Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: All threads are not created equal

When I first started quilting a few months ago, I thought that "thread is thread" and didn't put much thought into selecting the thread brand to use - just go to Wal-Mart and pick up a spool of Coats in the right color. About a month ago, though, I found the Connecting Threads website and orderded several collections of their threads. I have to say that I have seen the light. :) This thread is so much superior than the thread from Wal-Mart in every way, INCLUDING PRICE.

Here's a quick comparison:

Brand: Coats
    Quantity: 300 yds
    Cost: $1.97
    Composition: 37% cotton, 63% polyester

Brand: Connecting Threads
    Quantity: 1,200 yds
    Cost: $1.99 ($1.60 when purchased in a collection of 10 or more)
    Composition: 100% cotton

When looking at the rolls side by side, you can see a lot more fuzz on the Coats spools. I noticed after cleaning the bobbin area of my machine after using the Connecting Threads spool that there seemed to be much less lint to clean out.

So, by my comparison, the CT thread is more quantity, better quality, for less price. I used to not really think about the thread, but after trying the CT thread I've become a true believer - the thread does matter.

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/E-G-L/Thread1.jpg[/IMG]

That is a good observation. Thanks for enlightening us.

I've seen a number of recommendations here for thread from Connecting Threads. It is near the top of my list for next thing to purchase...I am trying to pace my spending. (This hobby makes me want to spend more than I should! :oops: ) Thanks for the additional recommendation of this thread.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Thanks for the information, I have alot of lent problems too so I will switch.

I use connecting threads thread all the time. It is a lot better than Coats, Is a great price/ value: however it lints more than Mettler and maybe more than Guttermann threads. I use mostly the CT threads myself because of the price.

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of the Essentials thread sets. It is so pretty. I use the cone size for piecing. I use a variety of threads. Right now my favorite quilting thread is Glide by Fil Tec. Very economical for big quilts and no lint at all. I love that brown color you picked out!

If you have one of the child's microscopes (the red one every child seems to have) look at the different threads. You can see blurps and knots and thinned areas in the thread. I was surprised at the high price thread that looked awful compared to other brands.

I've got my first spool of cotton thread from Connecting Threads on my machine now -- I love it :!:

Thanks for the heads up, Eddie. I had heard that coats leaves little pieces of thread in your bobbin area and that it isn't the best. Have order CT so your post gave me a boost :)

I am a Connecting Threads thread fan. I think it is a great bargain and I knew nothing about thread differences before I tried it. Great product, I've had wonderful results and my machine loves it. Now someone should write to them about a board discount!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The lady who sold me my machine said to use polyester--not cotton--so I've passed that bargain by, though I look longingly at the pretty colors. I guess she thinks the cotton is too linty all the way around? I don't dare NOT follow her advice. My machine does well with Guttermann.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I've found that if I need to stitch on poly/cotton gingham, I *must* use an all-cotton thread. I found that it has less stretch to it than poly/cotton thread, and I think that's why it doesn't pucker as much.

My son and I split the cost and ordered all of their collections of thread. I had heard good things about it and figured I would try it. Just like you I am sold on it. Great quality thread and at their prices it is a buy.

Bought about 18 spools from CT about 7 months ago.
    la la la...now I'm a believer! :lol:

I bought a nice supply of Connecting Threads when they had their $1.59 sale, last winter. I gave most of my other thread away. I love the Connecting Threads too.

I was told in my quilting class to use 100 % cotton. I am happy with it. I usually buy Gutemann's or another simular. Will check out connecting threads. I will try it.

I agree with Eddie, Coats is not the quality thread that it used to be .....it has slubs in the thread(little bumps) plus being fuzzy. I use guttermann and connecting threads....I like my machines to much to use inferior threads.......

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this, Eddie! I'm also one who thought thread was thread, and always just buy it at Walmart. I'm going to check into CT now! Especially considering the amount/cost! :-)

Blog Entries
    The lady who sold me my machine said to use polyester--not cotton-
    I have never heard of any machine dealer say only use poly! That's very odd for a dealer to state her preference as what you should do. If the machine could only sew with poly then the dealer should have written facts why the manufacturer states only poly could be used. Some poly threads will score tension discs much faster than cotton. Sadly machines today, even the higher end ones, are not made to last. I test sewed on the newest Bernina, in the cabinet made for it and it vibrated horribly. To me constant vibration will mean something will break loose eventually. The dealer said it was mounted perfectly and that was just the way it sewed. It's a grand machine but I'll have to see one after it's been used for five years.

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    The lady who sold me my machine said to use polyester--not cotton--so I've passed that bargain by, though I look longingly at the pretty colors. I guess she thinks the cotton is too linty all the way around? I don't dare NOT follow her advice. My machine does well with Guttermann.
    I just don't get that. It's better to use 100% cotton quilt material but better to use polyester thread?

Eddie, Coats does come in 100% cotton as well, though Wal-mart doesn't seem to sell it. JoAnn's does, though, at least their larger stores do. But I'm sure the Connecting Threads cotton is still better than the Coats. And less expensive, too.

At my quilting class, they recommended Mettler, which of course was the only brand they sold in their store. I'm appalled at the cost of it. I'm too new to quilting to notice any difference between it and Coat. CT sounds like the best value for money, though.

My first class I was told use cotton thread with cotton material, poly with poly, etc., and not to use a blended thread to piece. I chose Gutterman. I've got a few spools of CT I'll have to break out and compare.

Thread and needles are two things I really need to do some more reading/research on to keep it straight in my head.

I've been using Gutterman since it is the only 100% cotton thread that is readily available in my area in a wide range of colors. However, I am a big Connecting Threads fan and have been wanting to try their thread for some time now. I'm happy to hear that everyone is satisfied with it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh! I remembered this ink someone posted here months ago. Eddie--you'll love this!
    http://sewing.about.com/library/week...2100a.htm?nl=1

My machine seller also strongly suggested Mettler... poly of course. I tried it, but my machine likes Guttmann best. She said she wouldn't allow Coats to be used on her machines when they had a class. It's not that she said my machine only will use poly--it was more--poly is best for machines overall because they were so much less linty.

Blog Entries
    I listened to the board and ordered thread from Connecting Threads.
    I cannot believe the difference. It is a bargain, too.
    I will never go back.
    Thanks you all, once again.

I've heard too many nasty stories about how much CT thread lints up machines to ever use it in mine. I'll stick with Yli and GŁttermann. Interestingly enough, my vintage threads do not lint at all so I use those as well.

Blog Entries
    Connecting Threads cone size thread is the best value. I had one spool that seemed to be linty and Connecting Thread sent me a new one and it was much better. I guess a different batch gets mixed in, you have to let them know if you think the thread is too linty, they refund or replace.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast