Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to expect in a retreat?

A suggestion: make sure you take plenty of projects to work on, more than you think you need! You don't want to run out of things to do.

Our shop hosts an "overnighter" twice a year at a nearby church. It runs from 6:00 pm to 7:00 am the next morning. My boss provides a free pattern ahead of time to participants, but you don't have to make that project. I always just take several UFOs that I hope to finish up. And, of course, I take Violet, my little featherweight!

Anyway, we sew all night, eat all night (she cooks dinner, 2:00 a.m. ice cream w/all the fixin's, and breakfast; everyone brings their favorite snack for random munching) do a little group stretching and play silly games. At midnight we walk over to the shop for an exclusive sale. At the January overnighter, we have a challenge. We trade FQs and have to make something with it for next year. There is absolutely NO sleeping allowed! Heehee. As if anyone would want to sleep with all that excitement going on!

Love, love, LOVE the overnighter!

Blog Entries
    All of the retreats I have been to have been loads of fun, it is like a slumber party for quilters. We quilt, laugh, eat and in general just have fun. I would contact them for all of the details, some give classes and have vendors and some are just as others have stated, for you to work on what you want.

Blog Entries
    Depends on each one as they are different. Our guilds is very relaxed and we just do whatever we want and since it is in te fall we also have a halloween parade whee we vote for the best, funniest costumes.

I went to one, for a day and enjoyed it very very much.. The area was a park like with glassed in rooms with lots of wall plugs, you took your own stuff to work on and they provided lunch. It really was fun and relaxing. It was planned by a guild president. Go if you can aford it. Some are out rageously expensive, some provide a sewing project and some don't. You are wise to check and see what they offer first and depending on how long you want to stay. Have fun; if your hubby says go; I would go and enjoy myself.

Banned
    Good advice given about finding out what the plans are. However, go thru your stash, UFO's and other stuff and take plenty of projects to do or finish. The clue will be if they have structured activities. If not then what you work on is up to do. Our GuiltGuy retreats are unstructured so each will work on his own projects.
    I usually take plenty of things that I may need to finish or work on (start). Last time, I had a single block that I would never use, but took it along and added borders to make it into a small quilt. Another time I made blocks to be used as a sample in an upcoming class. If you are starting a new quilt, then do your cutting at home as often space and equipment is limited. Assume you are on a desert island and heed to have everything you will need to make a project. As I said, our retreats are unstructured other than one evening we did a jelly roll race and another played LRC for fat quarters. I gave a lecture at one retreat in which half the group was working on a specific project while the others just did their own thing. So, finding out what the planners have in mind is the first thing to know and then plan from there.
    and MARK all your tools and equipment as there is a tendency for them to get mixed with exchanges and borrowing.
    Last edited by Holice; 05-23-2012 at 05:58 AM.

I've never been to one, but I think I'd like it!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I go to about 5 each year. I am in several groups and each one is different. One about 3 hours drive away is at a real nice comfortable place and you bring what you want to work on with all meals provided. Fabric is available right there in case you forgot something or need something to try out a block that you saw there. Another closer to home is small (12 people max) and it is comfortable, but you have to bring all your food and cook your meals. We had a schedule so that no one had to plan or make more than 1 meal for the 3 days. It worked out well! Another one is about 2 hours drive away and you bring what you want to work on and short classes on a technique or a block are available and optional to participate in. Food is provided and you walk to the other building (so you get some exercise) when it is time to eat. We also for all three bring snacks that are available in case you get hungry off schedule. I always get a lot done and also have enough room to layout a big quilt so that I can check it before sewing together or layout the back to be big enough to fit. Have been going for over 12 years and I would not miss them now!
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Power Poster
    Those sound like so much fun!

I love our retreat. It is at a tennis ranch in central Texas. We take all our sewing supplies and (our personal belongings)which if we are taking a class are furnished to us a head of time. There are about 30 of us every year. We sew in one big room. All our food is furnished and our beds are make up for us everyday. All we do is Sew, shop, eat, and Sleep. We can sew 24 hours a day if we want to. We usually have a well known quilter attend and take her class, but no one has to. You can just sew on what you want to or read a book. We learn so much from each other. You do have to be a member of the quild in order to attend. I attend every year even though I don't live where the quild is located anymore, I just pay my dues. I love this quild and I sure do miss them. They have about 95 members and the quild where I live now only has 30 members, but I enjoy it also. I can't say anything about other retreats as I have only attended this one, but I have heard about another one but they have to take their bedding and their food and even cook it, that is not for me, I want to just sew, sew, sew.

craftybear compiled a list of things to take on a retreat, after everyone posted to her what they would take. It's a very long list but helpful so you won't forget anything, like a foot pedal, cord to your machine thread or bobbins etc. Look it up and pick and choose what you would take. I made up my own list (from hers) and store it in my word program. That way when I'm going to a class (taken many) or retreat (on my wish list to go) I can print off a copy and pack.
    gmaybee

I attend different types of retreats during the year. Our small group does three day retreats where we take all are own stuff and snacks. One year we brought food and last year we ate out (at inexpensive places but not fast food). We stay until 8 or 9 and then go home. We can leave our stuff there and come back the next day. Some of the ladies work so they can't come all three days but since we don't pay for it it doesn't matter. Our guild holds 2 retreats every year, one away and one where we have our classes. At the one away we bring food or eat out. At the one in town we usually bring food. Again, we bring snacks and can leave our stuff when we go home at night.
    I also attend 2 retreats a year at a YMCA camp about 3 hours away. I go when the retreat is 4-6 days long to make it worthwhile carting all that stuff. I have a Honda CRV and I fill it up. We have to take bedding and towels and snacks. I always take way more than I finish, but at least I never run out things to do. They provide meals and boy are they goood.

I miss going to my guilds retreats, but get to take GD to quilt camp this Summer. I love retreats to get away not have to worry about anything good food, friends, quilting, sharing, learning something new. I just wish I could live at a retreat wouldn't life be grand! But that is why we enjoy them so much.

Don't forget your foot pedal and power cord for your machine!!! :-)

TMK
    Can I have this one????????

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    I saw this picture and it reminded me of this!

you will have fun fun fun. 10 girls and i use to go on a retreat every 3 months at this quilt lodge in east tennessee,we would take UFO's and sometimes one of the girls would come up with a quilt for us to do or whatever most of the time it was free style. the lodge closed and i haven't been on a retreat in about 4 years. really do miss it. let us know how it goes for you.

Blog Entries
    I probably won't be going, but pm me if you want the website to the campground.

Quote Originally Posted by fabric9patcher View Post
    you will have fun fun fun. 10 girls and i use to go on a retreat every 3 months at this quilt lodge in east tennessee,we would take UFO's and sometimes one of the girls would come up with a quilt for us to do or whatever most of the time it was free style. the lodge closed and i haven't been on a retreat in about 4 years. really do miss it. let us know how it goes for you.

I love retreats!! I went to the first one that just "spoiled" me. The leader went all out with door prizes, machine embroidery name tags, lots of things!! There were fat quarters for door prizes and games. We took our machines and supplies, projects to finish, etc. There were several cutting stations and ironing boards up, so we didn't have to take those. Be sure to ask, because it saves a lot of space in your car if you don't have to take them. They had a full kitchen with food that someone brought. It was included in our fee. We all took turns putting things together, not cooking much, just fast things, so we had more time to visit, sew and eat! There were lots of desserts, incl. chocolate!!
    It was just so much fun! Some of us quilted until 2 or 3 am, some didn't. Some did machine embroidery. I think it was for 4 nights, Thurs. - Sun.
    It was in East Texas. We had wonderful weather. No distractions, except what everyone else was working on. It IS a GOOD idea to take your camera, like someone suggested. You will get many ideas about what to make when you get home. I would love to go to another one soon. If anyone in TX knows of one on the coast or in E. TX, please let me know. I live in Jamaica Beach, Galveston. We could do one down here if enough want to come. It is a walk to the beach. Weather is wonderful!
    Kathy Phillips

Retreat I go to in July runs Friday to Sunday, Thursday and Monday are considered travel days for those who live a distance. We stay at motels, sew as long as we want in the large workroom of a nearby quilt shop. We usually have breakfast at our motel and then to go the shop, some gals go out for lunch and some order in, one year dinners were catered by a local chef and were served in a large room upstairs of the quilt's workshop., last year everyone went to a nearby restaurant. There is one gal who arranges for the workroom at the quilt shop and we make our own motel reservations. Everyone brings their machines, extension cords, sewing supplies (threads, rulers rotary cutters, etc.), a project or two to work one and drinks and snacks to share. We have an annual challenge, this year's we each picked 3 crayons and our quilts must feature the 3 colors. Everyone has a trick or techinque to share with others.

I've been at a really big retreat which included our motel room, meals, large conference room set up as a workroom, nationally know quilt teacher who gave us lots of quilt gifts, a special project and trips to local quilt shops. We had the option of bringing our own machines or renting one. Of course, this was more expensive but really was fun and instructive at the same time.

Is this a week long quilt retreat where you stay at the camp or do you attend daily and return home at night?

Quote Originally Posted by fabric9patcher View Post
    Here is a wonderful place for a retreat. I know a group that does a monthly one there that lasts 3-4 days. Last Monday I was walking down the hall after class and bumped into a couple of ladies that I didn't know were there but they decided they wanted to spend a couple of days together before one of the moved to FL. Check it out. It really isn't that far from TN, especially the western part.

http://www.threadsoftimefab.com/

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure how long, but you don't return home. They have a big cabin that sleeps like 12 people and little cabins that sleep 8 each. I'm not sure where they put ya! The kids in summer camp obviously get the 8-person cabins. But I can't imagine them putting us in bunk beds!

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
    Is this a week long quilt retreat where you stay at the camp or do you attend daily and return home at night?

Red face Greatest Retreat

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    The camp that my son is going to for a week also has a Quilting Retreat. This is a dumb question, but what *IS* a quilting retreat?? Is it a week-long class? Do they provide everything, and you just show up? Or is it a chance to take a week away from the distractions of day-to-day life and just quilt, quilt, quilt?
    Not that being that close to a lake wouldn't be distracting...
    It's in the middle of nowhere, no shopping, etc.
    I live in Southern Indiana and go to a retreat each March. It isn't strictly quilting though, about 5 of us quilt, the others make cards, jewelry, other crafts. There are 2 quilt shops within 30 miles. The retreat is limited to 15, we have our own rooms with shared baths, we team up in groups of 3-4 to fix one meal. We are there from Thursday until Sunday - the cost?? Less than $100 each! The best part is quite a few of the ladies that go play dulcimers or other musical instruments and every night we have a "jam" session which we really enjoy. It is in the cool little town of New Harmony, IN

I started going to retreats at the bequest of my friend Char about four years ago. We go to a couple of different places. We have been to a house in Manhattan KS where we just rented the house and did our own cooking amongst our guild members that could attend. We worked on our own UFO's and it is fun. We have also gone to the Manna House in Concordia KS where they do all of the cooking. I only knew one other person at this retreat but I had loads of fun regardless and now I have taught at that retreat also. For me it is the joy of being with others who love to Quilt. Is is a time of fellowship also. I hope you decide to try one some day. Christina
    Somewhere in OZ sewing like a fool.

Blog Entries
    The two retreats that I have been to, you bring your own projects and supplies. I over planned and took several. There was a quilt shop nearby, walking trails, lake, and other activities to give you a break from quilting. Some of the things that I like best was that I made new friends and got to know friends better, learned new tricks, and that quilters would give their shirt off their back if you needed it. And you could sew until we hours of the night. The retreats that I went on we're only for the weekend and I would have preferred longer to add value of lugging all that stuff. And I didn't have to cook!

If you could go for a week, go you will enjoy yourself so much that you will be looking forward to next yer.
    The Quilting Bear

Blog Entries
    A retreat, then, is a little bit of heaven on earth, eh?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast