View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 12:47 PM
cricket_iscute

Originally Posted by GreyQ View Post
Hello expert resource folks! I looked through several pages of past threads but couldn't quite find the answer to this. I found TriFlow aerosol at Mills Fleet Farm, (thank you MacyBaby) but not a TriFlow oil. I have 3-In-1 brand light machine oil and Singer sewing machine oil, both new (well probably from the 80's) and old that came with my 1947 Singer. Does machine oil go bad? Are all of these good for cleaning & de-gunking? I'm not up to refinishing with the naptha & linseed oil & all yet. I just want to not wreck my machines by cleaning. Dumb q's but ya gotta start somewhere. Thanks!
Please do NOT use that 3-in-1 oil on a sewing machine! It will gunk up the parts over time and the parts will need a kerosene bath. That is a lot of work since you have to take the machine apart and then later put it back together. If your parts are sticky on that machine, suspect previous use of that oil.

Are you talking about the Tri-Flow aerosol in a tall black plastic bottle? I LOVE that stuff! It has saved me so much work on machines. It is very fine and can get into smaller spaces than other forms of oil. Spray it, aiming carefully, and let it sit. Come back later and your problem just may be solved. It has unfrozen a number of machines for me.

Yes, oil can go bad. You can probably use the old Singer oil for cleaning the outside - test first. Throw out that 3-in-1 oil. I would just assume it's bad, and plus, you don't want it around sewing machines. Don't even think of using WD40.