Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think scrappy means? >

What do you think scrappy means?

What do you think scrappy means?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:23 PM

I think that scrappy means many different colors and or patterns of fabric. I once heard that to be a "scrap" quilt, there needs to be at least 75 different fabrics in it. Hence less than 75 would be scrappy.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM

I absolutely LOVE scrappy quilts. Check out Bonnie Hunter's website at Quiltville.com. She's the queen of scrappy and I've made several of her patterns. NO affiliation, just a happy scrapper. And, YES, I mean scraps left over from previous projects....not new stuff. She says our scraps are worth $9 - $10 a yard just like the original yardage only in smaller pieces. I love it!

Josi in Sebring FL
Old 04-10-2011, 07:36 PM

I msde a lot of pink and green items for craft sales and had lots of scraps left. I then made scrap quilts out of the leftovers and they do not necessarily look like a conventional scrap quilt. If you had seen what I had left to work with you would agree that they were truly scrap quilts.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Seems we each have our own interpretation of "scrappy". When I make what I call scrappy, it's that I don't use the same fabric more than once. Dumb, eh?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Scrappy isn't easy for some people!! I had a VERY difficult time sewing my son Roberts quilt. I kept thinking I just had to make sure the colors were placed just right ,etc. I was going CRAZY !! doing this EASY ! quilt !
Until I decided to 'just sew it' I picked up a block behind my back & unless I had 2 'reds' together, I sewd it, and everyone said it came out great. BUT, It will be a cold day in Pine Grove, before I sew a scrappy quilt again. It was wayyy to difficult for me. Anyone else have this dilemma?

Roberts Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182535[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-182529.jpe  
Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 PM

I think of scrap quilts as being made of lots of different colors that might not otherwise go together. it doesn't matter where you get the material. I usually have to control to some extent how I put things together tho. Mostly I pay more attention to light values. I made one from a pattern called scrappy stars, If you didn't pay attention to the layout of darks and lights, you wouldn't see the star pattern. and believe me I used a to n of different materials. It turned our lovely. My avitar is a scrap quilt. just put together with white strips.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

Scrappy can be many things. I take scraps but I do organize them in some way. It might not be apparent to anyone else but it makes sense to me. So I might pick a color theme, all thirthies, all brights or just a one background fabric. Part of that planning is what is the fun to me. I like to stick everything in a quilt batiks, Hawaiian, reproduction 30-ies, reproduction Civil War, contemporary, prints, novelty. I guess by your standards I might not be a scrap purist since I buy just FQ to be used in a scrappy quilt. I really never buy yardage to amke a quilt with just three or four colors. Even the quilt in my avatar has many different oranges, whites and green eventhough it looks like a three tone quilt.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 PM

I agree with you. In older times, quilts were made of whatever was available. Now even the older patterns are jazzewd up so much they have no resemblance to the originals.....
Originally Posted by QuiltSage
I admit I am a scrappy purist.

My quilting small group once decided to make a scrappy quilt for charity. We purchased a couple of neutrals to pull the blocks together. We all brought our stashes and the ladies spent hours sorting through the fabrics and picking out just the right fabrics and colors. Most of their stashes were untouched fat quarters. Mine was a heap of scraps. After the blocks were made they spent hours placing the blocks into rows, trying to make it look just right. When it was all done the quilt was lovely. But I told them it wasn't scrappy, and "they wouldn't know scrappy if it bit them on the knee." They laughed, but I could tell they had no idea what I was talking about.

As far as scrappy goes, I think scrappy should be made from scraps and left overs from other projects, and totally random. Not new fabrics and fat quarters, purchased for that purpose, and laid out on a design wall. I think it's great to make a quilt that way, just don't try to pass it off as scrappy.

See my avatar. Now that is scrappy!!! What do you think scrappy means?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:03 PM

You did a wonderful job! The quilt is beautiful and the colors are so refreshing. I love it!

Originally Posted by Ellageo
Scrappy isn't easy for some people!! I had a VERY difficult time sewing my son Roberts quilt. I kept thinking I just had to make sure the colors were placed just right ,etc. I was going CRAZY !! doing this EASY ! quilt !
Until I decided to 'just sew it' I picked up a block behind my back & unless I had 2 'reds' together, I sewd it, and everyone said it came out great. BUT, It will be a cold day in Pine Grove, before I sew a scrappy quilt again. It was wayyy to difficult for me. Anyone else have this dilemma?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 PM

I personally d on't think so. Some of my best sellers have been when nothing matches...Don't be nervous. Just jump in with both feet and hands and start sewing. Bet you will be pleasantly surprised! Since this is your first scrappy, you may want to START on something much small... such as a baby blanket or a throw... even a wall topper..... Good luck
Originally Posted by quilterpam
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Your avatar is the real thing! OK, need to fess up here! I love scrappy's but haven't done one yet. :-( I'm very matchy matchy and have a hard time with just pull and go. it actually makes me nervous. I'm collecting 1.5 HST's and squares to do one though. So buy the time I get the 5-6,000 squares I need, hopefully I'll have the courage! :lol: I think I've actually found the pattern which is a HUGE step in that direction. ;)
Do you have to have a pattern with a scrappy quilt? I REALLY WANT to know. What makes a pattern good for a scrappy quilt?

:?: :?: