Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to expect in a retreat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-expect-retreat-t189587.html)

AshleyR 05-21-2012 02:35 AM

What to expect in a retreat?

The camp that my son is going to for a week also has a Quilting Retreat. This is a dumb question, but what *IS* a quilting retreat?? Is it a week-long class? Do they provide everything, and you just show up? Or is it a chance to take a week away from the distractions of day-to-day life and just quilt, quilt, quilt?
Not that being that close to a lake wouldn't be distracting... :)
It's in the middle of nowhere, no shopping, etc.

teddysmom 05-21-2012 02:46 AM

I'd also like to know what a quilting retreat is. It sounds interesting and fun!

ckcowl 05-21-2012 03:11 AM

different retreats have different programs- some you take all of your own stuff & work on what ever you want- away from the hustle & bustle of daily life- others offer workshops, or classes- some have a kit you can buy---each one is set up it's own way- contact them and ask---they will supply you with a (what to expect) sheet and a recommended supplies list- project/free time schedule- everything you need- just call or write & ask for an information packet. each one is different.

ArtsyOne 05-21-2012 03:15 AM

What a great opportunity for you! I've been to a quilting retreat and it is just like "ckowl" says - once you register, you will get a listing of supplies you will need to bring or that they will have on hand for you and a list of activities for which you can sign up (or not). You will meet some great new friends and get a lot done. Have a great time and let us know how you did.

zennia 05-21-2012 03:16 AM

I recently went to one that was just time to get away and quilt,quilt, quilt, but there are some with demos,lectures etc. Either way it is a time to relax,visit, come home with lots of ideas and new friends and refresh.
We took our own sewing supplies but I found it is no more then we take to quilt meetings or guilds. Just think about what you need at home to use and take it with you. A funny happened to our group. Seven of us from our quilting group went and not one of us thought to bring a square ruler to square up our blocks but because quilters are a friendly group several girls let us borrow there's. Have fun and enjoy.

Quiltngolfer 05-21-2012 03:29 AM

Don't forget to take your camera. There will be lots of projects that you will probably want to remember. What a nice opportunity!

AshleyR 05-21-2012 04:37 AM

I'm a home-body!
My husband says, "Go" but I wanted to do a little research before I contact them about it just to see if it's something I'd like. I like the idea of not having to mess with housework, meals, laundry, etc for a few days just so I could focus and finish a project or two. Of course, I'd just have to deal with it after I get home! :)

LTeachergeorge 05-21-2012 04:49 AM

I go to at least a couple retreats a year. We take our own supplies, machines, etc. It is fantastic sewing to your heart's content, being interrupted only to go to meals (that you didn't have to plan or prepare!!). The inspiration and ideas you get from being around other quilters is fantastic! My daughter-in-law takes periodic naps at them. Just a great time to unwind and rejuvenate!! DO consider going.

kristakz 05-21-2012 05:12 AM

I went to my first retreat in Feb. It was fantastic! As others have said, the plan at each retreat is different. The one I went to was completely free-form - bring your own projects and work on whatever you want. No classes or lectures scheduled, just 3 days to sew. I have the impression that most do have classes, however. I flew to mine, and carrying everything on the plane (sewing machine, tools, plus projects) was a bit of a pain. Driving would be much easier (I'm doing that in November).

mic-pa 05-21-2012 05:56 AM

retreats are a great get away. I agree what everyone else said however make sure you mark you rulers, sissors, cutters and whatever else you use with you name on it. At a retreat people "borrow" and use other peoplses stuff so you want to know what is yours.