Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use to stiffen the bottom of a tote/purse?

What do you use to stiffen the bottom of a tote/purse?

I am about to make a tote bag for my DD and a purse for an upcoming trip for myself. My question is -- what does everyone use to create a flat, nonbending bottom on their bags? I don't want to put all the work into piecing a nice bag and have it droop.

In the past I have used plastic needlepoint canvas. I've always liked it because you can cut it very precisely to any size, but it is not quite as stiff as I would like. Any ideas?

Many thanks to anyone who cares to share.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Blog Entries
    What about doubling the plastic canvas ?
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Blog Entries
    I sewed two pieces together with the top one being larger to make a D. This works great.
    Name:  purse bottom end view.JPG
Views: 9414
Size:  158.5 KB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
    I am about to make a tote bag for my DD and a purse for an upcoming trip for myself. My question is -- what does everyone use to create a flat, nonbending bottom on their bags? I don't want to put all the work into piecing a nice bag and have it droop.

In the past I have used plastic needlepoint canvas. I've always liked it because you can cut it very precisely to any size, but it is not quite as stiff as I would like. Any ideas?

Many thanks to anyone who cares to share.
    I made My Dog Lilys Bag and wanted it Stiff too! I used some Plastic Binders I found at Goodwill, Not the ones with cardboard inside them But the ones Made of Solid Translusent plastic. PS: to Cut it I used a Xsacto knife

I make a fabric sleeve and insert a piece of foam core board and then sew it shut. It fits great in the corners and can be removed if you need to wash it. I've also used the plastic canvas.

I like nans suggestion. you can also use a piece of plastic. like a ruler maybe. I would do like ksdot says and make a sleeve for it that you can take it out of. the bag so it can be washed.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I recycle lids from old plastic packing crates. It cuts easily with my old rotary cutter and is machine washable. Very stiff, no sag and lasts longer than the fabric.

I use foam core board. I round off the corners a bit so you don't have that sharp point wearing on the fabric.
    Gloria 

I use self stick floor tiles two put together. Cover with a sleeve that matches the inside of the bag.

I had the DH to cut a piece of acrylic and put it inside a removable "sleeve"....this way you can remove the acrylic and toss the rest in the wash as needed.
    Happiness is a form of travel...not a destination.

If you have a sign shop nearby go in and ask for their scraps. The corrugated plastic, like campaign signs are made from, is very lightweight but strong. I got an armload of various sized scraps for $10 and have been using it for almost a year (and I make lots of purses/bags). I've tried foam core, but it bends. Plastic canvas isn't strong enough to suit me.
    I use an old rotary cutter to cut the plastic. Make fabric sleeves to put it in and leave one end open so it can be taken out when the bag is washed.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I used a fabric sleeve and DH cut a thin piece of luan panneling with rounded corners.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Nancy's Notions has something called Shape & Create and also Bag E Bottoms---these items are specially made to keep the bottom of your bag from being droopy.

Chris
    What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.

I use template plastic or use those thin cutting boards you can get from dollar store.
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Blog Entries
    I have used the heavy template plastic and also put it in a fabric sleeve.
    Traveler53

So Much Fabric, So Little Time

I use coreboard which I purchase at Joann's, cut out the size I need, and then I sew together a pillow case to fit the coreboard in. I don't sew one end so the coreboard can be taken out and the pillow case washed the same time the purse is washed.

wuv2quilt,
    My hubby cuts me out the acrylic bases too
    Kathy

BMP
    Blog Entries
    2 layers of plastic canvas works for me !!

Our Walmart sells a heavy Pellon , that I use.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I have some old clipboards that I have cut to make the bottoms of bags. Nice and sturdy, and will not sag. I cut them with a jig saw and sand the corners a bit rounded.

Blog Entries
    I've used the plastic cutting boards and the corrugated plastic. Both work great, but I'm definitely going to try the self stick tiles mentioned above. What a GREAT idea!!

This is a great idea and can be found at the dollar store or Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter View Post
    I have some old clipboards that I have cut to make the bottoms of bags. Nice and sturdy, and will not sag. I cut them with a jig saw and sand the corners a bit rounded.

Stiff Purse Bottom Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I sewed two pieces together with the top one being larger to make a D. This works great.
    Name:  purse bottom end view.JPG
Views: 9414
Size:  158.5 KB
    This is what my friends do - they found that foam core bent permanently when they carried something too heavy (in one case) or when someone banged into them/their purse at an odd angle at a quilt show (the other case) - so they came up with this double-plastic canvas idea, but they covered it with fabric for each removal (but if forgotten could still go through the wash).

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Blog Entries
    I use mat board that is normally used by picture framers. My daughter is a professional framer and she gives me all her scraps. I cut them to the size needed, glue 2 pieces together, for strength, make a sleeve, to fit, from the purse lining fabric, slip the mat board inside and then it can be removed to wash the purse. If you have a frame shop close by ask them for their scraps.

I haven't tried this yet, but I've had friends use worn out cutting mats. Cut out the good pieces for purse bottoms. I haven't worn out any mats yet.
    Alice the quilter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast