Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you keep your fabric in? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-keep-your-fabric-t23690.html)

imjustme 08-03-2009 01:42 PM

I am going to have to buy a new cabinet or something. The one I had- I broke. We got a new aquarium (my other addiction) and had to move everything around to make it fit. My husband said we could trade spots with the 3 aquariums that are in our bedroom- for the table. Then I could have the computer and sewing machine on the same table. Anyway I thought he ment for me to move my cabinet, it was only 3 inches so I didn't say anything. I shoved and shoved and then it busted. Fabric was everywhere. Now I have it all in laundry baskets. When I had him come look at it he said he was sorry, he just ment that it needed to be moved 3 inches, not for me to do it. I don't have anything else to put it in. I already have containers under the couches and under the bed. Wondering if there is anything out there that will hold alot of weight, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
thanks

Jim's Gem 08-03-2009 02:55 PM

Most of my fabrics are in built in cabinets in my sewing (family) room. The rest is in 64 qt size clear rubbermaid buckets in the garage. I have about 12 out there, organized by color, or flannels, or back size pieces.

What size aquarium did you get? Freshwater or salt.
I have a 100 gal freshwater in my living room. I love my aquarium and fishes. I'd love to get another but dh says "no".

Ninnie 08-03-2009 03:38 PM

I keep mine in huge chests, have about 8 of them.

BellaBoo 08-03-2009 04:09 PM

I have my yardage folded on bookshelves. I have fat quarters in baskets and also in an over the door shoe holder. It's clear plastic and holds dozens of fat quarters in each section. I can see at a glance what I have. I paid about $8 for it at Walmart.

oksewglad 08-03-2009 05:07 PM

The shoe bag's a great idea--Thanks. My FQs are folded (ha!) in a couple of old wooden peach crates set on edge. Looks nice for a while and then I start digging and it's a mess.

shaverg 08-03-2009 06:10 PM

Most of it is on my shelves my husband built in the closet and fat quarter or smaller in plastic bends by color.

tlrnhi 08-03-2009 07:07 PM

I have 2 dressers and an armoir that holds my fabric.
I went and bought this little cabinet thing, but it doesn't hold much.
Try looking at thrift stores for dressers/cabinets. Most of them are cheap and most are pretty sturdy.
The last one I bought at a thrift store was $30 and is pure wood, no press board anywhere in it.

kluedesigns 08-03-2009 07:25 PM

i keep mine in the walk in closet in my sewing room. DH lined all 3 walls from floor to ceiling with shelves.

imjustme 08-03-2009 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Most of my fabrics are in built in cabinets in my sewing (family) room. The rest is in 64 qt size clear rubbermaid buckets in the garage. I have about 12 out there, organized by color, or flannels, or back size pieces.

What size aquarium did you get? Freshwater or salt.
I have a 100 gal freshwater in my living room. I love my aquarium and fishes. I'd love to get another but dh says "no".

We got another freshwater tank to help consolidate LOL.Now after this one this is what we have
125 Gallon, 75 Gallon, 55 Gallon planted, 55 Gallon, 15 Gallon planted, 10 Gallon, 10 Gallon, and 2 Betta Bowls
African Cichlids (lots of different ones-and I can name them lol), Pleco's, Channel Catfish, Cherry Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp, Killifish, Guppies, Green Glow Fish, Corey's, Tropheus Kaiser, Convicts, Jack Dempsey's, and puffers.
Now I have 4 empty tanks sitting on my porch- We need to sell them before we find something else to put in them.

tlrnhi 08-03-2009 09:06 PM

That's ALOT of tanks and fish!
I used to have a small tank....10 gallon and put some pretties in there, but with moving all the time, was hard. Had to find new homes for the critters. Can't wait until I get MY OWN house so I can have a tank again.