the right, but I cannot get a scant 1/4 inch with it.
I love the 10 inch throat, much easier to shove a quilt thru.
It has the stay stitch and the needle down, both of which I find to be a neccesity.

ddrobins1956 04-20-2008 11:18 AM

Thanks for the advice ladies. I couldn't justify spending 60.00 on my newer machine when I didn't pay much more than that for it in the first place, so I had my old Kenmore serviced and I'm using it for now. The drawbacks are that the bobbin is underneath and not as easy to change. It's a very heavy machine so will limit the classes that I will be attending. I definitely won't be lugging this one around much. I don't have a quarter inch foot for it and I'm finding it difficult to adjust to sewing a good seam allowance without one. Anyone know where I can get a quarter inch foot for a thirty something yr old Kenmore?
I'm definitely in the market for a new machine, but will hold off for now. I want a good machine with a deep throat and I'm going to shop around. If I can find a good used one, that's probably what I will go for. Unless I hit the big lottery, in which case I'm buying top of the line and a gammill quilter to boot....lol. It's fun to dream eh?