Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think scrappy means?

I admit I am a scrappy purist.

My quilting small group once decided to make a scrappy quilt for charity. We purchased a couple of neutrals to pull the blocks together. We all brought our stashes and the ladies spent hours sorting through the fabrics and picking out just the right fabrics and colors. Most of their stashes were untouched fat quarters. Mine was a heap of scraps. After the blocks were made they spent hours placing the blocks into rows, trying to make it look just right. When it was all done the quilt was lovely. But I told them it wasn't scrappy, and "they wouldn't know scrappy if it bit them on the knee." They laughed, but I could tell they had no idea what I was talking about.

As far as scrappy goes, I think scrappy should be made from scraps and left overs from other projects, and totally random. Not new fabrics and fat quarters, purchased for that purpose, and laid out on a design wall. I think it's great to make a quilt that way, just don't try to pass it off as scrappy.

See my avatar. Now that is scrappy!!! What do you think scrappy means?

Blog Entries
    Scrappy to me is exactly like your avatar. If I want neat, coordinated fabrics, I won't be doing scrappy. Only thing "neat & coordinated" in a scrappy might be the sashing or borders that bring it all together. If you even use sashing or borders that is.

p.s. - Love the quilt in your avatar!

Super Member HummerGardenCrafts's Avatar
    I think scrappy is just that scaps! No fat quarters or large pieces. Throw the scaps in a container, reach in and grab one. It's suppose to be anything and everything. No color combination. Just whatever you grab is what you use.

It would be neat for everyone to bring a plastic tote or box full of scaps. Set the machines up, then keep passing the containers around and just reach in pick up a fabric and sew it on. That's scrappy to me.

dictionary definition - made from scraps

hope they didn't think you were scrappy - 'in an argumentative mood' lol

Your avatar is the real thing! OK, need to fess up here! I love scrappy's but haven't done one yet. :-( I'm very matchy matchy and have a hard time with just pull and go. it actually makes me nervous. I'm collecting 1.5 HST's and squares to do one though. So buy the time I get the 5-6,000 squares I need, hopefully I'll have the courage! :lol: I think I've actually found the pattern which is a HUGE step in that direction. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by mommamac

They probably think I'm "scrappy" but they let me in anyway. I always bring the wine. (That's why they laughed. By that point they were laughing at everything.)

Blog Entries
    Scrappy to me mean lots of different fabrics used. It doesn't matter if the fabrics are new or leftover scraps.

I love the scrappy look, and have made a few from just scraps, but, the one in my avatar I consider "scrappy" (maybe should call it "scrappy-ish") because someone gave me a bunch of fat quarters and I made half square triangles all random and put it together again all random. It has a scrappy feel I think. What do y'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Your avatar is the real thing! OK, need to fess up here! I love scrappy's but haven't done one yet. :-( I'm very matchy matchy and have a hard time with just pull and go. it actually makes me nervous. I'm collecting 1.5 HST's and squares to do one though. So buy the time I get the 5-6,000 squares I need, hopefully I'll have the courage! :lol: I think I've actually found the pattern which is a HUGE step in that direction. ;)
    The sashing for my avatar is quarter square triangles. I cut my scraps into 6" squares and randomly made 1/4 square triangles. The finished QSTs were 4 1/2". I sewed them into long rows to make the 4" wide sashing.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltSage
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac

They probably think I'm "scrappy" but they let me in anyway. I always bring the wine. (That's why they laughed. By that point they were laughing at everything.)
    I want to join your group!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    I love the scrappy look, and have made a few from just scraps, but, the one in my avatar I consider "scrappy" (maybe should call it "scrappy-ish") because someone gave me a bunch of fat quarters and I made half square triangles all random and put it together again all random. It has a scrappy feel I think. What do y'all think?
    That's it! We just need a new term. scrappy-ish. scrappy-esque. Faux scrappy. planned scrappy. scrappy-like. kinda scrappy. scrappy feel. scrappy inspired. In a scrappy way. With a scrappy intention. half scrappy. one-color scrappy...

By the way, your avatar is beautiful. Isn't that all that matters?

i like to label "scrap" quilts into two categories - a "scrappy" quilt is made with organized selection of a variety of intentional fabrics. a true "scrap" quilt is made with actual scraps. then there is the "leftover" quilt, which some take leftover fabrics and squares and make it into another quilt and call it scraps. i do not consider that a scrap quilt, i call that "leftovers" quilt.

Blog Entries
    scrappy is left over fabric you are not using or fabric you can't use i have put some fat piecing in that i can't use in other quilts also i use edges off of panels fabric my avatar is a scrappy

I love scrap quilts. I wish I had the courage to do one with all colored squares.

I guess mine was a half scrappy. because the only time I ever did a one, I spent three days cutting 2" squares of all my scraps and what seemed like the same amount of time cutting a million and one cream colored squares. Then I had a basket of each and sewed them alternately in long strips, then sewed the strips together, it came out looking great, I really loved it. The cream colored fabric just pulled it all together and it didn't matter which color or shade of scrap I was using because the muslin was there in between them. I'd like to do another one just like it for a lap blanket.

The material I used for the cream colored squares unraveled really bad so I couldn't use the quilt for long. But I had it hanging in my sewing room for quite a while because it was so colorful(lots of reds.

I know a little more about fabrics now. And I plan to make another one like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    This is the kind of scrappy quilt I tend to make, I call it controlled scrappy. I may use "scraps" and pieces of new fabric.
    I rarely use just one background fabric, I may use 15, so it does give it a scrappy look, but I would choose fabrics in a certain color group, so not literally scrappy.

I make only scrappy quilts. Years ago, I fell in love with scrappy quilts like the ones my grandmother made. She was a purist as you would say--using only scraps.

I use my scraps but run out of them. I have cut up old cotton shirts and skirts. I also shop for new fabric. I cut from my stash as needed. I don't have a large space to sew nor do I have a large stash. Most of my stash is 1/2 yard or less fabric pieces.

i agree that scrappy is made from many different fabrics and their placement is random.

i do believe quilt makers can go and buy fabric to make these kinds of quilts though.

if their artistic voice is to make scrappy quilts i don't believe they should have to buy fabric to make others projects in order to gather the necessary scraps to finally make the scrappy quilt that they really want.

scrappy artists buy FQs because until recently that was the smallest piece they could buy - now with all the precuts on the markets its much easier for them to buy what they need.

why should someone's artistic voice not be heard because they haven't acquired enough scraps yet - let them buy fabric and make what they want.

an "original" scrappy is made from scraps leftover from other projects...

altho i think "scrappies" can be made...i am gonna make one for my 1 year old cousin...

i just started quilting and therefore dont have a pile of scraps from other things i have quilted...so i just went and bought a bunch of fat quarters that were "boyish" colors...im just gonna cut a bunch of squares and put them together however they want to be butted up next to one another...

i chose this on purpose because it will be a quick thing to put together...and since i have problems getting my seams to line up properly hopefully my misalignment will disappear lol

I love scrappy anyway you describe it! Perhaps it is the randomness of it all that appeals to me. They just look comforting.

I suppose it would be how you define a scrap?! To me a scrap is anything not large enough to be used in a project. It not a scrap for me until the width is less than 1- 1/2 inch...
    I have accumulated scraps and been just short of the total amount needed and supplimented with a fat 1/4 or two.
    Now some quilters would call anything less than 1/2 yard a scrap or scrap quilt worthy!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltSage
    That's it! We just need a new term. scrappy-ish. scrappy-esque. Faux scrappy. planned scrappy. scrappy-like. kinda scrappy. scrappy feel. scrappy inspired. In a scrappy way. With a scrappy intention. half scrappy. one-color scrappy...
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm with you on making a scrappy quilt. Throw 'em together and see what happens. However, if I see a quilt with lots of different fabrics, I will acknowledge that it's a scrappy quilt. I won't know whether the maker agonized over the placement of the pieces or not, or whether the fabrics were really scraps or cut from 7-yard pieces of fabric. Even if the quilt is all from one color family - say reds - I will call it scrappy if there are lots of different fabrics in it.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Scrappy to me mean lots of different fabrics used. It doesn't matter if the fabrics are new or leftover scraps.
    This is what i was going to say.

Scrappy has mutated over times.

In years gone by, scrappy was just that.

Now it's anything with lots of different fabrics. Often randomly placed/used ... but not necessarily so.

Look at all the patterns/books that are out there for "scrappy" quilts! They quote yardage, and then you cut it up to make the scrap pieces. Also, all the scrappy quilts, bags etc, made with Charm Packs, Jelly Roll, Layer Cakes, Dessert Rolls, Honey Buns.

The times they have a-changed!! :)
    d

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Scrappy has mutated over times.

In years gone by, scrappy was just that.

Now it's anything with lots of different fabrics. Often randomly placed/used ... but not necessarily so.

Look at all the patterns/books that are out there for "scrappy" quilts! They quote yardage, and then you cut it up to make the scrap pieces. Also, all the scrappy quilts, bags etc, made with Charm Packs, Jelly Roll, Layer Cakes, Dessert Rolls, Honey Buns.

The times they have a-changed!! :)
    d
    Yes, times have changed. Now we count leftovers from another quilting project as scraps, but in the "old" days it was more likely to be scraps from used-up clothing. Still, I can't bring myself to call something scrappy when all the fabric came from one line made by one designer. To me that's the ultimate in matchy-matchy.

I think that some have differentiated by calling them controlled scrappy or just random scrappy. Even the OP's avatar looks like controlled scrappy as she has lights and darks and and offwhites, etc all which combine to make a pattern.

I've really been enjoying all the scrappy quilts, comments, etc. as I've vowed to get control of my scraps (which are mostly leftovers from the cutting off backings of charity quilts, or pieces leftover after cutting out other things), or pieces given to me which are in random shapes, sizes, etc. I've even cut up panels that I don't like into 1.5" strips to use them up because they were 100% cotton and perfectly good--just nothing I liked.

Worked on one today that uses 1.5" strips and want to use the red around the 5.5" squares--a more or less copy of an idea someone else posted here with in the last week or so. The red will create the squares in the midst of non-matchy fabrics.:) It's turning out quite neat. When I finish up all the current scrappy quilts I'm doing, I'll post.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast