Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think scrappy means? >

What do you think scrappy means?

What do you think scrappy means?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Power Poster

There "scrappy" and then there's "happy scrappy"!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:36 AM

I have already replied what a scrappy is to me, but I would like to add that I also believe that if you are the one making the quilt, then you get to call the shots and say what scrappy is for your quilt. I don't think there is any one right or wrong answer to this question and we are all right as far as what scrappy is for us. Isn't quilting great that way???? Hugssssss and smilessss all!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Charley
I am going to try to attach a picture of my scrap crazy quilt (WPI) I started with a box of scraps from a friend who did a lot of craft work and saved the scraps. I mean real scraps. Then I took a lot of my small bits of material and cut out squares from 2 1/2 to 6 1/2 and the left overs are in this quilt. I am not good at matching colors and with this there is no need.
AWESOME! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 04-12-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jammin' Jane

Ok what's the difference?

:lol:
Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 AM

My grandmothers made quilts from scraps taken from clothing that was worn out but still had usable fabric on it. I have a wool quilt my mom's mother made out of my grandfather's wool pants and shirts he wore to work (he was a lumberjack). It's as old as the hills, but the warmest quilt I own.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 AM

To me scrappy is the use of different fabrics that you have in small quantities. In other words, it is not coordinated yardage.

However, scrappy does not necessarily have to be 'leftovers' from other projects. The colors can be coordinated or not. That choice is up to the maker. If you insist on having all different colors in a scrappy quilt then that's up to the maker. But if that's the case, then there are quilts that could not be made for several years. There are several quilt patterns that traditionally are made in one color scheme (i.e. Ocean Waves aka Village Green are traditionally made either blue & white/muslin [signifying the blue of the ocean] or green and white/muslin [signifying the color of grass]. Granted you could make them out of various colors but the maker may want the color scheme look.

Being made strictly from leftovers is the traditional view. The word scrappy coming from the word scrap. If you really want to be a purist, then those scraps must be leftover from clothing construction or old clothing because that's where the scraps originally came from. Not from other quilt projects.

In today's society, there's also the situation where someone doesn't have the room or the finances to buy yardage (especially at today's prices) and then don't have leftover scraps to use. So they chose to buy fat quarters instead. There's nothing wrong with that. The quilts made from the pieces from those fat quarters are not any less scrappy than those made from leftovers.

That's the best thing about quilting as an art form. One scrappy method is not any better than the other scrappy method.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltSage
Originally Posted by QuiltE
QuiltSage .... would you please post a pic of your "scrappy" avatar quilt! :)

I wish we could click on the avatars to get a better view!

Thanks!!! :)
Check out this link

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114813-1.htm#2991600
Now that is what you call a scrappy quilt. I love how you sewed all those little triangles together. I have heaps of cut off triangles from making flying geese blocks which I am saving to make a real scrappy quilt like that. Thanks for showing it to us.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by clsurz
Originally Posted by Jammin' Jane

Ok what's the difference?

:lol:
me, i am happy scrappy!!!