Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you use to stiffen the bottom of a tote/purse? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-stiffen-bottom-tote-purse-t174888.html)

gramma nancy 01-08-2012 09:20 AM

What do you use to stiffen the bottom of a tote/purse?

I am about to make a tote bag for my DD and a purse for an upcoming trip for myself. My question is -- what does everyone use to create a flat, nonbending bottom on their bags? I don't want to put all the work into piecing a nice bag and have it droop.

In the past I have used plastic needlepoint canvas. I've always liked it because you can cut it very precisely to any size, but it is not quite as stiff as I would like. Any ideas?

Many thanks to anyone who cares to share.

sharon b 01-08-2012 09:22 AM

What about doubling the plastic canvas ?

QuiltnNan 01-08-2012 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I sewed two pieces together with the top one being larger to make a D. This works great.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]301377[/ATTACH]

icon17 01-08-2012 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy (Post 4854582)
I am about to make a tote bag for my DD and a purse for an upcoming trip for myself. My question is -- what does everyone use to create a flat, nonbending bottom on their bags? I don't want to put all the work into piecing a nice bag and have it droop.

In the past I have used plastic needlepoint canvas. I've always liked it because you can cut it very precisely to any size, but it is not quite as stiff as I would like. Any ideas?

Many thanks to anyone who cares to share.

I made My Dog Lilys Bag and wanted it Stiff too! I used some Plastic Binders I found at Goodwill, Not the ones with cardboard inside them But the ones Made of Solid Translusent plastic. :) PS: to Cut it I used a Xsacto knife

ksdot417 01-08-2012 09:54 AM

I make a fabric sleeve and insert a piece of foam core board and then sew it shut. It fits great in the corners and can be removed if you need to wash it. I've also used the plastic canvas.

sahm4605 01-08-2012 10:12 AM

I like nans suggestion. you can also use a piece of plastic. like a ruler maybe. I would do like ksdot says and make a sleeve for it that you can take it out of. the bag so it can be washed.

Kat Sews 01-08-2012 11:46 AM

I recycle lids from old plastic packing crates. It cuts easily with my old rotary cutter and is machine washable. Very stiff, no sag and lasts longer than the fabric.

joysewer 01-08-2012 02:15 PM

I use foam core board. I round off the corners a bit so you don't have that sharp point wearing on the fabric.

Up North 01-08-2012 02:33 PM

I use self stick floor tiles two put together. Cover with a sleeve that matches the inside of the bag.

wuv2quilt 01-08-2012 02:57 PM

I had the DH to cut a piece of acrylic and put it inside a removable "sleeve"....this way you can remove the acrylic and toss the rest in the wash as needed.