Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to stiffen the bottom of a tote/purse?

I use the Plastic canvas double & also make a sleeve for it & it holds up very well & adds no weight.

Blog Entries
    I was going to ask the same question!!!! I made one bag and it is way too flimsy...I thought about 1/4 inch acrylic from the hardware store. I love the idea of using floor tiles. The DH brought home a half box of the ugliest commercial floor tile I have ever seen, the cheapest stuff you could find. But it is perfect for a purse! Thanks!

I keep a look out for discarded plastic signing from local walmart. The signs are like cardboard but made from plastic. Just the right stiffness for the job. I got a real big one last time that will last awhile.
    Girl, raised in the South "nough said ree-nee

Wow!! Great suggestions. I haven't thought of a lot of these!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

Blog Entries
    I stock up on plastic placemats from the Clearance Aisle at WalMart. I recently purchased about 30 for $.15 each. I also use them for templates. Heavier than template plastic and a lot cheaper.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Banned
    Blog Entries
    wow..so many GOOD ideas..and some are recycled items as well...yiippee.....

I go to a local sign shop and purchase scraps of the corrugated plastic sign board. Easy to cut and works great. I make a fabric sleeve for it but don't sew it shut since I want to be able to wash it, if needed.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use plastic placemats from the dollar store and put it a removeable sleeve.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White.
    Deb

All the suggestions are great. Just to reiterate, be sure to round the corners slightly to prevent the wearing out (or poking through) the bag corners.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    I cut a piece of foam core board. I used this material for wrapping my fabric on. Like brendadawg I don't stitch the sleeve closed so it can be washed. The plastic is light in weight and easy to cut. We definitely do not need more weight in our totes!
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
    Stay flexible you won't get bent out of shape.

Barking Frog Winery, Carlton, Oregon

They have plexiglas bottoms available precut from LQS or Clothide. These run about $10/purse. The alternative that I use is going to the local home improvement store and buying a sheet of plexiglas and cutting it to the size I need. I have used Deco Bond in some purses also. Deco Bond isn't as stiff as plexigas but works well.

Blog Entries
    When I replaced my large cutting matt (it was abt. 36" x 54"), I kept it. I have my husband cut out purse bottoms from it. Works great!
    Judy

DK
    I use foam core board covered with a sleeve made from lining fabric. But I make the sleeve about 4 inches longer and tuck it in the end. Then I can remove the board and wash the cover and then reassemble.

Doreen

Blog Entries
    I have used a variety of heavy weight stabilizers, Timtex, etc. as well as a commercial product that I believe is called Baggy Bottoms. One tip I read but have not tried is to cut up any warped cutting mats that you have hanging around.
    Create with joy in your heart!

I use foam core that I cover with Contact paper and put into a sleeve. This way the Foam core will not get wet if there is a spill or Rain.

I use Pellon 71F, a very heavy, fusible interfacing. I make a sleeve to match the lining of the purse/tote, then slip the Pellon in and fuse it well. This stuff is super heavy, works really well on the bags, but when I have a large tote, I ususally double it. I like having it match the purse, especially if it's for someone else, ergo the sleeve.

I just used an old plastic place mat cut to the size need for tote, then glued the material around it or a sleeve would be ok, as you can sew it shut.

I've used an old cutting mat within a sleeve.

Lazy Girl Designs has several sizes of bottoms for her bag patterns. While they are not cheap, they are interchangeable. I find that I prefer a certain size purse so I make a variety in that size and the bottoms can be traded out. (PS-I think her purse patterns are awesome too!)

http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/produ..._E_Bottoms/c53

If you have or your guilt shop has old cutting boards you can cut them and they can be removed from the sleeve before washing. It has worked great for me.

Power Poster
    I read the other suggestions, which were great, and although I haven't finished my purse yet, I plan to use the somewhat thin plastic cutting boards, then cover with fabric. I also thought of plastic binders, as well as plastic canvas.

I use foamcore board. I just make a fabric sleeve and slip it into that to put in the bottom of the purse.

I like to use three or four layers of craft backing. I use only one piece over whole bottom including seam allowances. The other pieces I just iron inside the seam allowances

I don't like plastic canvas because it can break.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
    If you have a sign shop nearby go in and ask for their scraps. The corrugated plastic, like campaign signs are made from, is very lightweight but strong. I got an armload of various sized scraps for $10 and have been using it for almost a year (and I make lots of purses/bags). I've tried foam core, but it bends. Plastic canvas isn't strong enough to suit me.
    I use an old rotary cutter to cut the plastic. Make fabric sleeves to put it in and leave one end open so it can be taken out when the bag is washed.
    I've used this and love it. One big advantage is that it will not be ruined if something wet gets on it like the foam board. Great in diaper bags.
    OCD in the OC

I use the plastic canvas & I also use the foam material that looks like corrogated cardboard. That may be foam core. They also make yard signs out of it. The kind that the metal wire stands just slide into.
    Live everyday so that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says oh crap she's up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast