Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think scrappy means? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-scrappy-means-t114754.html)

QuiltSage 04-09-2011 07:47 AM

I admit I am a scrappy purist.

My quilting small group once decided to make a scrappy quilt for charity. We purchased a couple of neutrals to pull the blocks together. We all brought our stashes and the ladies spent hours sorting through the fabrics and picking out just the right fabrics and colors. Most of their stashes were untouched fat quarters. Mine was a heap of scraps. After the blocks were made they spent hours placing the blocks into rows, trying to make it look just right. When it was all done the quilt was lovely. But I told them it wasn't scrappy, and "they wouldn't know scrappy if it bit them on the knee." They laughed, but I could tell they had no idea what I was talking about.

As far as scrappy goes, I think scrappy should be made from scraps and left overs from other projects, and totally random. Not new fabrics and fat quarters, purchased for that purpose, and laid out on a design wall. I think it's great to make a quilt that way, just don't try to pass it off as scrappy.

See my avatar. Now that is scrappy!!! What do you think scrappy means?

QuiltnCowgirl 04-09-2011 07:56 AM

Scrappy to me is exactly like your avatar. If I want neat, coordinated fabrics, I won't be doing scrappy. Only thing "neat & coordinated" in a scrappy might be the sashing or borders that bring it all together. If you even use sashing or borders that is.

p.s. - Love the quilt in your avatar!

HummerGardenCrafts 04-09-2011 08:02 AM

I think scrappy is just that scaps! No fat quarters or large pieces. Throw the scaps in a container, reach in and grab one. It's suppose to be anything and everything. No color combination. Just whatever you grab is what you use.

It would be neat for everyone to bring a plastic tote or box full of scaps. Set the machines up, then keep passing the containers around and just reach in pick up a fabric and sew it on. That's scrappy to me.

mommamac 04-09-2011 08:05 AM

dictionary definition - made from scraps

hope they didn't think you were scrappy - 'in an argumentative mood' lol

sewcrafty 04-09-2011 08:09 AM

Your avatar is the real thing! OK, need to fess up here! I love scrappy's but haven't done one yet. :-( I'm very matchy matchy and have a hard time with just pull and go. it actually makes me nervous. I'm collecting 1.5 HST's and squares to do one though. So buy the time I get the 5-6,000 squares I need, hopefully I'll have the courage! :lol: I think I've actually found the pattern which is a HUGE step in that direction. ;)

QuiltSage 04-09-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac

They probably think I'm "scrappy" but they let me in anyway. I always bring the wine. (That's why they laughed. By that point they were laughing at everything.)

BellaBoo 04-09-2011 08:15 AM

Scrappy to me mean lots of different fabrics used. It doesn't matter if the fabrics are new or leftover scraps.

Stitchnripper 04-09-2011 08:17 AM

I love the scrappy look, and have made a few from just scraps, but, the one in my avatar I consider "scrappy" (maybe should call it "scrappy-ish") because someone gave me a bunch of fat quarters and I made half square triangles all random and put it together again all random. It has a scrappy feel I think. What do y'all think?

QuiltSage 04-09-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Your avatar is the real thing! OK, need to fess up here! I love scrappy's but haven't done one yet. :-( I'm very matchy matchy and have a hard time with just pull and go. it actually makes me nervous. I'm collecting 1.5 HST's and squares to do one though. So buy the time I get the 5-6,000 squares I need, hopefully I'll have the courage! :lol: I think I've actually found the pattern which is a HUGE step in that direction. ;)

The sashing for my avatar is quarter square triangles. I cut my scraps into 6" squares and randomly made 1/4 square triangles. The finished QSTs were 4 1/2". I sewed them into long rows to make the 4" wide sashing.

TonnieLoree 04-09-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltSage

Originally Posted by mommamac

They probably think I'm "scrappy" but they let me in anyway. I always bring the wine. (That's why they laughed. By that point they were laughing at everything.)

I want to join your group!