Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What kind of thread do you use for machine applique? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-kind-thread-do-you-use-machine-applique-t84345.html)

stewyscrewy 12-21-2010 02:07 PM

I use silk for hand applique and regular threads that match in color the background fabris, for machine applique.

Boopers 12-21-2010 07:06 PM

I use Guttermanns Hand Quilting Thread to do a blanket or buttonhole stitch. If I am doing a satin stitch I use Sulky or Medera Rayon or Isofil.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-21-2010 07:32 PM

I haven't machine appliqued in awhile but I always used regular thread and it worked fine.

eparys 12-21-2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
I have used both Embroidery and regular. It is cheaper to use regular and I don't have to set up my thread differently.

I too use either Embroidery or regular. My driving factor is if it is a blanket stitch I use the regular - but if i am using a satin stitch then I use the embroidery thread.

Mkotch 12-22-2010 03:57 AM

Regular cotton thread works fine in my machine, and I have also had good luck with rayon. It has a nice shiny look. Use whatever works and looks good!

okiequilter 12-22-2010 04:25 AM

If I'm doing a blanket stitch and I want it to look "hand done" I use Sulky 12 wt black cotton thread and use my heirloom stitch menu on my machine and it will look like you did it by hand with embroidery floss. The blanket stitch on the heirloom menu on my machine goes over every stitch twice. I have a Viking Diamond but I'm sure all the newer machines have a stitch like this.

dusty222 12-22-2010 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR
It depends on what type of applique I'm doing and if I want the stitching to show or not.

If I'm doing a decorative stitch like blanket stitch, I'll use a heavier cotton thread so it shows up more. For a satin stitch, I want the threads to lie nicely next to one another, so then I might use a shiny polyester like Isacord.

If I'm doing the invisible applique using a blind hem stitch, I may use a finer polyester like Sew Fine or Bottom Line, or if I don't want to change thread colors then a clear polyester thread like Monopoly

Not a very definitive answer, was it??? LOL

No, it's not a definitive answer, but a good one. That's pretty much how I do it also.

applique 12-22-2010 06:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I use "regular" weight thread for very small tight areas, but 99.9% of the time I use Mettler 30 weight (it has orange writing around the top). My industrial machines do a very tight satin stitch and it also helps make the heavy weight stiffener on the back fall off easily.

satin stitch showing on the back of the stiffener which is already peeling away.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146892[/ATTACH]

stiffener is gone
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146893[/ATTACH]

front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146898[/ATTACH]

closeup of stitches which should be flat and smooth
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146899[/ATTACH]

quiltsru 12-22-2010 06:49 AM

if you use invisible thread what do you use in your bobbin, the same?

quilt3311 12-22-2010 07:10 AM

I like Essentials from Connecting Threads and Marathon thread that I get at AQS vendors at their shows. Marathon also has a rayon thread.