Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What to expect in a retreat?

Blog Entries

What to expect in a retreat?

The camp that my son is going to for a week also has a Quilting Retreat. This is a dumb question, but what *IS* a quilting retreat?? Is it a week-long class? Do they provide everything, and you just show up? Or is it a chance to take a week away from the distractions of day-to-day life and just quilt, quilt, quilt?
    Not that being that close to a lake wouldn't be distracting...
    It's in the middle of nowhere, no shopping, etc.

I'd also like to know what a quilting retreat is. It sounds interesting and fun!

Blog Entries
    different retreats have different programs- some you take all of your own stuff & work on what ever you want- away from the hustle & bustle of daily life- others offer workshops, or classes- some have a kit you can buy---each one is set up it's own way- contact them and ask---they will supply you with a (what to expect) sheet and a recommended supplies list- project/free time schedule- everything you need- just call or write & ask for an information packet. each one is different.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

What a great opportunity for you! I've been to a quilting retreat and it is just like "ckowl" says - once you register, you will get a listing of supplies you will need to bring or that they will have on hand for you and a list of activities for which you can sign up (or not). You will meet some great new friends and get a lot done. Have a great time and let us know how you did.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I recently went to one that was just time to get away and quilt,quilt, quilt, but there are some with demos,lectures etc. Either way it is a time to relax,visit, come home with lots of ideas and new friends and refresh.
    We took our own sewing supplies but I found it is no more then we take to quilt meetings or guilds. Just think about what you need at home to use and take it with you. A funny happened to our group. Seven of us from our quilting group went and not one of us thought to bring a square ruler to square up our blocks but because quilters are a friendly group several girls let us borrow there's. Have fun and enjoy.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Don't forget to take your camera. There will be lots of projects that you will probably want to remember. What a nice opportunity!

Blog Entries
    I'm a home-body!
    My husband says, "Go" but I wanted to do a little research before I contact them about it just to see if it's something I'd like. I like the idea of not having to mess with housework, meals, laundry, etc for a few days just so I could focus and finish a project or two. Of course, I'd just have to deal with it after I get home!

I go to at least a couple retreats a year. We take our own supplies, machines, etc. It is fantastic sewing to your heart's content, being interrupted only to go to meals (that you didn't have to plan or prepare!!). The inspiration and ideas you get from being around other quilters is fantastic! My daughter-in-law takes periodic naps at them. Just a great time to unwind and rejuvenate!! DO consider going.

I went to my first retreat in Feb. It was fantastic! As others have said, the plan at each retreat is different. The one I went to was completely free-form - bring your own projects and work on whatever you want. No classes or lectures scheduled, just 3 days to sew. I have the impression that most do have classes, however. I flew to mine, and carrying everything on the plane (sewing machine, tools, plus projects) was a bit of a pain. Driving would be much easier (I'm doing that in November).

retreats are a great get away. I agree what everyone else said however make sure you mark you rulers, sissors, cutters and whatever else you use with you name on it. At a retreat people "borrow" and use other peoplses stuff so you want to know what is yours.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I go to a quilting retreat twice a year. It use to be that we had a teacher and we would learn a new technique, so we would get a list of fabrics we needed. Then about 8 years ago, we decided to just have 4 days of doing our own thing. Everyone would bring whatever they wanted. Some would bring UFOs, others would bring fabric to start a quilt. We usually quilt until 2 am. At our retreat, they feed us breakfast, lunch and dinner plus coffee and tea anytime we want it. Everyone brings snacks. We eat way too much. We oohhh and aahhh over everyone's projects and drive to a nearby town and hit the quilt shop to pick up fabric. It's always so much fun. It seems every year it's the same bunch but usually we get a new face. We take in new people and treat them well, so don't worry about being new. You will love it. The comraderie (sp?) is great. I usually bring projects that are halfway finished...2 or 3 of them...and finish them up there. We bring our own sewing machines. We have 3 ironing boards that we purchased put away in a closet there and we designate who brings the irons. We usually have 3 cutting mats sitting on a table for everyone to use, along with a couple of rulers. A lot of us bring small cutting mats and our own rulers to put beside our station. That is the only retreat I go to, so I don't know how other places do it. Just ask. You'll love it.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have been to one retreat this year and am getting ready to go to one in June. One thing that happened to me last year was that I took too many classes and have had a hard time getting things completed. The retreats I go to always have a show and tell time and have wonderful drawings. Last year I won 2 fat quarter bundles and some charm packs. This year only a layer cake pack. I say go and have fun taking classes and meeting new people.
    Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
    retreats are a great get away. I agree what everyone else said however make sure you mark you rulers, sissors, cutters and whatever else you use with you name on it. At a retreat people "borrow" and use other peoplses stuff so you want to know what is yours.
    Our Guild has two retreats each year. after the last one, While packing up, the last people to leave found 6 rulers. Luckly the owner was at the next guild meeting, and we were able to return them. Make a list before you pack and double check it at home and when you pack to return home DON'T FORGET THE POWERCOURD FOR YOUR MACHINE! You will find everyone willing to loan you anything you may have forgotton but you really need your own power cord! LOL Check past topic's here there is a very complete list of what to take to most retreats. Form your tooth brush to safty pins to asprin. I think you would enjoy it.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Haven't been to "quilt camp" (that's what it was called) for a while, but my only recommendation is to bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. People sew at all kinds of odd times, and you might be awakened when they get up or come back. Or you might want to go join them.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    Oh it's definitely something to be tried out!!!

I used to host cross stitch retreats...basically just a weekend of stitching and eating at the lake...very casual and low key.

As I now quilt more I've joined in our LQS retreats and loved them. They've hosted 4 days at the lake...catered food...just sewing all day for 4 days...as long as we want, the great outdoors and a hot tub available anytime. No responsibilities. Love it!

Our LQS also holds a retreat right at their shop. The next one is in June and I'll be at that one...we sew as late as we want but we do have to go home to sleep. It's called Longest Days retreat as the sun reaches a point where it is out nearly 24 hours...so we run outside at midnight and ooh and ahh that it's still sunny out and then back inside for more sewing. As it's at the shop, we are of course tempted by all the things that we just need to have to finish whatever we're working on LOL.

Oh and our shop owner keeps everything fun by having games and prizes. I can't wait!!!
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Blog Entries
    I would try it. I havent gone to one yet but do have one planned for Jan. Some are just like a big quilt along and others have a specific class they give. I also like the idea of just getting away and not having to deal with all the hussle bussle of regular life. I would give it a try and even if you dont feel like sewing you could just hang out by the lake or maybe even go fishing. Either way youre still getting some peace and quiet and personal time.

Our guild has a great retreat in October. This year its at the Hampton Inn. We bring out machines and all of our supplies fora couple different projects. We have lunch and dinners catered and everyone brings snacks to share. We quilt and talk and learn from others. We have a show and Tell at night and play a few games. Its a lot of fun and very productive. No distractions.

I have gone on retreat with one of my Quilt guilds at least 5 times. I like that particular retreat because every minute is not planned out like the retreats my other guild offers. There is usually one project that you can be involved with but it is purely voluntary. As a stay at home housewife I have plenty of opportunity to sew and quilt at home. Most of the other participants are working so they spend every minute trying to get things done. Some of the women sew into the wee hours of the morning. I usually take a book and some handwork along with a machine sewing project. You will need to take your machine, all sewing supplies you will need and several projects ready to go. Our retreat starts on thursday evening and lasts through sunday afternoon. We meet at a church camp that doesn't provide meals until friday evening. Persons attending sign up to bring food for the meals on thursday night and breakfast and lunch on friday. Of course everyone brings their favorite snacks and enough to share. We have a small kitchen where we can heat up stuff and have room to keep our drinks cold and make coffee etc. We also have an ice maker. The sleeping accomadations are those meant for the kids. We have to take our own bedding and some of the girls even drag their own favorite sewing chair. Arriving and leaving remind me of moving day. A whole lot of sewing gets done and we have a show and tell at the end. The organizer has some simple group games that we play after supper in the evening. We usually have everyone bring a number of two inch strips of fabric and those are the prizes in a game of quilt bingo. Some times the winner gets a top made including them or with them by the end of the retreat. Quite often a number of the group of ladies go on a quilt shop hunt on saturday. Sometimes the weekend actually falls on an actual organized Quilt Shop Special Hunt Day. Those are fun since each shop has a little special gift or even refreshments on those occassions.
    I have some health issues and the fact that I have plenty of time to sew at home will probably keep me from going to any more retreats. I would highly recommend talking to others in your guild or group that have gone in the past to get a feel for the one being offered to you. They can be a whole lot of fun.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

My sister and I went to one in Nov last yr and got a lot of work done on our quilts and had a GREAT time. Ours was one w/o a special speaker or designer. Just at a lake retreat and we could quilt most of the day & night as long as we wanted to. Or we could go for walks, hayride, shopping, etc. if we chose.

As you can see, quilt retreats vary a little bit but usually the idea is to get together and sew! It is so fun to see what everyone is working on. Bring earplugs (snorers), and a pillow or two to use in your chair, your favorite snack to share and whatever you need for your sewing. It is a nice time and will enjoy looking at each others projects.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    I'm a home-body!
    My husband says, "Go" but I wanted to do a little research before I contact them about it just to see if it's something I'd like. I like the idea of not having to mess with housework, meals, laundry, etc for a few days just so I could focus and finish a project or two. Of course, I'd just have to deal with it after I get home!
    Why hubby doesn't have two hands to chip in while you're gone

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    He has two wonderful hands. He is the stay-at-home spouse so he does plenty. I think it's unfair for me to say, "Hey, I'm leaving for a weekend, so you can do it all."

Besides, I don't let either of them touch the laundry. It's an arrangement that works best!!

Blog Entries

Too Funny not to post!

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I saw this picture and it reminded me of this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

At the retreats that I go to.I take everything I want to get done.Plus we have wonderful classes.We have a news letter that says if you want to take a class.This is what you need to bring etc. They are wonderfil.I go to ones that are 3 to 5 days. Fun Fun,we do laugh a lot.

ASK! They are all different but all fun. Don't forget to pack goodies that you have denied yourself and enough to party with. A bottle of wine wouldn't hurt for late night gabfests....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast