Are oils created equal?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Are oils created equal?

Hello expert resource folks! I looked through several pages of past threads but couldn't quite find the answer to this. I found TriFlow aerosol at Mills Fleet Farm, (thank you MacyBaby) but not a TriFlow oil. I have 3-In-1 brand light machine oil and Singer sewing machine oil, both new (well probably from the 80's) and old that came with my 1947 Singer. Does machine oil go bad? Are all of these good for cleaning & de-gunking? I'm not up to refinishing with the naptha & linseed oil & all yet. I just want to not wreck my machines by cleaning. Dumb q's but ya gotta start somewhere. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Banned

No such thing as a dumb question once asked.

I have not used the aerosol version (and won't because I only want product not product and carrier AND i want to control where it goes)

3-in-1 is NOT ok for sewing machines because it is too thick and dries with heavy residue

Sewing machine oil can go bad. It does not last long enough in my house to do so, but i have been told any product using organic compounds can "rot"

I use Sewing machine old exclusively for cleaning my machines. My collection is all 1901 and earlier machines and I will NOT use chemicals on them if I can possibly avoid it.

I use Tri-Flow liquid exclusively for lubricating my machines. In MY opinion the long term effects of tri-flow will be superior to the long term effects of oil (Oil dries to varnish - not a lubricant, Tri-Flow dries to teflon- still a lubricant)

I buy my Sewing machine oil on 1 quart bottles. I found out about the bulk size when Heather got her 1946 Singer industrial which actually has an oil pan and pump to constantly oil it as it runs. WAYYYYYY cheaper that way.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:45 PM

Are oils created equal?

Short answer = no.

Long answer = I agree with Steve.
Although I use any sewing machine oil I find old or new for cleaning. I use new SM oil for motors that require oil, and Tri-Flow oil and grease for oiling the machines.
I use Singer Motor Lube in the tube grease for Singer motors.

Joe
Old 12-02-2013, 04:18 PM

Thanks!!! I'm glad I asked before starting. Now I have to find a local supplier. I know I can order online but would prefer to get a local source. So I'll stick with sewing machine oil to start and keep looking for TriFlow oil.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:32 PM

Grey,

Try any bicycle shops in your area. Those in my area stock Tri-Flow oil.

Joe
Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 PM

I used the aerosol Tri Flow on my exercise bike. I'm not sure I want that spray on the sewing machines though.

I found the aerosol at my local ACE hardware. Of course, sew classic sells it too.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:43 AM

I believe I bought mine at Sew Classic. I understand wanting to buy locally and encourage it. Let me know if you find a source in our area.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:52 AM

Grey Q and Liking Quilting; Try a local bicycle shop. They are likely to have Tri Flow.

Hooray for shopping local. I applaud you.

On a related note (to the SM oil question), does anyone have any experience with liquid graphite?
Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Banned

I got tires of buying mine one at a time and so I bought some 2oz bottles on EBay (5 @ 3.99 ea + no shipping or tax, on sale, normally 4.99 ea)
Old 12-04-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by GreyQ View Post
Hello expert resource folks! I looked through several pages of past threads but couldn't quite find the answer to this. I found TriFlow aerosol at Mills Fleet Farm, (thank you MacyBaby) but not a TriFlow oil. I have 3-In-1 brand light machine oil and Singer sewing machine oil, both new (well probably from the 80's) and old that came with my 1947 Singer. Does machine oil go bad? Are all of these good for cleaning & de-gunking? I'm not up to refinishing with the naptha & linseed oil & all yet. I just want to not wreck my machines by cleaning. Dumb q's but ya gotta start somewhere. Thanks!
Please do NOT use that 3-in-1 oil on a sewing machine! It will gunk up the parts over time and the parts will need a kerosene bath. That is a lot of work since you have to take the machine apart and then later put it back together. If your parts are sticky on that machine, suspect previous use of that oil.

Are you talking about the Tri-Flow aerosol in a tall black plastic bottle? I LOVE that stuff! It has saved me so much work on machines. It is very fine and can get into smaller spaces than other forms of oil. Spray it, aiming carefully, and let it sit. Come back later and your problem just may be solved. It has unfrozen a number of machines for me.

Yes, oil can go bad. You can probably use the old Singer oil for cleaning the outside - test first. Throw out that 3-in-1 oil. I would just assume it's bad, and plus, you don't want it around sewing machines. Don't even think of using WD40.