Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think scrappy means? >

What do you think scrappy means?

What do you think scrappy means?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM

I think we are spending too much time thinking what scrappy is or isn't instead of quilting! :lol: :lol: :lol: By the way, I love scrappy - controlled or otherwise. :thumbup:
Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 AM

I was borned with the "match gene"!So I'm handicapped.--I settle for "organized scrappy" I know I can't just put it all in a basket & sew the next drawn piece--ain't happening! That said,I do know REAL SCRAPPY WORKS & if you pull it together w/ sashing or border.......
Old 04-11-2011, 05:38 AM

I love scrappy quilts. The favorite one that I did involved two piles of fabric scraps 3 feet high, one light and one dark, It was a paper pieced pineapple log cabin and it mysteriously vanished from my house to turn up in my son's apartment! It also had a happy effect on my choice of colors: I'm not nearly as timid as I used to be thanks to that particular project. Keep on scrapping!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by BobbiSue
I personally d on't think so. Some of my best sellers have been when nothing matches...Don't be nervous. Just jump in with both feet and hands and start sewing. Bet you will be pleasantly surprised! Since this is your first scrappy, you may want to START on something much small... such as a baby blanket or a throw... even a wall topper..... Good luck
Originally Posted by quilterpam
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Your avatar is the real thing! OK, need to fess up here! I love scrappy's but haven't done one yet. :-( I'm very matchy matchy and have a hard time with just pull and go. it actually makes me nervous. I'm collecting 1.5 HST's and squares to do one though. So buy the time I get the 5-6,000 squares I need, hopefully I'll have the courage! :lol: I think I've actually found the pattern which is a HUGE step in that direction. ;)
Do you have to have a pattern with a scrappy quilt? I REALLY WANT to know. What makes a pattern good for a scrappy quilt?

:?: :?:
I think you have to have some idea about a pattern. It may be one you make up or it may be one you get from getting a pattern or just one you see on the board. A good one is "Scrappy Stars" It.s in one of my quilt mags. but I can't say off the top of my head. If you cant get it on line, when I get back from taking DH to the doctor, I'll look to see which it's in.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Completely agree! Scrappy,means scrappy!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:31 AM

I guess I have a different personal definition of scrappy. When I say scrappy, I mean a quilt composed of many different fabrics. Scrappy is a general appearance. It may or may not be unified with a controlled background or focal fabric.

When I say scrap quilt, I am referring to a quilt made entirely from scraps except for perhaps a background fabric or sashing/borders. Scrap refers to the actual material used.

But I realize this is probably a personal idiosyncrasy.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 AM

I do not make a quilt unless I can play with color but I will certainly buy a neutral to make it work. I have made only one quilt where the fabrics were limited to 5 and it drove me crazy.So I do buy batiks that I like with no purpose to them And florals from backing and just decide wether it is going to be a floral or a batik quilt.I use always hundereds of fabriks in each quilt.I do admit to en joying jewel tone colors and stay away from the brown family so every thing works well If this is not scrappy I do not know what is.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:25 AM

You are my idea of what a scrappy quilt means. We either used it up, Made it over ,or done without. I never had store bought material untill I was in my late teens. Our family always enjoyed reading our quilt. This meant when it was spread out on the bed or even the floor we picked out Grannys apron, Moms dress, maybe dads shirt, and we liked to see who found something from what they had worn and be first to find it. Guess times have changed a lot. Sad.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 AM

I think its beautiful.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
In effect your scrappy quilt is probably kind of "planned" just by virtue of the nature of your stash/scraps.
And for what it's worth...I love planned scrappy but not completely wanton scrappy.
Yes I agree. My quilt friends save all their little pieces for me. This widens my color palette as I tend to blues, golds, reds in either country intensities or very pastel. The brights come from my friends!