Are oils created equal?

Old 12-04-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Grey Q and Liking Quilting; Try a local bicycle shop. They are likely to have Tri Flow.

Hooray for shopping local. I applaud you.

On a related note (to the SM oil question), does anyone have any experience with liquid graphite?
yes. Bike store is where I got my triflow. It's not really expensive. Maybe like $3.99.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:03 PM

At first, I only had Singer sewing machine oil on hand so that's what I've always used for oiling & cleaning. Until I was introduced to this board, I didn't even know there was anything besides Singer machine oil. Then I started looking for TriFlow and got waylaid by a store clerk who said she used 3-In-1 on her sewing machine all the time. I saw on some post that TriFlow grease was needed for certain parts but Sew Classic is out of stock so I've been trying to find it locally. So before I switched to anything besides sewing machine oil, I wanted to double check with the experts. I have one more place to check but will likely order it online. Now that I'm reassured that I can do a lot with the sewing machine oil, I won't procrastinate any more and I'll get started on my 1947 Singer which just needs some light cleaning & oiling. I appreciate all the great information.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by GreyQ View Post
At first, I only had Singer sewing machine oil on hand so that's what I've always used for oiling & cleaning. Until I was introduced to this board, I didn't even know there was anything besides Singer machine oil. Then I started looking for TriFlow and got waylaid by a store clerk who said she used 3-In-1 on her sewing machine all the time. I saw on some post that TriFlow grease was needed for certain parts but Sew Classic is out of stock so I've been trying to find it locally. So before I switched to anything besides sewing machine oil, I wanted to double check with the experts. I have one more place to check but will likely order it online. Now that I'm reassured that I can do a lot with the sewing machine oil, I won't procrastinate any more and I'll get started on my 1947 Singer which just needs some light cleaning & oiling. I appreciate all the great information.
check your local bike store. that's where i got my triflow teflon oil. (performance bike store).
Old 12-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GreyQ View Post
.....store clerk who said she used 3-In-1 on her sewing machine all the time.
Please do not use 3in1 on Sewing machines. People who "use it regularly" most likely have never had to clean one that sat for a year or more...
Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 PM

I found Tri-flow at my locally family owned hardware store and they happily ordered 5 bottles for me. Did ask why 5 bottles and I explained that I used it on old sewing machines and they charged less than the bike shop about 25 miles away.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I was cleaning out a cabinet and came across a can of Norton Sharpening Stone Oil. Safe for kitchen use - but the back says good for lubricating lots of things, power tools, other things and does say sewing machines. It is clear and slippery with almost no odor. I don't need it for my sewing machines but wonder if anyone knows about it?
Old 12-21-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
yes. Bike store is where I got my triflow. It's not really expensive. Maybe like $3.99.
Most of the bike shops here carry Finish Line instead of TriFLow. And they charge a fortune for both ($9 - 10 for a 2oz bottle)

They swore that the FL is the same and the TF, but I don't know for sure that it is, so don't let someone talk you into the "other". At this point, just use what we know is safe.

Where I get mine locally is Mountain Equipment Co-Op. I think the US equivalent is REI? At MEC, it's $3.75 a bottle for the 2oz bottles, and $8.50 for the 6oz bottle. I don't love the 6oz bottle though. It comes out too fast. I will run out a 2oz bottle and use the 6oz to refill it from now on.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I was cleaning out a cabinet and came across a can of Norton Sharpening Stone Oil. Safe for kitchen use - but the back says good for lubricating lots of things, power tools, other things and does say sewing machines. It is clear and slippery with almost no odor. I don't need it for my sewing machines but wonder if anyone knows about it?
I've seen people use the oil for hair clippers on sewing machines too. Even 3in1 oil used to (still does?) say that it was good for sewing machines. I personally would steer away. Sewing machine oil and TriFlow are cheap - pennies per machine. I would let someone else try it out and have to chisel it if it's no good. I guess I've grown risk adverse in my older age.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Remember that a lot of these products were still being sold in the day when "truth in advertising" was more myth than fact. Most products were advertised as "the greatest" and "useful for everything" "guaranteed not to rust, bust, or collect dust" as it were...

Stick with the TriFlow. On EBay I got 5 bottles of TF for $19.95 + free shipping
Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Yes I have plenty of TriFlow and know where to get it. The Nortons stuff isn't old. I just forgot about it. I was just curious.