Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Cutters- ARE they all created Equal??

Blog Entries
    I need a new rotary cutter. I've been using one I purchased at Walmart and it just doesn't cut very good. I'm constantly having to go back and cut threads. Which one do you like best and why?

May not be the cutter, try changing the blade.

I like Fiskars. I have arthritis and it is the easiest to grip.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I have Olfa ones (28mm, 45mm, 60mm) I like them fine. Mine are the squeeze handle ones where the blade retracts when your not squeezing them..

I also have/had a fiskers paper cutting one that I didnt like, its too flimsy for me. wobbled too much for me.. and was too hard to squeeze.. Thought id try it since it was on sale..

im in search of a better one also...

i have a fiskars 45mm...bought it because they are known for their excellent sharp scissors...

cut a few strips/squares...had to sharpen it already and i notice i have to bear down on it even right after i sharpen it and it still leaves a thread or 2 attached

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I have Olfa ones (28mm, 45mm, 60mm) I like them fine. Mine are the squeeze handle ones where the blade retracts when your not squeezing the.
    I also have all sizes and wouldn't trade them for any others on the market.

I've got several Olfa's. Like others said, have you changed the blade recently?

Love my Olfa cutters.

mltquilt

New blade after every other quilt, is what I've been told. Granted, I keep using the same blade until I put a nick in it, but that's me. (I don't always follow the rules ;) )

Olfa for cottins and Fiskars for fleece.

I love my Olfa cutter as well. However if you're going to purchase them I would tell you to wait until Joann's has their 40 or 50% sale. That way you can get the cutter and some replacement blades for a better price.

Has anyone tried the new rotary blade sharpener?

I have the yellow orbital sharpener and it works fine but there is no help for nicks in the blade. I like the Olfa ergonomic cutters the best. There are quick change cutters, save your money, it isn't that hard to change a blade. Fiskars is not that comfortable for me to use. I have arthritis and degenerative disc issues in my right hand. Prolonged use of anything that requires using my hand/wrist can result in a lot of discomfort. Joann's runs sales on them or use a coupon. I have tried Clover as well, not crazy about their cutter either. I did buy a titanium blade and cutter, forgot the brand name and I did like it, I like using 60mm blades. The bigger the better for me.

I like my Olfa cutters. I have one clover .. that the screw that hold the blade is just in the right place to hit the edge of my omni grid rulers, and it drags creating a ragged cut. Not sure if they have changed , but would not buy a clover 28mm.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
    Has anyone tried the new rotary blade sharpener?
    picture did not come through.. so, was this for real? the blade is so thin..

I buy new blades. unless you live far away or dont' drive.. wow.. never would have thought about this one.

I have Olfa's--all sizes that close automatically when you release the handle except for the tiny one--it is manual; a few dollar bin cheapos that I use for fleece & paper and a Martelli 45mm. I love, love, love the Martelli for long cutting sessions but you have to remember to close the blade shield every time you set it down. Also, it only likes the blades without notches or it will wobble. There is a right & left hand version so make sure you get the correct one for you.

So, no, they are not made equal. You have to find one that is comfortable for you at a price you're willing to pay. For a good all around--easy & cheap to find blades for--I would recommend Olfa. For problems with carpal tunnel or hand strength--I recommend Martelli. For pretty--I recommend Donna Dewberry!

My Olfa cutters are like an extension of my hand. I even forgave them the pea sized fingertip accident since the cut was so clean I had time to get away from the fabric. That taught me not to use an old blade, now I use the extra cutter and old blades for paper and plastic and such. Course I bought them years ago, its one thing you can use a joanns coupong for.

Rotary Cutter are not all equal. I've looked at quite a few brands and listened to a number of quilters. Ergonomics and blade saftey are my primary concerns. The KAI Rotary Cutter came out on top due to the automatic blade shield that covers blade when not in use. When you do purchase a rotary cutter, buy the manufacturer's replacement blades not generic ones. Pay the extra money and you will find that they are sharper and last a lot longer. Make sure that you use a quality cutting mat.

Michael

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    im in search of a better one also...

i have a fiskars 45mm...bought it because they are known for their excellent sharp scissors...

cut a few strips/squares...had to sharpen it already and i notice i have to bear down on it even right after i sharpen it and it still leaves a thread or 2 attached
    If you have lots of cuts and grooves in your mat like maybe at the 2 1/2 or 4 1/2 inch marks where you make cuts really often it will cause it to skip threads too.

I have a fiskars 45". It had gotten a little wobbly on it. I contacted their customer service (fiskars are guarenteed for life). I took a picture of it to show proof I had one, and they sent another one out, brand new with 2 blades. I did not have to send the other back

Power Poster
    A little off topic -

but it is also helpful to:

remember to change the blade when nicked or dull

make sure your ruler(s) are in good condition (they do get "off" after a lot of use)

make sure your cutting surface is still in decent shape - they also do wear out eventually

Quote Originally Posted by miholmes
    I love my Olfa cutter as well. However if you're going to purchase them I would tell you to wait until Joann's has their 40 or 50% sale. That way you can get the cutter and some replacement blades for a better price.
    I was at Joanns yesterday. All their cutters are 50% off right now. No coupon needed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I have Olfa ones (28mm, 45mm, 60mm) I like them fine. Mine are the squeeze handle ones where the blade retracts when your not squeezing the.
    I also have all sizes and wouldn't trade them for any others on the market.
    Me too!

Blog Entries
    I've tried several different ones and I always go back to my Fiskars. I think I have 3 now because if I can't find one, I won't use another brand. I'll go to the store and buy another one. lol

Quote Originally Posted by miholmes
    This week, all quilting tools are 50% off at JoAnn's.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast